Youth Hunt DEC 26/30 UNIT 51

AAA173

Well guys its my sons first elk hunt i hope we can do well . Hes not even talking about christmas all he has been talking about is his hunting trip ive got a good idea where to go i know unit 50 really well 51 soso if anybody has any info they could share that would be great .

Andy

Pm sent

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Ill be up there also in december for my kids hunt. I hunted up there in beginning of november and got hammered with snow even the locals bailed at least 14 inches. The elk were holding up in the TA. My other buddy did the thanksgiving youth hunt and got skunked also.
Getting kinda worried. Does anyone know how the roads are? Any help appreciated, freezer is in bad shape. Thx

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-13 AT 01:26AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-13 AT 01:24?AM (MST)

5758p1010016.jpg

We were there No9-13 and had a great hunt. We hunted up high by Hopewell and found quit a bit of elk.I don't know how much snow is there now but you shoud do alright , other than 52 , 51 is about as good a cow elk hunt as there is...Best of luck...

Nice great job ya my daughter and wife both got there bulls in 50 in October I went to 51 and scouted and saw a lot when we where up there just didn't know how they would be in dec

Heard stories they were all still up near Hopewell. Im hoping there down in canjilon next week. Congrats on your hunt.

@ mailman , they were at Conjilon then too. The week before our hunt on the first cow hunt my uncle killed a cow there at 15 Springs rd. There is just too many elk in 51 for them to stay up high all the time, I really think it'll be a good hunt , my only advice is everybody should have tire chains and a shovel , just in case...Best of luck..

@Rio think your right chains for sure. I was all over 15 springs the road was like a Walmart parking lot, went to the top where the sign said 'no motorized vehicles" I hiked in 5 miles to see 4 wheelers and pick ups back there.Very frustrating. Hopefully less people this time I want my sons hunt to be a positive experience...Thx

Hey guys everything went great my son tagged out the first 45min opening day .We stayed there for the full five days and just scouted. What a nice unit i found two big herds 25 to 50 elk in them we got to see a nice couger and where able to really explore the unit we where on the elk every day they arent up high anymore they are everywhere.

Andrew , congrats to you and your boy! That's great to hear back , glad it worked out...Yeah that unit is truly amazing!Happy New Year!

Thank you all for your input .That was my 8year olds first elk hunt it was just him and i . That will be a Great memorys to put in the book . He and i will never forget those. If anybody needs any info on units 15 all of the 16s and 50 i can help when it comes time .

Thanks Andy

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom