Youth deer hunt questions - units 30 & 40

SDBugler

Very Active Member
I am looking to take my 16 year old son on a good mule deer hunt before he graduates and heads off to college. He currently has 4 preference points and we have two seasons left before he graduates.

I have been looking at unit 30 2nd season and unit 40 3rd season. He should be guaranteed to draw the unit 40 tag this year and about a 30% chance at the unit 30 tag but almost guaranteed next year. I only have 2 points so I won't apply with him to drag down his opportunity, plus I want to focus on him getting a good quality buck.

From my research, I have found several people state that unit 40 has limited public land to hunt and that all the deer are on private. However, when I look at the maps, it appears that there is a bunch of BLM land around the perimeter of the unit. Is the BLM land not very good habitat? I have looked on Google earth and it appears like it would be good country, but in reality it may be different. Can someone with some on the ground experience help me out?

We have hunted a lot here in our home state of South Dakota for mule deer both rifle and archery and are pretty proficient in spot & stalk style of hunting. Are these two units good for this type of hunting?

We are not afraid to backpack in if necessary or hunt some rugged terrain. My son took a week off from school last year and did the NM youth ibex hunt and also accompanied me on my Unit G-17 backpack mountain goat hunt so he is not afraid to work hard.

We would appreciate any comments on either of these units or suggestions for other units. Please PM me if you don't want to respond on the open forum.
Thanks
Brian & Spencer

Here is his best buck to date from last year in SD. We are hoping to find him something better.
1317img_0025a.jpg

40 does have a lot of public land around the perimeter especially along the Utah border. Problem is it is mostly blocked by private leaving little to no access to it.

my opinion as a colorado resident is , you are going to have a hard time topping that buck in colorado on public land with 4 points. Just my 2 cents

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom