Youth Hunt Questions

ORIONTHEHUNTER

Very Active Member
Just a couple of questions for you new mexico guys my daughter will be 8 in March and wants to take her hunter safety up here in SW Colorado. If she passes is she eligible for any new mexico youth hunts or is there a minimum age. Also curious what hunts offer a decent chance at a cow elk are the December 2b hunts any good. Thanks

Yes she is eligible, there is no minimum age in NM, you just have to pass a state certified hunter ed class. Im not sure about 2b personally, but I bet it would be a decent-good cow hunt at least. I'm really familiar with unit 52, and that hunt makes for a great time for the kids. Lots of elk, and its on the youth incentive list.

Smoked a bit..Turbo lit..and that was it..

I wouldn't go 2B for elk - although they are there, that is ideally deer country. Try for more of the NE corner portions of the state. Everything up in the NW corner of the state is mainly deer from my experience. Any of the 50's are good.

I'm pretty sure all cow hunts are resident only now.Maybe try for an Antelope tag... lots of fun for the kids they get to see lots of goats... its warm and fairly easy to get in range.
Jack

In Nov, with very little discussion and no public comment period the game and fish commision raised the min age to 10.

Really, cause when I called yesterday to confirm the lady at the game and fish office told me there was no minimum age all she needed was a hunter safety certificate.

Oh that's right, I believe you were reading the regs right pertaining to the NM residents only..sorry bout that. If you look under "youth encouragement" elk hunts in the proclamation, leftover cow tags go on sale to anyone (including non residents) 14 days after the initial purchase by residents. Sometimes there are some good hunts left, although you may have to travel to S. NM. Unit 53 can also be a productive cow hunt, and its in the far north central part of NM, and it almost always has tags left over. That might be an option, but you'll have to do your homework as the elk are highly migratory depending on weather there. As for the age limit, I have yet to hear anything about that. But I hope they didn't change it. Either way, if she has a hunter ed card, no matter what her age, I believe she's good to go in NM.

Smoked a bit..Turbo lit..and that was it..

I believe a minimum age was set with regards to the youth mentored program (program where youth can hunt with an adult prior to passing hunter safety). However, I believe that with a hunter's safety certificate, there is still no minimum age.

Youth mentorship program did set age limits on archery Elk do to the fact there were 5 and 6 year olds drawing archery Elk tags,and they were also trying to set a minimum age for youth to be eligible to take the courses.

>Youth mentorship program did set age
>limits on archery Elk do
>to the fact there were
>5 and 6 year olds
>drawing archery Elk tags,and they
>were also trying to set
>a minimum age for
>youth to be eligible to
>take the courses.

Will kids still be able to go with an adult superior for small game animals like birds?

My son will be 10 in March. I would like to take him Elk hunting with a muzzle or rifle. Don't think hes ready yet to pull back a 50lb bow effectively or approx. poundage. Anyone want to throw out some good elk youth hunt units for bulls?

"She can go on the youth encouragement elk hunt this year, but she'll need hunter ed if she plans to hunt anything other than small game, deer, javelina or turkey starting next license year."

A response from game and fish regarding mentored youth. My daughter is 12.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom