Youth compound???

mntman

Long Time Member
My 9 year old daughter currently has a cheap long bow she shoots. She has decided that archery is fun and now wants a compound bow. I have been looking a the "menace" from Mission, the diamond youth bow (forgot name) and the youth bow from Hoyt.
Looking for something that will be adjustable until she gets out of high school.

Do any of you have experience with any of these or recommend a different one? She can pull about 18 pounds right now.
Not looking to spend a ton of money, looks like it will be around $400 to get her going though.
Thanks
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I worked at an archery shop for 2 years and we sold more of the mission bows for youth huners than any youth bow. they tune really well and are very forgiving with the long brace hight.

My nephew just got a Bear apprentice. It is a really nice little bow. There is tons of adjustment. I believe you can get a package for around 300.00$ I have always been a Hoyt guy, but this little bow is great for a young person.

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!" -Harry S. Truman

I just bought my grandson (11 years old) the 2013 Diamond Infinite Edge two weeks ago with the ready to hunt package for $349.00 at Bass Pro Shop.

They come in 3 colors as well, camo, black ops and pink camo. Draw length adjust 17 inches out to 30 inches, drawn weight is 5 pounds out to 70 pounds at an IBO of 310 fps. This is a great kids bow and it is the real deal. It doesnt look or feel like a kids bow. It tunes well and it's quiet, fast and has smooth draw cycle. My Grandson can shoot this bow for the rest of his life if he chooses too. Right now we have him sighted out to 40 yards and doing quite well. He loves the bow. I may pick up my wife one in Pink camo. Here are a couple of cell ohone pic's. sorry about the fuzzy photos

His last 3 arrows at 10 yards first night.
4267ten_yards.jpg

My grandson with his new Infinite Edge
5422infinite_edge.jpg

GBA

I got my 8 year old the Bear Apprentice. It has been a great bow. I got it for him last year. He should be able to grow with it and eventually hunt with it as a starter bow. Good bow and around $300.

GBA,
Great bow for your grandson but do me a favor and take 1.5" off of his draw length. That bow is way to long for him as is. Bad habits are easy to make with that setup.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

Alpine, thanks for the observation and input. I can see how you might think the draw is long. However because he grabbed my release just to take the picture it appears to long a draw. I had him at full draw and then walk backwards to get him between the trees to see the bow a little better so his form isn't the greatest as you can tell. His body is a little cocked.

As crappy as the picture is if you look closely you will see the bow is at full draw to the wall, his arm has the proper bend in it at full draw and the string is touching his nose. So from his nose forward the bow is set at the correct draw length. However with my release which is moved up on his palm and not on his wrist where it should be and is a little long for him it makes it appear like the draw is too long. He has his own release but grabbed mine for a quick picture.

We will be doing the Mormon Lake shoot on the 19th. Hopefully I will get a better picture with a real camera. :)

GBA

bought her the diamond bow, 2 weeks ago. She is having a blast shooting it :).
I really like it so far and hope it lasts her a longggg time.
Thanks for the inputs.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I bought the diamond youth bow package from Sportmans for my son and it shoots great. It is nice because the poundage goes from 30-60 I think (maybe only 50). I actually used it a few years back the year after I had shoulder surgery. I could barely shoot 40 pounds after my surgery and my bow wouldn't go that low so I used the diamond and took a nice little 3x4 (pass through at 40 pounds) and he didn't go more than 40 yards. It made me realize how shot placement is more important than anything else.

If it had a better sight I would consider still using it for myself in certain situations (still serves as my backup).

Cutbow

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom