Your Best Load for your Omega

300wtby

I'm curious to find out what all you Omega owners out there are using as your load. I have tinkered a little bit with various powders and grains of powder and keep coming back to the same load. My best load is 100 grains of 777 Powder FFFG and I'm shooting the 245 Grain Aerotip Powerbelt. My 100 yard group for 3 shots is about 1.5". I shoot a Peep sight which has helped alot. The other day I shot my best group 3 shot at 1". I can't say enough good stuff about the peep it has really made my shooting better. I think it has something to do with eyesight and glasses.

Look forward to your responses.

Take Care

300 Wtby

Dave

I currently shoot 100 gr of Pyrodex with 250 shockwaves. I am pleased with my results, but always open to trying for better I am considering using Triple 7. It seems to be the choice of a lot of hunters. Thoughts on Pyrodex v. Triple 7? I also want to try 300 shockwaves.

Try to buy as little as necessary to try Tripple Seven as it will not shoot in my Omega without a severe crud ring and I have tried all the available primers and even converted to the .25ACP breechplug and small rifle primers. I tried pellets and I tried ffg loose. I could never find any fffg loose which apparently some like better and apparently it shoots a little cleaner. The crud ring caused a load to be made with a little air gap between the powder and the sabot and the resulting recoil put my scope into my forehead with a lot of blood resulting. Personally I will never use 777 as the recoil for the velocity is fierce compared with what I can get using Black Mag'3. All Omega's apparently are not the same!!!!

100 gr loose APP FFFG, with a 375gr Buffalo SSB. I love this bullet but would like to try out the 302gr SSB's.

I have been using 3 pellets of pyro and a 300 gr hornady sst. I am kinda new to the ml thing but this combo has been very effective for me. my groups are very good as well as a high velocity.. I am thinking about trying out a new powder, the jim shockey powder, uh American something or other becuase they say it burns very clean. Anyone know anything about this powder?

>I have been using 3 pellets
>of pyro and a 300
>gr hornady sst. I am
>kinda new to the ml
>thing but this combo has
>been very effective for me.
>my groups are very good
>as well as a high
>velocity.. I am thinking about
>trying out a new powder,
>the jim shockey powder, uh
>American something or other becuase
>they say it burns very
>clean. Anyone know anything about
>this powder?
American Pioneer and Shockeys Gold are both ascorbic acid based powders and they do in fact burn very clean. Goex Pinnacle and Black Mag'3 are other powders in this same class. Some people have great results with these powders and others do not. Pick one that you can find locally and try it in your rifle. Most of these powders are too coarse in ffg so try to find the fffg granulation. Black Mag'3 only comes as fffg so any you can find will be that. I have great results with Black Mag'3 and can load several shots in a row without a swab between.

Just recently spent alot of time and money trying to get JIM's APP powder to shoot in my 50 cal. Black diamond. I used two pounds of powder and 5 types of bullets from 110-150 grains of powder. The results was terrible, I couldnt make anything shoot acceptable. Very frustrating so I tried Triple 7 FF and shot a bit under a 1.5" group with 120gr. and 250gr. Barnes, first try. WOW!

Any of you guys use a max load like 150 gr? My omega will take it, and it shoots well but shuld I be using this much powder?

First of all, I assume that you are talking about 150 grains of pellets, because 150 grains of loose powder is not safe, especially with 777, black mag3, APP. I am pretty sure they don't even recommend it with pyrodex in loose form.

That said, I hunt elk with 90-110 grains of 777. No reason for any more and I REALLY don't like the kick you get higher than that! Definately hurts my accuracy.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-06 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]Bugler

Haven't you read the wordings/warnings/cautions on the front & back of your 777 jug?.... especially the part that discusses the "15% Less Rule"??????

Yikes!

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-06 AT 01:19PM (MST)[p]I shoot three 50 grn pellets with a barnes TMZ. I couldn't get em to shoot worth a damn until a buddy of mine told me a trick.

Put a "wonder-wad" on top of your powder charge. It keeps the sabot from failing. A 28 gauge shotgun wad with the petals cut off does the same thing. I get inch.5 groups and it shoots the 250's at 2340 fps outa my omega. Earlier post on recoil was right. Kicks like a mean ass mule.

Don't use magnum 209 primers. They are too hot.

You guys shooting aerotips beware. One of my partners shot a bull at about 110 yrds and the bullet did not expand AT ALL. Except for the little plastic tip being bent I think he could have shot it again. Try the lead hollowpoints. They shoot just as well and mushroom nicely.

Good luck!

You talk like that was a bullet failure. Sounds like you recovered the bull and it was a success. Where was he hit and how far did the bull go? Bottom line is that if you put a 1/2 inch hole in an elks chest, he will be dead shortly. Would I rather have some expansion? You bet, but I have also heard of powerbelts blowing up on elk too.

As far as the difference between aerotips and hollow points, the only difference is the plastic tip. The bullet is the exact same bullet (a hollowpoint) but just has a plastic tip put into it. Pull one out and see. Don't think that piece of plastic will keep one from expanding. Sounds to me like he probably slipped it between ribs and only hit soft tissue. Hardly any bullet from a muzzleloader will expand in that situation.

As far as the question originally asked: 100 grains of pyrodex select and 338 grain platinum powerbelts shoots the best in my Omega. I am shooting an average group of 4 inches at 100 yards with a peep sight.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Sorry I didnt clarify, I shoot pyrodex but am looking to go to a cleaner podwer like shockeys American stuff. Three 50 gr pellets of pyro using a Hornady SST and It shoots great. TC Omega.. Sorry Didnt mean to startle anyone..HAHA

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-06 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]
The Shockeys, American Pioneer and Goex Pinnacle Powders are almost identica - minus the color dyes and some filterings (my opinion). Buy the FFF to void flask-pouring problems that exist because the granules with the FF are so large - they resemble rock salt. Also try not to go beyond 300 grain bullets. That powder works best at longer ranges like 100+ yards with small & medium-grain bullets.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

I'm in the 100 grains of 777 and 295 Grain PBAerotips....real dang happy with it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom