Yellowstone Bull - Pointers???

O_S_O_K

Spent a day in Yellowstone over the 24th of July and came across this dude.

I am new to photography and I am using a Nikon D5000.

What do you guys think? Any advice or pointers?

44dsc_0782c.jpg

4436dsc_0801c.jpg

This one is my favorite!

8086dsc_0815c.jpg

Also came across this little lady, but she wouldn't come out into the light for me.

3184dsc_0709.jpg

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

OSOK,
I envy your day in Yellowstone. It has been about 15 years since I have been to that jewel.

My general thoughts on the images:
*The harsh midday light is tough for exposures and too contrasty with the bright light and deep shadows. Maybe a lightly overcast day or when the sunrise/sunset light first hits or leaves at a low side angle would be better.
*Check your histogram after the shot to see if you have not blown out the highlights (like the bull's side in #1 or the rump in #3). Adjust exposure accordingly.
*Maybe frame some vertically, for like #3, so you can get all the legs and some of the ground he is standing on.

What lens, ISO, f/stop, shutter speed did you use?

Keep em coming!

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

Thanks for the feedback redrabbit!

I am very new to photography. I have mainly been shooting with my Nikon D5000 in the auto modes and from time to time I play with the manual settings.

I am still learning how to use and play with the ISO, f/stop and shutter speed adjustments and how they impact the end result.

I don't yet fully understand how to read the histogram and make decisions from it (man there is a lot to learn with this stuff).

To that point I have bought a couple of books and I play around with it as much as I can.

I would have much rather taken the photos early in the morning or late in the evening as I have also noticed very quickly that this seems to be the best type of light, but I had to shoot him when I could :)

The photos above were enhanced by me with editing software but let me attach a couple of the original, unedited .jpegs for your review.

9595dsc_0782.jpg

3306dsc_0815.jpg

Zigga - Are you kidding me? You come on here asking for information about an animal that I have pegged and then claim you don't want any honeyholes? That there was funny!!! :)

We ran across him on the road between Norris and Madison closer to Madison.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Here's a few more pics I took that day. Tell me what you think.

8726dsc_0655.jpg

1911dsc_0713.jpg

4802dsc_0606.jpg

6149dsc_0734.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom