Youth Fort Bayard Deer Hunt

WapitiDave

My son and nephew were lucky and drew this hunt. Don't know a whole lot about what to expect as far as the amount of deer or where to camp. Anybody have any info on this hunt? Hoping to make it a good experience for them since this is their first deer hunt. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

WD

Tons of deer. Both Coues and Mule Deer. I've never hunted it but when i was younger my grandfather would take us for drives out there to see the little Coues deer near the hospital (they're like pets) and to see the mule deer and elk. Pretty much anywhere i went on Ft. Bayard we saw game.

And there is a nearby KOA campground in Silver City.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/silver-city/

aaronjo, thanks for the reply. I heard that the deer numbers were down last year. They drew the early October hunt, not sure if that makes a difference compared to the later hunt. Is there National Forest or blm around there that we can camp on or would the KOA be our best bet. I've never been to Silver City. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

WD

There is alot of Forest and BLM in the area... The deer herds are down over the last few years.. probably because with the new hospital they don't water the grounds like they used to. Like anything just cover country... You will find deer.
Jason

I can think of 3 spots where you could camp on the refuge off the main road and two spots off of Crumbly Road just outside the refuge. You will need to walk/hike to get into deer since there is limited access on the refuge as there are no roads other than the main road,Crumbly Road, and a two track to the corrals in the middle of the refuge. There are alot of trails though. I will be out there on the same hunt with a nephew.

Forgot to mention that the KOA is only 5 minutes from the refuge. It is actually located in Arenas Valley, between Silver City and Ft Bayard.

Thank you for the replies. I was trying to find information on how big the refuge is but couldn't find any. Any idea? We definitely plan on walking? Is the refuge fenced off on its boundaries? Sorry for all the questions but like I said couldn't find much info on it. Thanks again.

WD

Gila National forest map shows boundary for refuge. The refuge only has livestock fences around border with high fence along northwest side. The refuge itself has livestock fences separating diffent pastures/areas.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom