Your input appreciated

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
Ok, Im curious?Im just asking this question as it really perplexes me. Why do fixed blade broadhead shooters practice with your nice new sharp broadheads?? Everyone says form, great tuned bow, fixed blades will fly like field tips. I am not argueing this. I want to know if that's the case why would you go out and tear up your targets and dull up your blades if they shoot so well?? Doesn?t your field points give you the same shot performance? Are you trying to see if your form is off or your bow is out of tune?? This just does not make any sense to me. I would like to hear your different observations or opinions on this. Thanks.

GBA

Yes, if your equipment is tuned the fixed blade heads will shoot the same as your field points.

I just like shooting what I am going to hunt with just to double check things. I don't practice over and over with my fixed blade broad heads but I do shoot a couple shots a couple times a week just to make sure.

One thing I've noticed is that even with everything in tune you still have to execute a good shot with the fixed blade heads or it will show up either by bad arrow flight or bad point of impact. The fixed blade heads are not as forgiving as field points so they make you bear down and execute good form and good clean release.

I just replace the blades right before the hunt and shot them one time to make sure they still fly great. I like to practice for a good month before the hunt with fixed blades to make sure everything is ready to go and just use the same blades I have used in the past to practice with.

It does wear on targets, but that is what they are there for...

I will shoot blades a few times before a hunt just to verify tune, but 90% of my practice is done with field points to keep from tearing through my targets.

RE: Your in put appreciated

I set aside a set of BH's that are for practice only and shoot them for a month or more ahead of time. Now that I am shooting Montec's I bought a set of 3 practice heads. I shoot my hunting heads only at game. Sharp heads kill quickly. Dull ones do not.

RE: Your in put appreciated

Some really good feedback here and it is refreshing to hear were not shooting dull heads at animals. Most of the threads on broadheads are generally arguments of which one is best mechanical or fixed. Then it gets elaborated on about bows being out of tune when fixed blades don't hit the same as field tips, and don't shoot a mechanical for bad tuning. I do agree with that whole heartedly, however I think it is very expensive for both broadheads and targets to keep shooting them year around, not to mention IMO senseless. If your equipment is tuned properly that should be a done deal, come hunting time put on a new broadhead and go hunting. BigPig answered the question I thought would be most common. Shoot field points for form and memory practice, put on a few broadheads and shoot them before a hunt just to know your equipment stayed in tune. But after reading all the threads on broadheads it sounded to me like everyone for the most part shot their broadheads year around. That just seems very overkill (pardon the pun) to me.

GBA

+1 everyone has given GBA the perfect combined answer. I don't think any of us constantly shoot our broadheads daily when they do shoot same as field points. BUT shooting these smaller aero dynamic broadheads as mentioned by comepletesportsman...They are more sensitive and will bring out any shooting form errors.

We start shoot our broadheads a few weeks prior to hunting season to correct any form issues and bad habits...:)

))))......>

I'm going to go the opposite way here as most folks :)

It is impossible to get a fixed blade to have the exact same impact point as a field point at all distances from 10 to 80 yards! Some bow, release, arrow and fixed blade combo's can never be made to impact in the same place at any distance regardless of what tuning you do.

It is virtually impossible to tune with field points and then have fixed blades impact the same at any distance without retuning!

A perfect tune for field points will never be the perfect tune for any fixed blade! A perfect tune for a fixed blade will never be the perfect tune for a field point! By adjusting the tune to get both to impact as close together as possible at normal hunting distances is a compromise for both.

With that said, the goal is still to get both to fly together so that we can practice with field points and fixed blades and not have to retune to go hunt. Just understand that it is not a perfect game and much more difficult than virtually everyone here makes it out ot be.

I pains me to see new archers go through the massive frustration of having "experts" tell them they "just" need to tune their bow to get them to impact together when it is radically more difficult than that.

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-11 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]Pete,
While I'll agree with you that it is probably scientifically impossible to get them to fly the exact same, it is entirely possible to get them to fly so close together that most archers won't be able to tell. Certainly as close to the same that a person won't have to adjust sights to go hunting. With aerodynamic broadheads, good form, proper arrow spine, good tune, no contact, etc., I think it is very possible and rather simple. Once one understands the basics of what it takes to get clean arrow flight out of the bow, I'd argue that there is nothing "radically difficult" to it. JMO. I think a lot of the problem comes from pro shops not setting up bows properly, or archers buying from big box stores and trying to DIY without the necessary knowledge.

Of course some bows are more difficult to tune than others. I get rid of those ones. Moreso, some archers are even harder to tune than their bows, LOL.

I can get my broadheads close enough to my fieldpoints that they shave vanes. In order to avoid that so I'm not refletching arrows all the time, I always shoot the broadhead first. I'm not talking small broadheads either, I like to shoot long broadheads like 4 blade stingers and razorcaps.

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom