Yearly reminder!

Crazy4Elk

That time of year again to remind you all!!!!!
Here is your reminder what can happen if you do not check your arrows before shooting.....by the way carbon does not show up on a xray. So you will be digging carbon out of you hand for months.
Apr03_002.jpg

101_0381.jpg

101_0382.jpg

101_0383.jpg

101_0384.jpg

The tail shaft was stuck into my hand.
101_0385.jpg

I've heard of this happening (arrow blowing up); but, what are the details?

How the heck can this happen?

OUCH! That doesn't look fun at all my friend, but thanks for posting it up...nothing like a few pics to cement the importance of checking your arrows between shots. For the guys who asked how it happens, generally it goes something like this: when the arrow is released it flexes quite extremely as it leaves the bow (check YouTube for slo-mo archery footage...you'll be amazed). This flexing is normal and in itself not dangerous unless your arrow is SEVERELY underspined. The danger comes when in a previous shot the arrow has sustained some unseen damage. This damage usually comes from the impact of another arrow. The arrow has unseen cracks and/or splinters that have caused it to become weakened to the point of breaking at release, when the energy from the bow is transferred into it. Always flex your arrows between shots, especially if you're shooting tight groups and your arrows are coming into contact with one another. Flexing the arrows will generally alert you to any cracks or other damage the shaft might have. There are other ways an accident like this can happen, such as the arrow coming off the rest and getting "jammed" between the arrow rest and the bow's riser or shelf, although the damaged arrow is the more common culprit. Bottom line...be careful! Bows store a ton of energy, and deserve respect. THANKS AGAIN FOR POSTING...GLAD THE INJURY WAS RELATIVELY MINOR!!!

Bummer! I guess you are lucky it wasn't worse. I shoot Easton FMJ that are aluminum/carbon mix. Has anybody had anything like this happen with a mixed arrow?

It can happen and has happened with all arrows and all brands carbon arrows are more prone to it because damage to the shaft is often times less obvious. Always flex your arrows and check them make sure there is no damage to the shaft before shooting it.

As importent make sure your arrow is on the rest when you shoot it most of the injurys i have seen are a result of the arrow not being on the rest when it is shot.

Like Backinthegame said there is a lot of energy being transfered when an arrow is shot, so be careful and take a few extra seconds to make sure you stay safe.

That is creaping me out. Not the kind of accident you want to have miles from your vehicle or the nearest hospital. I guess it not the kind of accident you want to have period. I will start checking my Easton FMJ's. Thanks for the post.

JR

Also one other comment about this paticular issue. Although I have no idea about this injusry I would say that typically if an arrow breaks into 1 piece it is due to damage to the shaft and the arrow breaks in 1 place were it was damaged.

the damage of this arrow was most likly caused from a compression from a jammed arrow which will cause the arrow to explode into multiple pieces.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom