Young Mutant

greatwestern

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-11 AT 11:26PM (MST)[p]This is a very rare-for-region young Class III...the drop he has is phenomenal in a range that normally produces a high majority of rams with very tight to medium curls, though an anomalistic 10 year old Drooper measuring 186 was killed in this unit a few years ago. Notice how this dude's latest segments stay quite long even as they gain substantial mass

2788big_junior.jpg

Also notice how large bodied Jr is in comparison to the 'normal' rams several years his elder. An example of an increasingly rare 'dispersal' phenotype in this long established population

1824gruppetto.jpg

At this stage, his horns look a lot like the kind of 'straight drop' rams depicted in many ancient aboriginal petroglyphs across the Southwest; a type that remains somewhat common in the Desert sheep of Utah, some of which retain this characteristic into old age...such rams don't curl much forward and up, esp. if broomed to any degree

8229jr.jpg

This vestigal genetic does indeed show itself from time to time in this area, but it seems to take increasingly 'serendipitous' circumstances to bring a male lamb of this particular conformation into fruition...the right mother, the right stud, and good range conditions (most especially for the ewe) preceeding conception between them. And of course dudes like this need to be allowed to fully mature in order to achieve their maximum potential, both as breeders and as trophies

**sorry for edit---having a hell of a time uploading photos on this thing! :)

Cool youngster!
He's quite a drooper and reminiscent of the rams we have in our deserts of UT (as you noted).

He's still pushing a bunch of length even though he aquiring mass. This ram is one to watch. He'll be a dandy, with a little luck.

I would guess his body size is a good 10% larger than expected.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for pointing out all the unique characteristics.

Zeke

Very informative GW.. Thanks for sharing.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-11 AT 05:19PM (MST)[p]Ya Zeke, he'll be very interesting to keep an eye on...hopefully he can put another 4-5 years on, should be some dude then eh!

Speaking of big UT droopers, how bout that big old straight drop hammer that your daughter killed a couple years back? Just an awesome ram...

I guess Rick Corvin's golden horns is about as droopy as they seem to get down in your country, eh T-Rex? Though Ken's big Ugly dropped down pretty good as well

If you boys don't mind, post up your pictures of them deep droppers...I recall another gentleman here that killed a beautiful 12 year old UT straight drop hammer

And anyone else with pics of any of these types of rams, please put em up...I know at least a few of us would love to see em!

2011big_lefty.jpg

Here's a big bugger with a pretty good drop from another area that was killed last season

Sheepfever,
In my eye, your ram has always looked like a classic UT drooper to me. Great Ut ram!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-11 AT 07:10PM (MST)[p]Zeke very well said. I really like that ram.. It's a true drooper/ dropper.. Sheepfever great ram. Thanks for sharing.

Edit was spell check

Heck yes 'Fever, that dude is exactly what we're lookin for...big ol straight-drop Hammer!

Excellent ram man, thanks for showin him off

Love the pics of your great desert ram Sheepfever!
Perhaps you can find a drooping Dall up in the NWT for a matching set!
Is that hunt this year? Pretty excited for you if it is.

This is Zeke's daughter Jessica's big deep drop UT Desert Hammer from '09...what a fine old ram!

9592dropper.jpg

2290jess_ram.jpg

Thanks for providing the great photos Z, and many congrats to both of you on that Big Dropper!

Thanks Greatwestern for posting up Jessica's ram as one of your examples of a drooper or dropper type sheep.

I thinks a bunch of guys who have rams in Ut (and elsewhere) could post their pics as other examples of this type horn configuration. I point out Utah only because we have a bunch of the broomed, drooper type. Other places do as well.

Post 'em up guys and gals. We'd all appreciate seeing them.

Zeke

Hey Zeke your daughter killed a dang nice ram there! Congrats to her.

Here's a few low droping rams from the past from AZ.

8671corvan.jpg

5514.jpg

One word.....WOW!!!

Those rams have it all and then some. Thanks Mesquitehunter.

Zeke

No, thank YOU Zeke for sendin over them pics to post up...that fine old dude is just a perfect example of what we're talkin about!

Thanks for postin up Big Ugly and Goldilocks, Mesquite...them rams have the straight drop characteristic and a fair amount more eh! :)

Let's see some others, sheep Hunters! I think there just might be a few of us on here that simply can't look at enough big Dropper rams ;)

Cheers'

Cool dropper rams.

(We also need to give Greatwestern credit for using a more advanced selection of vocabulary that is typical on this website!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom