Zeiss customer service and repair experience

overkill

I have recently been dealing with Zeiss's customer service and repair department and wanted to get your input on my experience.
I own the diascope 65t spotting scope and have had to send it back for repair 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years. Each time the problem centered on the coarse focus knob. Twice it broke and would simply free-spin. The third time, it would jump or skip then catch again, only to jump and skip again once it was turned a full revolution. I will also say that each time I sent it back, it took around 6 months to get it back. I was send a "loaner" each time though.

Before I sent it back the third time, I was advised from someone there to include a letter stating to request a replacement instead of fixing the same scope, since it had happened before. They ended up fixing my unit, and it took around 6 months. Fast foward to sending it back a fourth time. This time I requested in person that the entire scope be replaced and was told that their technician advised me to say that. Their reply was that this person had no authority to say this and to send it back. Once they received it they would look at the scope and make that decision based on their findings. I received a call today and was told that they would replace the entire unit, but that they were replacing it with a display unit. A display unit is different from a demo unit and was told that a demo unit " goes out in the field for use." whereas a display unit does not. I'm still not sure what the difference between a display and demo unit is.

My question is, if you were in my shoes, would you be satisfied with Zeiss's decision to replace my scope with a "display unit" instead of a new one? I spent around $1500 for mine brand new and kind of feel a bit shorted knowing now I will be receiving a "display" unit.

For that kind of money, and crappy customer service, I would just tell them to send me the value of the display unit in a cashiers check and then go spend that money on another brand.

Scott

No way in hell I'd settle for a anything other than a new unit, where you paid for a new unit, or a full refund!

Seems as if the display unit sits in a store or factory and does nothing....is not used. The demo is taken out in the field and possibly beat up. I think I would be happy with the demo...however, I would make sure it is in writing that this is a display model and that if the same problem persists in the future..you have the ability to either get a refund or a new unit. I don't think you'd have this problem with Leupold!

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom