Yukon Bound...

D

DustyElko

Well it's been a long time since I've been on here but in that time I finally booked my dream hunt. In September I booked a dall sheep hunt with Chris McKennon and Bonnet Plume Outfitters in the Yukon. I am going on the 1st hunt and fly up on July 28th and I know this year is flying by but to me, it's not fast enough. I was gonna see if anyone else on here has hunted with him and any traveling tips or anything.
Thanks,
Dusty

HEY DUSTY.....GREAT HUNT YOUR GOING ON. I HUNTED WITH WIDRIG IN 2006. IN ADDITION TO DALL SHEEP....THE YUKON HAS GREAT CARIBOU HUNTING (I GOT A BIG DOUBLE SHOVEL BULL) AS A SIDE ANIMAL. YOU WILL MOST LIKELY SEE WOLVES & BLACK BEAR. WE SAW LOTS ON GRIZZLIES EVERYDAY, THE WOLVERINES & WOLVES WILL STEAL YOU MEAT....GET IT TO CAMP SOON ASP. BE PREPARED TO SEE GRIZ AT CLOSE RANGE....SOMETIMES IN CAMP, I SLEPT WITH MY GUN LOADED IN THE TENT/AS DID MY GUIDE. CHECK YOUR GEAR LIST 9 TIMES BEFORE YOU DEPART, & TRY TO FIND OUT WHO YOUR GUIDE WILL BE/CHECK HIM OUT BEFORE IF POSSIBLE (CALL OTHER PAST HUNTERS). QUALIFIED GUIDES IN THE YUKON ARE A TUFF ISSUE, YOU MIGHT FIND GUYS THAT ARE JUST OUT OF WORK, HAVE BAGGAGE/ISSUES/LONER TYPES/ OR THE GUIDE THAT NEVER TALKS OR WILL NOT COMMUNICATE. THIS CAN PUT A DAMPER ON YOUR HUNT.....GOOD LUCK....PM ME IF YOU LIKE......YD.

Hunted sheep in the Yukon with Pete Koser in 2006.Some traveling tips:

1)Arrive at least one and preferably two days early-there were ALOT of issues with guys not getting all their gear at the same time they arrived in Whitehorse.Air Canada is terrible for this problem.

2)Arrive early and schedule plenty of layover time between flights to deal with Customs/firearms issues.

3)Fill out and take with you a form from US Customs with a list of all your firearms and expensive gear like optics and cameras.You have to take all your stuff to your local US Customs office,fill it out in their presence, and have them sign it.This is a HUGE help in coming back into the country because it shows your didn't buy the stuff in Canada and owe no duties,etc.

4)BE NICE to all Canadian, US Customs, and TSA people no matter how frustrating the situation.

5)Keep a copy of all TSA and your airlines' rules for traveling with firearms. This can come in very handy as many workers don't know their own rules.Have case with TSA locks,remove the bolt from your rifle and have a cable lock on it,keep ammo in factory boxes and stored in a separate bag.I have a sturdy metal rifle case with wheels and a shelf for my duffel bag and this worked great.

6)Use your pack as your carry-on and keep all your expensive gear in it.Wear your hunting boots-it keeps your bag weight down and you have them if your bag is lost.

7)Keep your Passport and all your paperwork handy at all times.

8)Try to make sure TSA & your airline checks your rifle/bags all the way through to your ultimate destination.I'm not even really sure what that means but a couple of people told me along the way that saved me alot of time becuase they did that(they had time since I arrived early and no one was in line behind me).

Because I was prepared,knew and followed the rules,had plenty of time, and was nice things went very smoothly for me.Not so much with some other guys I saw.

Main thing:pACK LIGHT!!! I thought I did and still ended up leaving alot of stuff at base camp-I might as well have left it in Texas.I think the new bag weight restrictions are really a blessing in disguise to the traveling hunter.

I actually had few issues but I think being prepared helped alot.You are in for the trip of a lifetime. Good hunting!!!

Don't know where the smiley-face came from.He's supposed to be a "P". The symbols just added up to make him I guess!

:)

Dusty,

You are in for a treat. +1 to cbeards comments. Give your self plenty of time to get to Whitehorse with all of your gear. We flew into Whitehorse in 2003 and had to wait for two days for our gear to arrive. The fewer stops along the way the better.

If you can take an extra duffel bag to bring home the horns and cape. If you shoot a caribou be prepared to pay to have the antlers shipped home. I think we paid about $400 to $500 to get our anlters home from the Northwest Territories in 2006. You will also want to talk to the outfitter before hand about saving the velvet as the caribou will be in full velvet that time of year.

The most important thing that you can do is get in shape before you go. Also make sure that your boots are broken in. I've used the Kenetrek's on my last three sheep hunts and really liked them. Keep us posted as you get ready for your hunt.

The customs form that you list your firearm on is 4457. you need it to get your firearm back into the US. Go to a customs office before your trip, don't wait til you are enroute. Also zerox a copy of your passport, airline flight schedule and drivers license as a precaution.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Holy cow I wasn't expecting so many people to reply but thank you all very very much!! 1st off, I am planning on getting a caribou while I'm there. The black bear, wolf, and wolverine are all three lil additions at no cost from the outfitter. I have heard so many stories of people getting their gear lost on their way up it still makes me nervous. I have 2 days in Whitehorse before I fly out for the hunt so hopefully it all gets there WITH me. I have been working out like crazy just for this hunt and am feeling very confident already about my cardio. My outfitter sent me one of the firearm forms to bring with me and I've got a good sturdy gun case for it. The gear list says that a spotting scope is optional, would you recemend to bring my own? But thank you ALL very much I really appreciate all the comments and advice. I'll keep ya posted.
Dusty

Dusty If you have a good scope I would bring it. I brought my Swaro STS 65 and it was invaluable.The guide had a mid-level Leupold and we basically ended up switching out between my EL's and scope while glassing. The scope was set up at spike camp and that's how we located the band of rams I took mine from-about 3 miles away. We might have seen them but certainly couldn't have judged them with the guide's scope.

Getting in shape is paramount(isn't a sheep hunt good motivation?) but I think you'll find the Yukon not as bad as most of the Rockies or the mountains in Alaska-depending on where you go of course.

A couple of suggestions for gear:

1) Rain cover for your pack. (I bought one at REI)

2) Rain cover for your gun. I like the Kifaru brand.
https://www.kifaru.net/supportgear.html

I also use thier gun bearer with my pack. https://www.kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

3) I took a pair of Wiggys to cross streams. It keeps you from having to take off your boots every time you cross. I put rocks in mine and tossed them back for my guide to cross.
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5&CFID=2540858&CFTOKEN=63768728

4) A good pair of gators. (OR's or Kenetrek)

If the weather forcast is dry you can leave some of this stuff in camp, but if it rains 5 out of 10 days you'll be glad you have them. I also like to use hiking poles. I used one pole on my first hunt and two on my last two. I prefer two.

One of the best packing lists that I have seen was by Garth Carter in the hunting fool. He hunted with Bonnet Plume in 2007 and 2008 and took some great sheep.

Dusty,

Good Luck and keep us updated. I hope to be heading for a Fannin hunt with Dan Reynolds in August of 2011.
Thanks for all of the suggestions here as I have never been to Canada to hunt. I will print this off but would love to hear from hunters who go to Canada this year to see if anything changes.

cbeard,

6)Use your pack as your carry-on and keep all your expensive gear in it.Wear your hunting boots-it keeps your bag weight down and you have them if your bag is lost.

How is it you can use your backpack for carry-on if it will not fit an overhead compartment?

I am likely headed to the NWT this year and I love all the suggestions.
Thanks

lbh-

I went on a full horse pack trip so my "pack" was just a Badlands Superday and it was plenty small enough. I agree full size packs would probably not make it...not sure where the cut off would be.

Good hunting!

LBH,

I put my backpack in a large duffle bag going up. You can then use the duffle bag on the way back to bring home your horns, cape and dirty clothes. I was able to put both my sheep cape and caribou cape in the bag with my horns. You should be able to go 60 to 70 lbs on the flight to Canada, but you might want to check.

I used a small back pack as a carry on and put a set of hunting clothes in it along with my binoculars, cameras etc;. I also wore my boots on the plane just to make sure they didn't get lost. I put my walking sticks in with my rifle.

Give your self plenty of time between flights. We stayed in Edmonton overnight before heading to Norman Wells. It took us two full days to get to camp and three to get home, but it was more than worth it. It's one of those once in a lifetime experiences. With any luck I'll get to go back next year.

Paul

Dusty, you need to stay in sheep shape so you can pack my desert out for me this year.. i have alot of backpack gear at the house that you are welcome to if needed.. Shane

Paul,
Thanks for the feedback. I am getting confirmation today or tomorrow that we will be moving our hunt to this year, so it is crunch time for getting ready. I have lost 20 lbs, but I have another 20 to go, so I have some serious physical prep to do as well. I will PM you with some more questions about ARRO.
Thanks again
Rick

Dusty,

One thing you need to pack is memories of your dad. Several times at work, he told me he always wanted to kill a Dall.

When you kill your ram; sit and enjoy the moment, and reflect about Doc. I guarantee, he'll be with you on the mountain!

I'm looking forward to the pics and story!!

Dave

After going out with you yesterday. I think your in fine shape, I've hiked with a lot of people, and your one of the only guys thats been able to hang. Just stay where your at, and trust me, your guide will be impressed. If you need to shave some weight and pack feather weight rifle let me know. you can use mine. shoot a lot before you go, I can only imagine a guides frustration with clowns that can't shoot, but your not a clown! I just dont know how your shooting is! haha!

Shon

Hey thanks once again for all the valuable advice from everyone. Dave, I really appreciate your comments and as a matter of fact, I'm taking a little bit of Doc's ashes with me to spread when I knock a big twister down. I sure appreciate it Mr. And shon, I had a blast out hiking with ya especially with some good pics to remember why us knuckleheads do it. We're definatly gonna do some more hikin. Thanks a million guys!!
Dusty

And Mr. Shane,
I definatly haven't forgot about your offer from the game feed. I can't tell ya how much I appreciate it. I am definatly thinking of more and more stuff I need especially from this post and still might take ya up on something. But I hope all is well with you and the fam and I'm sure I'll see or talk to ya soon buddy. If you wanna get out hiking at all let me know. Adios amigo.
Dusty

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom