Your Thoughts on BB guns

C

cowboy57

I thinking of getting my grandson a BB gun for xmas he is 8yrs old and a great kid.but my problem is that my other grandson is 5yrs old.they have always received the same thing for xmas as gifts,i was wondering if i don't buy him one too he will be hurt.my 8 yr old won't be shooting this gun without me being there for many yrs to come.should i start the 5 yr old now or wait? i know there is bigger problems in the world but these boys are the world to me don't to hurt any feelings. thank you

If you are with them cowboy the five year old will be just fine.Take both boys together and they will have a ball and no one will have hurt feelings and neither will get hurt.With a name like Cowboy you'll do just fine.

Had the same problem . My boys are two years apart. I just bought the litte one a red rider not very powerful and the bigger boy a crossman pump gun .
Have fun and don't shoot your eye out !

i say get em both one. it might be a good chance to teach the older one about setting a good example for the younger one.

kids, even young ones, are very observant. as long as you model the importance of gun safety and just how much respect you need to have for firearms and their power, they will both be fine. its a great way for a youngster to learn on a relatively harmless "gun." (i know...i know...take one in the eye and it doesnt feel seem so harmless)

mshred

Get the 5 year old started early on gun safety. Same age as I was when I got my first bb gun. Used it safely and I was allowed to carry it on hikes and shoot cans in the backyard. Took it out when no one was looking, shot a chicken and a few barn windows and didn't see it again for months... I learned many valuable lessons as a young kid with that BB gun.

HE WILL SHOOT HIS EYE OUT!!!!!!!!

HAHA HAD TO SAY IT.

AS LONG AS HE IS SUPERVIZED THE 5 YEAR OLD SHOULD BE FINE. MY YOUNGEST HAD A BB GUN AT 5 OR 6, SAME DEAL HE HAD A OLDER BROTHER (2 YEARS) SO I JUST BOUGHT TWO OF THEM.

I got a bb gun when I was 9, and my brother, who is 2 years younger, got a bb gun at 7 a few months later. My oldest boy is 5 and he's a bit of a wildman so we will wait on him. I have an old red rider that I shoot with him, but he's definitely not ready to take it out on his own.

Make sure you're there and make the boys take turns shooting so you can devote your FULL attention to one at a time. Demonstrate every step from holding, loading, shooting so they can see how it is properly and safely done. Then let them practice one or two times (with the gun un-loaded) so you can correct them on any issues they may (probably will) have. I know it's going to be hard for the 8 year old to be patient while you are working with the younger brother, but it's important imo. Make it fun for them and heck yeah, get him the gun!

Taidgepheasenthunt2009281.jpg

My 5 1/2 year old a few weeks ago. His first pheasent hunt.

Taidgepheasenthunt2009280.jpg

The "swiss cheesed" can (pheasent they were shooting at).

Taidgepheasenthunt2009279.jpg

the crossman 2100 is about as long as he is! lol

Taidgepheasenthunt2009250.jpg

Fun time!

Taidgepheasenthunt2009258.jpg

Taidgepheasenthunt2009276.jpg

Taidgepheasenthunt2009277.jpg

I bought my oldest GIRL a BB gun at 4 1/2. Just teach them respect of a firearm and you are good to go.

Mine are 2 years apart, I got one gun for the both of them. It has been fun for all three of us. With supervision they learn very fast what is the right way to do it. Set the rules and stick to them and everything will be fine. Mine even got my wife shooting it because they wanted to see if they were a better shot than grandma. You guys will love it.

I always jumped the "Gun" as far as buying my son his BB, 243, 7M-08 ect. The wife's family was in horror that I should do such a thing. Big deal!
Here's a game winner, Get both a BB-Gun and the nice targets to go with them. Also get shooting Glasses and any other things to make sure they understand if the safety stuff is not on they cannot shoot or touch the gun. Also buy a G.I. Foot locker to store all this in with a lock on it, make it a Craft project to paint and make storeage compartments inside it. They boys will then know that yes these are unlike my other toys and I must go by Grampa's rules. Hope that helps. John

I am going to go against the stream, because I just think the average 5 year old is too young to OWN a BB gun. Shoot one that is someone elses, sure, but not own one.

The 3 years between 5 and 8 are huge. Just personally would never give a 5 year old a gun. I realize that Dad would be in control of the gun and control its use, but there are just some things you have to wait for. Would it work under the right circumstances? Sure, but on average I personally don't think it is age appropriate.

There comes a time when, due to age differences, you have to give somehthing different to each child. I suspect that you could give the 5 year old something that he would be just as excited about. AND, he could on occasion use his older brothers gun.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Instructed and supervised, as long as they are old enough to comprehend what you are teaching and the gun is a good fit, age is fairly irrelevant as far as the shooting goes. As far as them taking it out on their own. Maturity makes a huge difference.

It won't hurt the little guy if if he doesn't get one too. Life doesn't dish things out evenly. Learning to deal with that is better done at age 5 than 15.

Damn,i want to thank everyone of you for time and thoughts on this,didn't think i would get this kind of responce.my thought was like a couple of you just buy the one gun and they share.maybe buy the 5yr old a bow and arrow with rubber tips.just to let u know my daughter is a single mom and the father is very rarely in the pic.so if i get these guns they will go in my gun safe.thanks again and happy turkey day too all.

In my opinion kids don't respect BB guns like they would a 22. My 5 year old daughter has a cricket 22 and she only shoots it with me and she is good at it. I would get them both 22s. Just my thought!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom