YOU EVER LOSE A WHEEL???

Back when we were doing a little commercial dip net fishing we lost a right front wheel on my buddies Ford pickup out on the beach. The rim broke. It was just a matter of changing the tire and wheel.

The flight crew on Boing airplanes need to do more pre flight walk arounds. Check landing gear and plug doors. 😄

My first sports car was a '63 Austin Healey 3000 with wire wheels. I was pretty lax on maintenance and had never lubed the splined hubs. Going hard into a corner one day, when I stood on the brakes the wheel spun on the hub, unscrewing the wheel nut. That right front tire went shooting down the highway at about 60 mph!!

My first sports car was a '63 Austin Healey 3000 with wire wheels. I was pretty lax on maintenance and had never lubed the splined hubs. Going hard into a corner one day, when I stood on the brakes the wheel spun on the hub, unscrewing the wheel nut. That right front tire went shooting down the highway at about 60 mph!!
More impressive is that you lived to tell about it!

Yes sir - many years ago, my BFGs needed rotated. Proceeded to do this after work & after a few too many micros. We were young , had a keg fridge and we had a hot one on tap.
On my way to work the next morning, white Lightning’s front end started rattling and shaking like an SOB going 55.
Next thing I know my driver side front end dropped, sparks flyin’ and my wheel took a huge one hopper and bounced over the oncoming car and then off in the ditch. No one hurt no insurance claims just some stains in my boxers. I grabbed the tire , took one lug off off the other three and limped back home.
That was good learning lesson.
Torque your tires boys.

Yes this year I wrote about it in the Campfire on how Mike's Tire and Oil in Milford Utah got us back on the road. We lost the inside tire on the totally loaded toy hauler and everything was gone including the brake plate that the brakes attach to. The axle was ground down and it was grinding on the highway. We were doing 65 it's a wonder we are alive as it could have flipped us and caused great bodily harm...
Mike/s Tire and Oil got us back on the road with a new axle brakes and rim and tire in 4 1/2 hours amazing and my son to this day think it was a miracle that we didn't die and found someone in a small town that could help us and save our hunt...

On a trip to Port Isabel Tx last fall I saw my drivers side boat trailer tire go bouncing across the divided highway. Quick shut down avoided catastrophe. A quick look confirmed we needed a complete hub assembly to continue on. Unhook trailer and go back to the nearest town and found the hub. Back to trailer, hub put in place, spare on. Found my other wheel across the road. 20 minutes down the road and boom my spare blows. Finally managed to get first wheel back on by turning lug nuts backwards. Headed to nearest Discount Tire and told them one new wheel and three new tires! Never did figure out exactly what caused wheel to come off. Lug nuts not tight enough was best guess. Strange it took 350 miles into a 400 mile trip to happen!

On a trip to Port Isabel Tx last fall I saw my drivers side boat trailer tire go bouncing across the divided highway. Quick shut down avoided catastrophe. A quick look confirmed we needed a complete hub assembly to continue on. Unhook trailer and go back to the nearest town and found the hub. Back to trailer, hub put in place, spare on. Found my other wheel across the road. 20 minutes down the road and boom my spare blows. Finally managed to get first wheel back on by turning lug nuts backwards. Headed to nearest Discount Tire and told them one new wheel and three new tires! Never did figure out exactly what caused wheel to come off. Lug nuts not tight enough was best guess. Strange it took 350 miles into a 400 mile trip to happen!
Good for you and no injuries

Almost. This is a rear wheel, but the spinner attachment is the same for front and rear...spinner is cosmetically held to the wheel by 5 tiny screws.

During my shakedown run after the new motor/tranny install, I was pulling away from
70-75 when the front end started shaking really bad. I pulled over, saw the left front spinner hanging by one screw. Headed home, got some loctite and new screws. Good as new.

1000006411.jpg

1000007889.jpg

With That Much HorsePower I Don't Know How You Felt That Spinner?

Losing The Spinner Doesn't Mean You're Losing The Wheel & Tire!

So doc?

What's The Entire Build On The Engine?

Almost. This is a rear wheel, but the spinner attachment is the same for front and rear...spinner is cosmetically held to the wheel by 5 tiny screws.

During my shakedown run after the new motor/tranny install, I was pulling away from
70-75 when the front end started shaking really bad. I pulled over, saw the left front spinner hanging by one screw. Headed home, got some loctite and new screws. Good as new.

View attachment 135715

View attachment 135714

Yes sir - many years ago, my BFGs needed rotated. Proceeded to do this after work & after a few too many micros. We were young , had a keg fridge and we had a hot one on tap.
On my way to work the next morning, white Lightning’s front end started rattling and shaking like an SOB going 55.
Next thing I know my driver side front end dropped, sparks flyin’ and my wheel took a huge one hopper and bounced over the oncoming car and then off in the ditch. No one hurt no insurance claims just some stains in my boxers. I grabbed the tire , took one lug off off the other three and limped back home.
That was good learning lesson.
Torque your tires boys.
Torque your tires or maybe wait to tip a few micros till after you rotate your BFG's !!!!! :unsure::)

When DEI is your main concern then this will continue. I don’t need the airline to be diverse or inclusive. I want to know the plane is safe and the best qualified people are doing the job.

No!

Not Exact Specs!

General Info Is Fine!

I'm Not Trying To Clone You!
New 502, built for a blower. About 9.7:1 compression, without adding effects of aluminum heads and 8-71 blower. Adding in the blower, heads and making adjustments with pulley size, it makes a bit over 12:1 effective compression ratio which, according to holley/weiand keeps me just below an area where detonation/pinging is likely to happen.

I also have a boost retarder.

Lost one going about 80 mph down I-70 at Deer Trail off our trailer loaded down with hardwood firewood.
Have no clue where it ended up, wheel and hub all gone in a shower of sparks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom