your opinon ?"

manny53

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-13 AT 06:04PM (MST)[p]my son bought a SS Remington 700 brand new from Bi-mart here in Medford Oregon, it came with a cheap scope he got some extra cash and decided to put a better scope and talley base's on the gun, well in the process of taking the base's off the threads came out with one of the screws.

we sent the gun back with the screw that still had the threads on it, gun came back with another set of cheap base's installed on them again we took off the base's and it looks lik they put a heli coil in the stripped hole, would you consider this exceptable, I don't but I'm not an engineer...

?????? Thanx for your opinion .....

Thanks Manny!:D

Well,when the Metal is gone,it's gone!

A Heli-Coil when done properly ain't bad!

But now you have an extra Thread to worry about coming loose!

THREADLOCKER,THREADLOCKER!

A Thread that small ain't made to be takin in & out a bunch of times!

Why the Hell were they puttin Cheap Bases on it?

So?
You think you wanna take My Hi- Capacity Magazines & Assault Rifles Huh?
Just Try taking My American Pride/Rights!

It's been a long hard ride
And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

As said, I do not know what you expected, but when the metal is gone, it is gone. I have used Heli-coils in different situations when working on vehicles. There is really only 2 options, 1 is to tap it out to the next size or put a coil in it.

Tapping it out a little larger will mean that you will constantly be searching for the right sized screw for your set up. If the helicoil does not hold up to your expectations take it to the gun smith and have him set it up the way you want.

BTW when done right there is nothing wrong with the coil, however it is the last fix, so if something goes wrong your really out of options.

How much material was removed? Could you have the holes drilled and tapped for 8-40 screws? Most factory guns are drilled for 6-40's

Yep have all four holes drilled and tapped for 8-40 threads. Lots of folks do that from the get go for the added strength of the bigger screws, at least on big boomers.

Did you send the rifle back to Remington? Just curious. And I agree, just have it re-tapped to the bigger screw. mtmuley

As a former machinist, I'd say keep the heli-coil. Will hold up better than the original tapped hole. Having them retapped to 8-40 would be just as acceptable, but will cost you more to get done

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom