Yes, Im asking for help

Maxxy

So I have moved all over the place the past 12 years, and haven't had a chance to hunt much since my teenage years other than a Utah Bull tag in 2011, but I have recently moved to Colorado (Parker to be exact) and I would love to get an OTC non-resident deer or Elk tag but I have ZERO knowledge of the area and while it is on short term notice I am pretty flexible with work so I would love to get out and have a shot, albeit small to harvest this year, but more importantly give me a good idea of what I am in for next year and also give me a bit more knowledge of the lay of the land.

So, can anyone tell me a few options for OTC deer and/or Elk that are leftover this year? Any help is appreciated. I don't mind hiking, and would prefer to have a hard hunt as long as Im not running into someone around every corner. Archery/Rifle, doesn't matter, just the best option available.

Thanks in advance.

Also, What are prerequisites to become a resident in Colorado? I want to jump on that for this coming year.

There are no OTC deer tags. There might be some left over tags, but they would have been picked over by now. Your best bet would be an OTC bull elk or left over cow elk tag. If you are still a nonresident for this year, then getting a cow tags accomplishes two things: helps you learn an area, and costs over $200 less.

As far as what it takes to have residency status. Here is what the regs say:

These are the requirements to qualify as a Colorado resident to buy a hunting
license:
1. You must live in Colorado at least six consecutive months immediately before
applying for or buying a license, and must intend to make Colorado home
(except No. 3 and No. 4 below). The residence address you give to buy or apply
for a license must be the same as on your Colorado income tax return.
2. A valid Colorado driver?s license or Colorado ID is proof of residency if
it was issued at least six months prior to buying a hunting license. If your
ID or driver?s license was issued or renewed less than 6 months prior
to purchasing a hunting license, you must provide documentation that
proves you have been a resident for the required six-month period.
3. U.S. military personnel and military personnel of U.S. allies on active
duty in Colorado under permanent orders and their dependents. This
includes people who were Colorado residents when they entered the military
and keep Colorado as their home of record, and their dependents
(with Colorado as their home of record). Also included are personnel of
the U.S. Diplomatic Service or diplomatic services of nations recognized
by the U.S. assigned here on permanent active duty orders and their dependents.
Active duty does not include reserve status or National Guard.
4. Full-time students enrolled and attending an accredited Colorado college,
university or trade school at least six months immediately before applying
for or buying a license. This includes students who are temporarily absent
from Colorado but still enrolled. Colorado residents who attend school full
time, out of state and pay nonresident tuition qualify for a resident license.
5. Children under 18 have the same residency status as their parent, legal
guardian or person with whom they live most of the time per court order.
6. If you have a home in Colorado and another state, call (303) 297-1192
to make sure you comply with Colorado residency requirements before
obtaining a hunting or fishing license.
7. Except as in No. 3 and No. 4 above, you lose your Colorado residency
if you apply for, buy or accept a hunting or fishing license as a resident
of another state or country; register to vote outside Colorado or get a
driver?s license using an address in another state.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-13 AT 02:02PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-13 AT 02:00?PM (MST)

This is my interpretation of the Colorado law:

Colorado requires 6 months of residency AND a drivers license for 6 months in the state of Colorado.

You can get a waiver on the length of time that you've had the CO drivers license IF you can prove residency for 6 months prior AND you have the CO drivers license at the time you purchase the deer tag.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. It's been 12 years since I hunted elk. Never hunted deer in Colorado. I'm going to be using a TC Hawken .54 rifle for deer this year. Not hunting elk this year. I'm 42, but due to surgeries that have left me with a back full of stainless steel and slightly limited mobility, I'm not in as good of shape as I was when I was 35, so hiking around at 12k feet is not gonna happen until I get through more physical therapy and gain my strength back. I'm going to try hunting plains deer with 100,000 other yahoos.

I've been a resident for 20yrs, but the recession got to my industry and I ended up moving to Missouri in 2011 for a job. My wife called it "Misery" the whole time we were there. We couldn't stand it, so we moved back home in late 2012. I've just been too lazy to go get my drivers license. I need to go do it soon. I can prove residency for a minimum 6 months, so that satisfies the DOW for residency, as long as I have a valid CO drivers license when I purchase the tag.

I sure wish I knew a farmer that hated deer. My uncle in Kansas used to raise beef, but he's old and retired now. We can't buy any beef from him anymore and I'm terrified to feed my kids the beef you buy at the local grocery stores. I buy pork and chicken from a guy in Fort Morgan anyway, so it won't be hard to come up with a side of beef if I get skunked.

I want to try and shoot 5 or 6 does. I can shoot my muzzleloader for all the rifle seasons and I also have a pretty flexible work schedule. I'll feel blessed if I shoot 1 with a muzzleloader but a guy can dream, eh?

Thanks for the input. I really mean it though, even if the area isnt great, do you really think there isnt a tag on the western half of the state worth at least getting out and having a shot? Again, I understand they prob have been picked through, but do you think to the point that it just inst worth it?

Id prefer not to buy a cow tag, never has been my cup of tea, although it would help me get to know an area.

Anyway, I appreciate the help and the info on the residency was super helpful.

Thanks again!

To the original poster: get yourself some Colorado hunting regulations and a map showing public and private land (gazetteer). Look for units that are OTC for elk that have abundant public land. Go hunting! Regardless of whether or not your a resident. would you rather sit around and be miserable and let everyone else kill the elk? A cow tag is cheaper and there are still some of those leftover. . .

Here is another link that is your friend:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Pages/Statistics.aspx

Can search unit by unit for numbers of hunters and hunter success and population estimates by unit.

As stated above you really need to pick up a copy of the hunting regs. For starters, I would get a physical copy (usually have them where they sell licenses). Yes, you can get all the info by looking online, but I like to look at a physical map so you can see all the game units in relationship to each other. But if you are more computer savy than I, the internet will do.

As far as not getting a cow tag, you have to realize that coming home with a bull elk on your first try would be fairly unlikely. So if you want to spend almost $600 for 15% odds of taking one, go for it. But if you are like me, you will be excited when you see ANY elk, and it would provide a freezer full of meat. If you want a bull, check for left over first season tags. They would be your best bet

Good luck

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You have to ignore the stats on hunters and harvest, they are cooked. They don't separate private land from public.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom