youth ibex hunt

S

stinkystomper

My wife will post some pics from our little scouting day. we saw lots of goats and some really good billys. I will post the results whe we get in tomorrow night of our first day ibex hunting. Lets hope m little nephew jaron can shoot straight.

Good luck guys! I hope your nephew can score and you and Cookie behave yourselves! Ha!

Cannot wait to see the prize!

sorry about the pics. guess my wife didn't post them. anyways we had a 3 hr hike this am to get to the top n when we did man! we were instantly greeted by the group of goats we bedded the night before. we snuck to within 425 yards and I told cookie that gun can punch a 2 inch group at that distance. I ran the trajectory in my phones software. busted out the wind meter etc. I adjusted the scope and told jaron its dead on just kill the big billy. boom. cookie said direct hit. I saw no such thing. if we had a direct hit the ibex would have been down with that bullet. I spent the rest of the day hiking to where the billy was. no sheep. no blood no hair nada. I did have an encounter with an ibex at one foot on a knife edge. he tried to ram me n I tried to kick him off. it was freaky. we were both scared forour lives. then I had eagles dive bomb me n try to knockme off other knife edges. those florida mountains are hateful. Anyways we will try a new area in the am and hopefully wrap this thing up. my poor legs are still cramping.

bam.... he's dead. now, me n cookie will be spending the next couple of hours packing this guy out. Im on top of the world as we speak and am about to attempt the worst pack job of my life. wish us luck.

that was a different ibex. cokie swears he hit the first ibex in the front shoulders n I told him it wasn't possible. the ibex we shot today was through the front shoulders and he dropped dead where he stood. the inside was a complete mess. That confirmed what I saw in my swaro spotting scope on the first goat. a complete miss. I figured with a 250 gr scenar hp out of a 338 lapua mag that I should have been able to find some blood in the sheeps bed but no luck. there weren't any bushes to hide in anywhere near and I looke in every crevas. I will post pics later of my hanging on a rock face when I was repositioning to look in another crevase. I will post that one and many more when I get home.

Congrats guys.

I cannot wait to see pics stinky! Maybe you need a name change? billystomper perhaps? ;-)

48e047412884a7d5.jpg

48e048bb3571a2dd.jpg

48e048d636565de3.jpg

48e048fa37f706c5.jpg

OK, here are stinkys pictures. Apparently he doesnt realize his wife has other things to do, like take care of his 3 kids. Im slow, but i get things done!! Hope you can see the kritters better than i can.

This is awesome! Can't wait to see the rest of the rest of the pics. Congrats to your nephew!.

Ok guys here ya go! I am about as tired as I have ever been but still on cloud nine. Jay did it just perfect this time and we really had a time of getting his ibex out but it's a labor of love for us so all's well.

48e0627b35d12168.jpg

48e062a53709338e.jpg

Great Job Jay! Your are very lucky to have so many passing on hunting tradition to you! Do yourself a favor and never forget the ones who help you along the way. Hope some day you can also pass it on!

Congrats Jay! Pretty nice goat. Yup, that is one thing I will probably never do!

My question is; How did you tolerate stinky and Cookie together for 3 days?;-)

My question is; How did you tolerate stinky and Cookie together for 3 days?

I have never met either of them, but for some reason, I bet they argued the whole trip....:D

He learned just like I have that stinky's gonna do what he's gonna do and all you can do is sit back and enjoy the show! He really can be entertaining if you have the right mindset.
Anyone thinking about putting in for this hunt NEEDS to know that the Florida mountains are some of the nastiest hills on the earth and nothing to take lightly. We saw several road hunters on this trip and I can promise you that they never got anywhere close to an ibex! You must climb that nasty rock to have a chance and it's gonna take you a minimum of three hours to get there and that's if you are in great shape. Stinky is the picture of "in shape" and it was wearing on him.
Jay was a real trooper through all this and he is MORE than welcome to hunt with me anytime! I can't say enough about him. A real pleasure to be around and great attitude. I think I may be getting old or something but I'm getting to the point where I think I would rather take young people like him than hunt myself!
I don't think this hunt is well suited for a younger hunter than Jaron. It is just going to be too much for a very young hunter. How do I "sugar coat" this? If the kid whines about minor things at home and school, DON'T put them in for this hunt. You will just be setting yourself up for disaster. They won't make it.

Stinky is hollering about putting more pics up so here are a couple with Jay and his "guides"

Jay and Stinky

48e115ca2c76e63e.jpg

Jay and me

48e116d3345e777a.jpg

cookie hit the nail on the head about the difficulty of this hunt. We saw several youth hunters in their late teens refusing to go up the mountain. No-how No-way do they have a snow balls chance. I put my 10 year old son in for this hunt this year and definitely will not put him in for this hunt until he is at least 14 or so. Even then he must be able to make at least a 10 mile hike on an easy muley hunt without complaint before I will even consider putting him back in for this hunt. I've done some nasty hunts before but this one took the cake. It wasn't too bad yesterday just having to hike up the hill, kill a goat and go back down, but if you have to go check all the cracks and crevases for a possible hit goat????? Your done. Saturday literaly fried me. I spent 4 hours with constant leg cramps etc. looking for jays goat. Cookied said not to shoot at the goat where he was. I was bull-headed and told him where he could go. I said shoot that monster and I will do the rest. Well, Jay took the shot, missed, and I held up my end of the bargain. I really wish I would have listened. If I had one of those distress beacons I would have called mountain rescue. I was stuck on a sheer rock face for over 30 minutes before making what could have been a fatal lunge to a nearby rock ledge. I did some really stupid stuff to double and triple check wether or not jay hit his goat. 4 hours later I emerged from the chasm and literally laid out flat and praid that god would put me out of my misery right then and there. I was hurtin. So here you go cookie, you were right, I was wrong. Your way on day 2 was better. Just because it's not the steepest ugliest nastiest hill doesn't mean you can't kill something(even thought it was all steep nasty and ugly). Also, patience is a virtue, but I come from a go-getter point of view and sometimes have a hard time waiting for things to come to me. So there you go cookkie. Honestly though, me and cookie really don't like hunting without each other. We're a lot alike and make an awesome team. We're looking forward to when me or cookie can go on this hunt for ourselves with a rifle. Yes cookie admits he'd like to be able to take a rifle in there. Here's hoping for that one day. However, Jay had an awesome time and is hopefully hooked for like. Funniest thing about it all is that when jay shot the above goat I said he missed. Cookie wondered what happened as well. The shot was 350 yards and we were looking at an absolute monster standing broadside. Jay shot the one behind him because my scope was on 22 power and didn't see the one three feet in front of him. Jay was found a goat that made him excited and kept asking cookie if he could shoot. The goat we were watching was walking and we didn't want him to shoot. Jays goat was standing still and jay kept saying "Can I shoot him now?" cookie would say "NO, wait". This was reapeated about 10 or so times. The goat cookie and I were watching finally stopped and cookie said take him. At that jay pulled the trigger. I was trying to get jay to shoot at him again when I heard cookie say he dropped that goat where he stood. Then I saw the goat in the back laid out dead. talk about amazement, confusion and excitement all in one. Talk about a hilarious hunt. we all had a blast. thanks cookie and jay for an awesome hunt.

Way to go guys!!! That is AWESOME! Those hills will test the most seasoned of mountain hunters for sure, much less a young hunter on his first mountain hunt.. Jay did real good!

OMG!!! I'm gonna print that out and frame it. There's some words I never thought I would hear out of stinky. I was right??
I keep getting asked when I'm gonna post a particular picture that Jay took that I really didn't want him taking because I was afraid it might be the last photo of stinky. I call this stinkystupid!

48e13bc7518e6486.jpg

Stinky, gonna have to change your name to Spiderman.

What are you thinking? Risking your life over a goat????

You guys got me pumped to draw an ibex tag. Some day I hope.

That looks like an amazing hunt.

Congrats to Jay. You should be real proud of him.

stinky was just showing off to us Utards. I am with you Cookie, change his name, stinkystupid would fit! Ha! Seriously stinky, what in the hell were you doing? Hugging that mountain? You must love that place? Ha!

Congrats Jay. Yup, I will NEVER get an Ibex on that mountain!

What I was doing was getting to the spot that the billy was laying in when jay supposedly shot him. I thought it wasn't that bad until I looked down. Holy crap, I thought I was dead a couple of times. I was just really pumped and my adrenaline was through the roof. I was bent on finding a dead goat on one of those peaks. When I got back and saw the pics that Jaron took of me I crapped my pants.

Stinky,
you are insane, dude!!! I know that feeling though.. You just HAVE to see for yourself if it was a hit or miss.. I found myself out on a ledge or two just like that on a Tahr hunt in New Zealand. It'll make your sticker peck out fo' sho'!!

heheh...now I know why those things have such legendary eye-sight: camo just doesn't come in that color. Awesome goat, awesome pics, and much good entertainment all around. Thanks for sharing both the pics and the story. Only in NM.

Thanks for the photos and hunt report.
Looks like there are still acouple of nice billies on the rock.
If your rock-hugger photo shows where they were bed, I'd hate to see where they go when they're spooked!
Is Jay hooked on billies now or done with that desert rock?
Thanks again.
BB

The little dude is HOOKED! I told him he has 5 more years of trying to draw before the odds get really ugly. We met a kid and his dad from Hobbs who had drawn this year and last year as well so there's a chance Jay will be visiting the "rock" again!! I can't wait and neither can he.

Cookie and Co., Congrats on a great goat! I knew if it could be done that you'd find a way , congrats on your guys success. He did just right , I loved hearing all about it , though I'm very sure there is so much more. Way to challange "The Rock" and come home with your alls hand raised. Again congrats on a job very well done.

Holy shizzle Stinky!

And you want ME to guide YOU next fall for elk.....I'm not so sure i can keep up to the rock crawling!

Can we change your name to "Spiderman"???

Great story and pix man, can't wait till our hunt!!
(i'll be sure to have rope and climbing gear just in case!! Lol)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom