Zeiss Conquest Scope

opbuckslayer

Just wondering if anybody has any personal experience using the Conquest 6.5-20x50AO w/target turrets?

I'm considering this scope for a Savage long range fluted 6.5x284 I just got and would like to purchase the custom turrets from Kenton Ind. to go on it. I'm also considering the Vortex Viper HS and over paying for an Oregon special VX3LR. The best deal,warranty/customer service and optic quality go into the equation for me so any input would be appreciated. Doug @ Cameraland has some pretty good prices on this unit right now. Thanks guys.

Should be a great scope. I have the 4.5-14X44 and it is definately superior to my 4.5-14X50 VX-3 optically. The zeiss has 18 MOA per revolution vs 15 MOA on the leupold, but the leupold turrets are bigger and can hold more numbers. (conversely the zeiss turrets are smaller and less obnoxious. Leupold wins the customer service side hands down, and they can make you a turret for 1/2 the cost of the kenton (again, I have both). I had to retrofit my zeiss with target knobs, but my brother and a friend each bought the 4.5-14X50 zeiss with target turrets and they love them.

The new zeiss conquest HD5 looks awesome and it has a zero stop, but you only get one revolution and the zero stop limits it to about 16 MOA (so you don't get the full 18MOA), the also changed the dial on the HD5 so that it rotates the same way as leupold (and all others). Previously it was backwards (old conquests).

Thanks for the reply and I inquired about it today at Camera Land. I think I will pull the trigger on the Zeiss and hope for the best.

As a side note:

I have a leupold 6.5-20 X 56 on my savage target gun and I have hunted with it because its amazingly accurate. It can be very difficult to find animals in the scope at 200-300 yards with that much magnification. I think 4.5-14 is a much better range for hunting and I do shoot my 4.5-14's at 1000 yards too with enough magnification (at 14X) to see the 3" orange sticker that I place on the target.

I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 with target turrets and mil dots. I have had the scope for 4 years and love it. it is very clear, bright and turrets track really well. I use it to shoot out to 1000 yards and beyond with .300 WSM. I ordered an EGW 25 MOA one piece base in order to reach 1000 yards with the turrets. The way the scope initially mounted on my rifle it was already towards the top of the adjustment range and only allowed around 20 MOA of adjustment up. In my experience the scope returns to 0 very well after adjusting to shoot at long distances.

I just recently bought a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 LR w/ Dead Hold reticle. I have not had a chance to test it out. It seems comparable to the Zeiss but maybe not quite as clear. Functionally, the turrets click very positively and line up with fixed reference mark a little better than the Zeiss.

The plus side of the HS LR is that it has 75 MOA of adjustment compared to the Zeiss's 65MOA(I believe)

Hope this helps.

Also, the Zeiss needs to be on 10x when using mil dots for the distances between dots to be correct. It would have been nice if it was 14x that the dots were calibrated to.

I believe the Vortex is calibrated at the highest power when using the reticle for range finding and hold over.

Thanks for the feedback SE. I went ahead and got the 6.5-20 TT/mil dot and am pretty happy for the 650 dollar price tag. Plan on getting a custom turret from Kenton when I get a load worked up in my rifle.

I have the 6.5-20x50 Conquest on my custom 300 Wby. I liked it but when I sent it back to Zeiss to have the turret installed and then added a Kenton dial and I lost quite a bit of elevation adjustment. Currently, it only has 31 MOA of adjustment from stop to stop. It is supposed to have 45 MOA of adjustment. I have it on a +20 MOA base and luckily I only need 20 MOA to get to 1000 yards. Optically the scope is great. It holds zero just fine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom