Yellowstone Elk

• Thread starter HornyHunter (Guest)
  • Start date
H

HornyHunter (Guest)

Just got back from a trip to Teton National Park, and Yellowstone. Saw tons of elk, and they were really bugling. I brought my Cow Call, and had a lot of excitement hiking into areas away from the roads, and blowing on it. I was able to call several bulls to within 20 yds..
I even got my wife to come and sit with me and see and experience the excitement.
I would recommend this to anyone like me, who didn't draw a tag. It is almost as fun as being out hunting, and you see a lot more animals. Just remember to hike away from the roads, at least a 1/2 mile.
I did notice a few weird things:

1. I saw 2 different herds, where a smaller size 5 X 5 was the herd bull. I thought that was strange, given that there should have been bigger bulls.

2. I only saw one trophy bull, that may have gone @360. I saw lots of 300ish bulls, but only the one trophy bull.

3. I had a run in with a ranger, who said that I was "harassing" the animals, by calling to them. He told me to quit. I tried to reason with him, but he would not listen. I waited for him to leave, a resumed my calling. Harrassing the animals??? Do you think what I was doing was harassing the animals???

I guess kingfish is right. We may not think so but our opinion doesn't count much out there. Personally I don't think so.

It says right in the propaganda that they give you when you enter the park, that you are not to harrass the wildlife, meaning calling, chasing, molesting etc. I personaly don't think you were really hurting anything, but they do...

Having grown up around Yellowstone, I will tell you that its not really known for having monster bulls. I personally havn't seen a bull in the park that will go over 370. I have been there many times, and watch the huge heards during the winter, the average size of the bulls is a around 310-320, a really nice bulls push 350. They just don't have the minerals in the gound to make the large racks.

There was more than likely a good bull around, you may have scared him off or he was off in the woods watching his heard, knowing that there wasn't a cow in eustrus, and knowing the little bull wouldn't have a chance... The cows decide who they want to breed with.

I really like going to the park during the rut too, its fun to see all the action...

Ivan

Some of the park rangers are extreme environmentalists and act like they own the place. You are lucky he didn't write you a ticket. I had park rangers give me a hard time because I was catching too many fish. He knew that I wasn?t breaking any regulations; I think he didn't like the idea of anyone fishing in the park.

YOU HAVE TOO REALIZE THE FOREST SERVICE DOES NOT WANT A LAW SUIT SLAPPED AGAINST THEIR ASS BECAUSE SOME BULL ELK GOT PISSED WHEN YOU BLEW YOUR HORN AND HE STOMPED YOUR HINY!!

DO YOU REMEMBER,'DON'T FEED THE BEARS'??

HOW BOUT THE GUY HARRASSING THE BUFFALO IN THE PARK??THE BUFFALO HOOKED HIS SORRY ASS AND THROWED HIM RIGHT UP A TREE!

I SUPPOSE IF YOUR WIFE TOLD YOU NOT TO GO PLAY WITH THE NEIGHBOR LADY,THE FIRST THING YOU'D DO WAS GO TRY IT HUH?

THE ONLY TOMCAT WONDERING HOW OLD DO THESE PUNKS HAVE TO BE BEFORE THEY START LISTENING TO THE VETERANS??

Bambistew
You mean that it is illegal to molest wildlife? Holy crap, what other reason is there to go to Jellystone than to cop a feel with some critters? What is next, out-lawing intimate relations with fish? Wuuuuhhaaahaaahahaawwuuaahaaaaa....
Eric
062802drink_prv.gif

SHIIIIIT!! half these morons working for the national parks and forest service are fresh out of college dipwads or environmentalist driving around in a brand new $50,000 pick up making $45,000 a year just to tell you "Sir, please don't rape our elk!" They don't want you to be there in the first place. I know some good ones but most I have met are just like I described above!

hey duch just because some of us are going to college doesnt mean you have to nock us for doing something and being aboe to drive $50,000 trucks. Thats just like everyone elses job they wouldent let a person come in and play with a mackanics tools woud you well these people dont want to be fired either.
got to go to class
have fun

SHIIIIIT!! half these morons working for the national parks and forest service are fresh out of college dipwads or environmentalist driving around in a brand new $50,000 pick up making $45,000 a year just to tell you "Sir, please don't rape our elk!" They don't want you to be there in the first place. I know some good ones but most I have met are just like I described above!

college boy, I didn't mean it that way, don't take it out of context. Like I said I personally know some of these people who have been in there a few years and are very good people and do a great job! So I wasn't referring to everyone. But I also have personally witnessed some of the others doing nothing but driving around on my dime. One day we went up to fish some small streams, got to the trail around 8:30, hiked in about half a mile and there is a forest service guy up against a tree sleeping! I couldn't believe it. then he got all mad because we were up there to go fishing. He started questioning us about licenses, where we could go what we could do. IT'S PUBLIC LAND YOU MORONS!!!!! So I wasn't referring to you don't worry.
Better get to your english class now. Good luck.

I don't think he was talking about elementary school. From the sounds of your post it appears you haven't graduated 6th grade. Oh you are listed as college boy. Did you skip grammar school?

sorry about the english i was never good at it i just wanted to get my point accross i am going into wildlife bio and i just didnt think you should knock kids trying to pay for college working at a park personally i would get anoyed with people if they were breaking the rules every day i have bugled at the elk in yellowstome my self but i can see where it might get people hurt or something sorry

college boy....hope you never get a job in the wildlife field. With that attitude i would never hire you.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I think that the rangers heart is in the right place. He's with the park service where they have had people sue the them for WILD animals not behaving. There are people out there that would pet a large bull elk or a bison in the middle of the rut. Although you may think he was unreasonable, I think he didn't care about you the customer. There are some lazy people out there, but for most people their trying to do what they think is right even if they have different beliefs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom