Zac's Utah desert ram

Zeke

Long Time Member
Howdy ladies and gents.
For you, like me, who don't often frequent the "hunt adventure challenge", here's a few pics of my son's Utah desert sheep hunt.

Awesome country
3271dsc2654001.jpg

6838dscn2390.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-15 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-15 AT 10:55?AM (MST)

A couple more angles

6605dsc2601.jpg

1807dsc2514.jpg

If you're inclined, you can check out both our hunts in the "Hunt Adventure Challenge" forum and see the progression from drawing the tags through the preparation and to our eventual success on both 2015 bighorn sheep hunts.

Thanks for coming along,
Zeke

edit: dang spelling!

Wow, what a fantastic ram! You guys have had the year of a lifetime. Congratulations to both of you-so good to see your hard work and dedication come to fruition.

the envy and the jealousy just get worse congrates to the two of you on two outstanding trophies thanks for all the post because some of can't draw a tag and we have to live through your great times a field

Congrats to your son and all that helped. A super great ram with lots of character.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thanks for all the comments!
It was a wonderful experience to hunt such a regal animal with my son. We've been on many top-notch hunts over the years but this is a new pinnacle.
Zeke

>Zeke my fav pic is the
>last one! It has soul.
>Congrats to you both.

Mine too.
The "posed" pics are great but the "candid" pics capture so much more emotion.

Like this shot I snapped
8081dscn2428.jpg

He's still in awe at what he just accomplished!

Zeke

Zac's ram is even more stunning in person.
Beyond his magnificent headgear, his dark cape is as pretty as they come. He almost looked black in the fading light of Spence's spotting scope the night before. What a magnificent creature!
The Z-men are a great bunch and we were honored to tag along. Congrats again to Zac and Zeke for an epic adventure and outcome.

That is so cool!
Congratulations to you and your son, on a fun, successful, and rewarding (for us and you I am sure) year.

That is just awesome.

Mike

Thank you all so much for celebrating Zac's hunt and success with us.....and for the good friends who were crucial to his success (Littlebighorn and son). Better fiends cannot be found!

Zeke

That is a dandy UT desert. Congrats to you and your son on two incredible rams this year. Really enjoyed your Hunt Adventure post. Thanks for taking us along.

Once again Kyle, what an awesome ram and another great hunt! Great year for your family!

buckrush,

I've been lucky and have eaten lots of sheep of all different types. It's all good.

Dall sheep is the best to me but all the sheep are excellent table-fare.

Contrary to popular belief, sheep meat is not mutton tasting at all but has a slightly different flavor from other venison. It's more flavorful and tender than elk.

I fixed wild "surf and turf" for my wife last night. Striped bass and Wyoming bighorn, baked potatoes and fresh salad with blue cheese dressing. Delicious!

Good luck on your hunt! Where, what and when is it?

Zeke

Cooked some of my AZ ram along with some venison at deer camp this past weekend. My buddies all liked the sheep better. I told them to enjoy it because not many ever get to try it and when this one's gone there likely won't be any more. :)

>buckrush,
>
>I've been lucky and have eaten
>lots of sheep of all
>different types. It's all good.
>
>
>Dall sheep is the best to
>me but all the sheep
>are excellent table-fare.
>
>Contrary to popular belief, sheep meat
>is not mutton tasting at
>all but has a slightly
>different flavor from other venison.
>It's more flavorful and tender
>than elk.
>
>I fixed wild "surf and turf"
>for my wife last night.
>Striped bass and Wyoming bighorn,
>baked potatoes and fresh salad
>with blue cheese dressing. Delicious!
>
>
>Good luck on your hunt! Where,
>what and when is it?
>
>
>Zeke

Thanks for the reply. It sounds good! My desert sheep hunt runs from the end of November to beginning of December and it is a tribal reservation hunt in Utah.

My thoughts exactly nicely done. On both rams Congratulations are in order. You both done well and thanks for keeping us posted and all the great stories and pics. Sorry it took me so long to reply. But then I am going through Old life crises I am sure you understand no sheep tag yet. Rutnbuck

Thanks for the compliments gents.
It was a thing of beauty and it's almost too bad that it's all over for the year.
Zeke

Thanks again for all the nice comments and also the words of encouragement leading up to the hunt!

It's been over the 60 days drying period so we're going to have the ram officially measured.

By my most accurate calculations, the ram should easily make B&C Awards but not all-time. We shall see, possibly as soon as tomorrow. The tape will NOT determine if we had a great hunt! We'll measure to honor the animal, not the hunters.

8709rscn2502.jpg

Zeke

An inch one way or another can't be a gage for the quality of any outdoor experience. Certainly not that one!
And no metric system can dictate beauty. A quality that Zac's ram has in abundance.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-15 AT 12:49PM (MST)[p]You're so correct!
I'll bet I've watch the "Oh, OOH, WOW" video of yours, from the night before, 500 times. I giggle every time with how that ram took the breath away from a couple very seasoned sheep hunters!
It's a classic. Thanks LBH.
Zeke

It's official!

Zac's ram will make B&C awards with a score of 166 3/8" gross and 165 5/8" net. It does not qualify for B&C all-time.

Compared to those rams that have been measured in Utah, his ram is #16 all-time and #4 of Non-Zion rams.... according to Rusty Hall who measured it and puts the Utah Record Book together.

The ram officially scored almost exactly what we'd previously taped it at.

Honor to the ram and the friends/family who shared in the hunt with us!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom