YIKES!

rifleman

looks like i'm going to have to find a somewhere else to hunt mule deer. NR deer tag went up $200! guess montana is getting like all of the rest of the states when it comes to nonresident hunters. big game combo is now $912 so i guess i won't be going there for my first elk either. sure love that part of the country though.

I know me and 5 of my friends that hunt there every year aren't going back until the lower the price back down. With the wolves in there area we hunt the game is taken a hit. Its just not wurth it any more. Great times in a great place but there is a limit how much we will pay especialy with the economy the way it is now. I feel for all the poeple up there that rely on the income the get from the out of state hunters.

maybe next year.

I know. Lets all hunt New Mexico! There will be a lot better option. Instead of everyone being in an equal drawing pool you can pay $90.00 to draw in a 2% pool of tags. You may pay more to hunt Mt, but at least you get to hunt.

I'm wondering how much if any will the number of non-res apps drop this year due to the higher cost of the combo tag?? I know last year they were selling left over tags on a first come first served basis at the begining of September-Hatrick

I know as a resident, if they would offer me a second "A" tag (either sex either species) I'd more than willingly pay $500 dollars for it.

How did they have leftover combo tags last year and i put in for a combo tag and did not draw. If that is the truth something is not right with the way they draw tags.

There were no general combo tags left over. But about half of the outfitter combo tags didnt sell. So fwp ended up selling them first come first serve starting around end of September. For the same price as the general tags.

If i draw the big game combo tag then don't draw any special permits I might just give the combo tag back. It might cost me a couple hundred bucks but it's better then $900+. I have 7 elk points ( probably a lot of people do ) so kind of stuck applying tell i draw a good permit.

Add together what a deer tag and an elk tag and a fishing license and small game license would cost you in any western state and i bet the 900 bucks is not out of line at all. Yeah it sucks that they went up but gotta pay to play.

If you dont like it get your home states to reduce what they charge me to hunt your state and Ill see what I can do for you.

Still a good deal IMO, when you consider you have almost 3 months between archery and rifle to plan a hunt and you can hunt both elk and deer in the rut. Not sure if that's even possible in other states.

I will continue to pay. But I see Montana elk tags becoming worthless much like the elk and deer tags in Idaho because of wolves. Give it sometime and they might be free.

>If i draw the big game
>combo tag then don't draw
>any special permits I might
>just give the combo tag
>back. It might cost me
>a couple hundred bucks but
>it's better then $900+. I
>have 7 elk points (
>probably a lot of people
>do ) so kind of
>stuck applying tell i draw
>a good permit.

So Montana isn't worth hunting without a special permit? Funny stuff.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-11 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]Who said that? It's about cost not " worth it ". I love MT. I go two or three times a year. I go is Spring for cattle branding, prairie dog shooting, then hunting season and other stuff.

I have hunted montana with the regular big game combo 5 of the last 7 years ( every year I was able to draw ). I have killed good bucks every year. I hunt on a friends ranch in unit 410. In the past I always drew the big game combo because it was easier to draw then just the deer tag. I can't hunt elk in unit 410 ( I see many big bulls a year but cant draw ) so the elk tag goes to waist every year. so this year I might not keep the tag if I don't draw a special permit. I might just hunt every other year instead of every year ( if i draw ).

I might try and draw 417 or 412 this year. I have ranches I can hunt in those units and they are a little easier to draw then 410.

Hunted deer in montana last year, with the price increase this year i'm going to have to pass.

I bet draw odds on the big game combo are 100%...and the deer draw draw odds double. The returned outfitter tags that were taken out of the regular quota have been tough for them to sell at the old price. Add those and the increased price....Draw odds have to go up!

Interesting conversation indeed. I love the state of Montana and admire the residents concern of the outfitters locking up the private lands and pricing out of reach. Understand that raising the price of a general NR tag out of reach for most causes a ripple effect towards the local economy throughout Montana. I am fortunate enough to be able to keep it in my budget, but the game department did not price this out of reach. The voters did.

we made more money this year off nr tags than we ever have,that was the reason they changed the system.

NONYA, I get that the fish and game dept made more money. The voters didnt make any money off of it. And unfortunately there are thousands of people that decided to take their money elsewhere at the expense of the small communities that count on the NR's money for their businesses.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-11 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]We have already sold more tags this year than in years past,all of those hunters will be spending money in our community's.I dont see your point...we have more hunters headed our way and many more of them will be doing DIY hunts,staying in motels,buying groceries,fuel,ect,ect where are the community's loosing out?

Approx 90% of FWP's budget is funded by NRs 10% by res. Game harvest 90% res 10% NR. Not to metion the differnce in fed funds through the Pitman act. Lets hope that we dont piss the NR's off to much.

seldomseeninmontana, I would pay triple in resident fees to turn your name into neverseeninmontana! Don't think for a minute your are financing my hunting and making things better for me and I need to kiss your hiney to keep your money here. If you want to hunt here pay the money and come hunt, if you don't stay home and invest your money into another state that offers a better deal.

You got me Buzz. I'm not sure of the BM funding split. I do know that NRs don't fund 90% of our FWP budget. Guys like seldomseen seem to think they are doing the state of Montana a great favor by hunting here. The state will survive regardless of whether or not NRs get "pissed". mtmuley

Mtmuley and buzz I'm not trying to make you mad I was quoting an article in March/april issue of Muley Crazy writen by Dr. Charles Kay called Doomed For Failure on page 30 is where the information I got was from. On straight Res vs NR elk & deer what I could find is Res $11,273,760 Vs NR 17,997,200 or 62.64%. What worries me if we have a year where the state sells litte for NR tags what are the cuts to be? Im a 5th generation Mt and yes I own a ranch and let a limited amount of hunters on it because I'm worried that I might get someone like TKhunt and that would suck. I couldn't find any information on any of the other hunts (speed goat, bear or the big 3).

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-11 AT 05:16PM (MST)[p]I think all the NR should combine their superior wisdom and rewrite MTs entire hunting law package,then we could all sleep soundly knowing they have done what is best for us...if it wernt for hunting all you "concerned" NRs wouldnt give a ##### about MT,the people who live here year round have made sure there is game to hunt,places to hunt,liberal laws so you can hunt,if you dont like it why dont you just pack up your $900 and your shitty attitudes and hunt Canada?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom