Your biggest surprise?

L

littlejoe

So what surprised you the most when going to Africa?

I have to say on my trip in July without question it was two things.

We walked and walked and walked some more. Not that it was a problem but 99% of my buddies told me that they walked very little until it was show time or they were buff or elephant hunting.

My biggest surprise was the terrain. I think we all have a picture in our minds of what we think it will be and I was 100% wrong. It was not very flat at all. Lots of rolling hills and mountains. Definitely did not expect to see mountains with snow on them either.

It was incredibly thicker than I could have ever imagined.

By far the terrain was the biggest surprise for me.

Same thing happened to me in Alaska. Had a picture in my mind and was basically 100% wrong.

My biggest surprise was I shot a lot more animals than I ever expected.

2nd- The difference between the black and white race.

3rd- How friendly everyone was to us.

I definitely shot more than I expected. Shot 16 and still cannot believe it.

Black is black and white is white and yes I was very surprised about certain things in that regard as well. Learned to bite my tongue about certain things or not ask questions knowing that is just how it is.

I agree, everyone and I mean everyone was super friendly except the people at South Africa air that could care less that all of our bags and gun cases were lost and for four days kept telling us they would show up tomorrow.

I laughed when one of the people in camp told me to do only one thing when I got home. Keep Obama and Oprah in the states. I laughed and said what does that mean. He told me that they are happy and tired of people trying to change their lives. They want to be left alone and don't need Oprah telling them to change the world. Very interesting conversation.

Most who go hunting in June/July/August don't realize how cold it can get in southern Africa. Throw in good windbreaking jackets, gloves, and a stocking cap for riding in the Cruiser, and maybe even a light set of long johns. For pete's sakes, people, they have penquins in Capetown! Remember, its pretty close to Antartica.

Also, a lot of the country is relativly dry/arid. Don't wait until you're thisty to drink. Staying hydrated will be key to success on some of those long walks.

Climbing some of those rocky kopjes is a killer, and its really easy to turn an ankle or knee. I always throw in an elastic brace just in case.

Text'd my son all day since he just arrived back in Namibia for another month. Typical trip over; long flights with some delays and rifle didn't show when supposed to but it all settled out fine. He's there for another month to film a leopard hunt, then PG, and finally a lion hunt up north. The daughter-in-law relieves him in Oct for another elephant hunt with some friends.

One thing that's really surprising is the value of things and how reasonable in cost most things are. Shopkeepers love to bargain and barter. Never pay full asking price for curios and souvenirs-they love to dicker. Tipping on the street for car watching, or helping carry groceries should be done in Rand. Giving a dollar tip is nothing for us, but is unheard of for the locals.

There was significant frost and cold weather when we were in the mountains hunting. It was cold for sure and thankfully we were prepared.

I am surprised that my dad and wife have zero interest to go. My wife I can understand. She said she would go to New Zealand but not really anywhere else. I am surprised but my dad won't go anywhere like this even if I paid for it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I know I am addicted and will go back as soon as I can.

It is funny how basically everything is negotiable outside of the airport. Just make and offer and go for it. Kind of fun some days.

5036img_0072.jpg

I agree with all of the above but my biggest surprise was how wonderful Zebra steaks on the "braai" taste. We also ate gemsbok, eland, kudu, impala and even guniea fowl stew and all were excellent. The zebra tasted as good or better than the angus beef I raise and feed myself on my farm! My horses are a bit nervous since I returned however.

I was pleasantly surprised as well. The Kudu we had one night was as good as anything that I have ever had. Cannot say much for bushpig or warthog. Tried them just because and they were nasty. Springbuck was pretty good as well.

Honest to god folks and I'm not joking at all but what suprised me and my wife the most were the sex organs! Ever been to kwazulu natal? well all the women from 10 years old right on up to 80 years old wear tons and tons of wool sox and long long skirts. No shirts what-so-ever. The men don't see anything sexual in a womans breasts. When we asked about the over abundance of sox we were told that any part of a womans legs were considered sexy. If a man could see a womans ankles they would get all hot and bothered. therefore the women completely covered their legs! WTF?

secondly we were most intrigued by the racism. It wasn't so bad between black and white but between black and black. If you lived in a tribal area and weren't from that area the other blacks would know and they would instantly come and kill you. Our tracker/skinner had to be kept inside camp with us protected by the dogs and razor wire fence so that the other tribal blacks didn't kill him.

Those people are the most racist people I have ever met but I have to agree with them on their hatred for Oprah and Obama and the sanctions we put on them back when.

I knew Black was Black and White was White but in some ways I was shocked by certain things. My tracker never ever ate lunch with us. He would walk down the road 50 yards or so and eat by himself. My buddy was hunting out of a crew cab truck and it started to down pour and there was room for another person in the cab and the tracker had to stay in the bed of the truck. Was not asked or allowed to get in the cab.

I had everyone in my trophy pics. My buddy asked his Tracker to be in the pictures and his tracker was surprised. Was surprised that he wanted a black guy in the pics. My buddy said I want everyone but I thought that was interesting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom