Youth bow tips

alp75

Very Active Member
I just got my 7 year old a Bear Apprentice for christmas. I know he will be super excited for it and it is a good bow for him to grow with. As I get him started with it I wanted to see if I can get a few tips from those who have had their kids start with their first real bow. I am guessing you don't start immediately with a release or using the sight and pins, but just work on strength and coordination at close ranges then slowly add variables? Anything else?

I just got my 5 year old started shooting a bow. The best advice I can give you is start them out very close to the target, my son started about 5feet away. Be sure to work on proper form and safety first as those are the most important things, accuracy will come later. I have found that shooting instinctively (no sights or release) will make a much more accurate archer when you add those things later. And also dont shoot too much, kids forget alot when they get tired,you dont want to burn them out. Good luck and most of all have fun. Feel free to pm me if you want some more tips.

We started our Grandson out at 5yrs old +1 on the Safety from day #1. We started him out with a toy bow and as soon as he got strong enough we got him into a toy compound then a real compound etc. At 7yrs we had him shooting at 10yds but his arrows would not fly great because they are cheap quality so don't worry about your sons groups etc. Just let him have fun and teach him the proper safety and form. He will get better at shooting as he grows and gets stronger. Now at 9 yrs old I took our Grandson last week to our archery club 3D course and he is shooting outstanding at 30 to 40yds right with me. :)

Remember:
Kids at younger ages get tired quickly and don't stay focused on shooting very long... so don't be to disappointed if your son only shoots a few shots. We also started our Grandson shooting at about 5 feet from the target when he was 5.

At 7yrs old your sons arms will be stronger so you should be able to move back to about 10yds fairly quickly.

We purchased a small youth release from Cabela's and got him using it as soon as he could handle it.

ALWAYS teach your son to shoot with a release by keeping his trigger release finger behind the triggger as he draws back the arrow... then put his finger on the trigger when he is ready to shoot. Sounds simple but little ones have a tendency to pull back the string and release the arrow while drawing back the bow once in a while. Thats why his finger needs to stay behind the release trigger until he is ready to shoot. Also we taught him to always draw his bow pointing at the target just like an adult would shoot. What I mean is "proper form"...none of this raising the bow in the air when drawing back then fixing on the target as you come down at full draw. That is bad form as mostly is caused in adults due to pulling a bow at to heavy a draw weight for the shooter.

Make sure the bow fits him draw length wise best you can. Set the bow up with a peep sight and at "seven" get him shooting using the peep and first pin sighted in at 10yds as soon as he is able. We are firm believers in making his gear as authentic as possible. I went to our archery shop and picked up some light draw weight arrows and had them cut about 3 inches longer than his draw lenght. That got him into a much better quality arrow than those kids toy arrows. Add the 2" Blazer Vanes and he will be set for quite a while before he grows out of them. Also I found that kids that age do not have the arm strength. The first compound bow we got our Grandson was to heavy. The inexpensive bows are heavy and effect everything from reps to shot groups. Even now at 9 yrs old I do not install his quiver for going out on the 3D hill course because he is a little guy in size. I carry his arrows to keep the setup weight down so he can hold the bow easier when shooting. I found that is the best way for him to have fun and make quality shots.

Always give your son positive support...He will make "mistakes" but do not scold him...remember he is just a kid...just tell him what he did wrong"Safety Wise" show him the correct way as many times as it takes for him to understand the correct safety procedure and or shooting techniques and form.

AND ALWAYS MAKE IT FUN FOR HIM TO SHOOT :)

PM me anytime

))))------->

I would set it up completly,sights,peep,release if it is one of the better youth bows.My daughter has been shooting for several years and I just bought a mission craze this week because she is tired of fighting the left eye domance and shooting right handed,this bow works for everyone,20-70lb and 19-30 inch draw adjustable without a bow press.Priced well in the $290.00 range bare.I would say use a whisker bisket and 1 pin,move the other pins down,they are fast learners and the bows are so much better than when I started

set the bow up to fit him with all the acc. on (sight, quiver, ex.) the sooner he gets used to all the shooting steps and his bow the better. the whisker biscuit is the best rest for kids, I think anyway. teach safety, shooting steps, and take him out shooting. it is amazing how fast youngsters pick up on archery. my son started at 6 and has won many 3d events and the last two years gold medal at the state games at 9 and 10 years old.
Its all about spending time together at the range, simple as that...Enjoy it is a blast..Not so when he out shoots me though, ha..My 4 year old is up next..

Shoot with them, keep it fun, don't get to picky real early on since grasping the concept is critical. Keep the instruction simple and few during a lesson. Before you know it they will be out shooting you. Oh and keep it fun with TONS OF PRAISE ! ! !

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom