You cut off the fat?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Some trim the fat before throwing their tri tip on the BBQ where some throw it on leaving the layer of fat on. I prefer to take the fat off so my secret sauce can filter into the meat while it cooks. What do you prefer? Please no linguica or weiner jokes.

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

Yep, leave it on.. And cook indirect after a good sear..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

What's a Tri Tip?...lol A lot of folks on here probably don't know about a Santa Maria Roast... A few years back I asked a butcher in Kanab UT if he had any Tri Tips, he didn't know what I was talking about... Seems the farther east you go the less known that cut of meat is...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I trim some, not nakid but no 1" fat layer either. Hot and fast like a steak. I rub em down with "Sniders Prime Rib Rub" and cook till 135 degrees in the center. Also like to rub with yellow mustard and rock salt....very good.

I've tried smoking them but did'nt like the texture.....leave the smoke for the brisket.

>Some trim the fat before throwing
>their tri tip on the
>BBQ where some throw it
>on leaving the layer of
>fat on. I prefer to
>take the fat off so
>my secret sauce can filter
>into the meat while it
>cooks. What do you prefer?
>Please no linguica or weiner
>jokes.
>
>Steve
>Holder of a 2012 LE Utah
>Deer Tag!!
>

Trim; no one needs that.

LMAO! I hunted in Beaver, UT and figured I would get all my groceries in Beaver instead of hauling them 600 miles across the desert. I did bring my California beer but anyway, when I got to the store in Beaver, I asked the meat department dude (pretty sure they don't really have a butcher) if they had any Tri Tips and had no clue what the hell I was talking about. I told that dude that a man hasn't truly lived until he has eaten tri tip fresh off the barbecue.

Oh and I leave the fat on for flavor.

I'm surprised so many leave the fat on. I trimmed mine nearly clean tonight and basted it with a butter, beer, worchestershire sauce, and a bit of BBQ sauce all mixed together. It turned out pretty good. I like to slow cook it over the oak. Takes me about an hour and a half to cook a tri tip the way I like it. The topper is a bit of Suzie Q's salt and we're straight! Beans, bread and a salad complete the meal just right. Of course, as the fire is dying down enough to put the tri tip on, gotta throw a few sticks of Silva's hot linguica on as an appetizer. Nothing like Santa Maria style BBQ. Nothing.....

Steve

I hear ya Wiszard. I always trim the fat off of deer meat and it's much less gamey flavored. Elk fat is fine.

That recipe sounds good too, have to give it a try.

I don't trim it, but I like to score the fat (cut slices in the fat) then when I sear the roast a higher percentage of the fat cooks away or into the meat. Heavy on the rub, garlic and onion powder, Montreal steak seasoning and fresh ground black pepper.

Any BBQ on the central coast is tri tip. In NM they dont even know what it is.
In NM it is all about brisket.

It is all good.

Trim the fat, less flare ups, takes in the marinate better.

On the ranch during each spring, we'd have up to 800 or more calves to brand every year and we always did it the old way with two teams of horses and ropers in the corral at all times. Normally, on a good weekend day, we'd do about 100 calves and plenty of friends and family were there to help or add support to the festivity once the work was done.

My Dad was the Cook! I don't remember where we got them but i do remember that they were bought by the case, they were then about the cheapest cut of beef a guy could buy, my dad cooked them over oak wood coals, fat on, black on the outside and pink in the middle, and everybody always and only referred to them as niggerheads! True!!

The first time i ever heard of a tri-tip was many years later and it took some getting used to. Not sure how the term ever got started but all the other ranchers in the area used the term as well. If or not there was any derogatory meaning behind the term, i wasn't made aware of that fact. It was what it was and man o man, dad could Q them up good!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Jim, you very well could be right as when i put the serious question to someone back then, they mentioned Ball tip! Seemed like quite a few years pass and then i see in stores and on peoples BBQ's, a chunk of meat very similar looking and tasting, to what Dad cooked so often long ago. They called it tri tip, OK by me, i figured it the same thing and now it's ok by me to stand corrected.

Maybe the Ball tip is still available and still the best deal going?? Cook it exactly like you would a tri tip with the fat on, near burnt on the outside and still pink inside. Slice that baby up and serve. Always went well with my Grandma's beans, pink beans full of Lingui?a and other goodies, potato salad, and all the cold beer you can hold!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Snort, I'm not that far East, but I never heard of tri-tip till I ended up in Santa Maria.(a very enjoyable part of my youth) Enjoyed many a bar-b-q in the Shell-Avila-Port San Luis area. I like the fat on, I'll take it off myself if need be. I see tri-tip cuts here in Montana these days. mtmuley

I leave the fat on and also use Sniders Prime Rib Rub. Slow cook at about 215-220 for about a hour and half in the Kamado pot. I also soak a cup of hickory chips and add to coals. Perfect at 135 degrees.

Joey- I have never heard of tri tip being called "nigger heads" but if the outside was blackened...I see why they called it that. In this day and age, I doubt you'll see it put that way on any menu! LOL

Just FYI- When I was younger and worked as a laborer for my father in laws construction company, any large rock we came across was given that name as well.

Steve

WIZ, DON'T BE A TIGHT ARSE AND GO TO COSTCO AND BUY A BIG OLD TOP, HAS TRI TIP BEAT ALL TO HELL, CUT IT IN THRIDS AND THROW IT ON THE PIT. I TRIM THE FAT OFF MINE TOO LEAVE JUST A LITTLE. FAR AS THE NIGGERHEADS REMEMBER WHEN YOU USE TO KICK THEM OUT OF THE WINDROW, WHEN I WAS CHASING YOU WITH THE PAVING MACHINE...BOB.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom