Zeiss vs Leupold

upmuley

OK...Here is a question for everyone. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10 on a gun and really like it. But I also have been reading up on the new Leupold Boone & Crockett Reticle and like the features for longer ranges. I would be mounting the scope on a 300 WSM. What are everyone's thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Anybody have a scope with the B&C reticle?

Muley,
I've got a Leupold VXIII 4.5X14 w/BC reticle on my 7mm Rem Mag. I like the set up. The BC reticle helps alot for long range shots. It kinda works like sight pins on a bow.
-Raptor

I have the Leupold BC reticle 4.5-14 on a 300 RUM and it works great. I have shot both deer and elk with it. Did alot of research before I bought and compared alot of scopes. The price and quality where well worth it and I have been able to be more consistent at and past 300 yds with this scope. Good Luck with your choice

I have a Swarovski 4-12x50 with the TDS reticle on a 300WSM. The B&C reiticle is basically the same as the TDS. It is an awesome set up, but you need a good shooting gun and practice in order to take full advantage of the system. Try to find a range that allows you to shoot out to 500 yards so you can test your rifle with the different cross hairs.

The "archery sight" analogy is right on, that is exactly what it is. How many of us would even try to make a 50 yard shot with a 20 yard pin? When you "hold over" with a single cross hair scope then that is what you are doing. To take the analogy one step further: Would you trust your 50 yard pin if you had never shot it at 50 yards? Practice, Practice, Practice.

Chris Denham

500 YRS,HA 650 EASY! HOWEVER YOU NEED TO SHOOT A LOT!
I HAVE THAT TDS ON A 7MM mag!

rm

Why not just go with a target turret and dial it up to the exact nats a$$. To me it seems like the extra lines would be alright but not nearly as good as just holding right on stuff with your regular cross hairs. I use a target turret with a Leupold 4.5x14x50 Vari XIII and I LOVE it! No guess work involved once you know how many clicks it takes for each distance. Make yourself a chart and never look back.

Of course keep in mind while your shooting long range there are lots of things that will effect your bullet (ie. humidity, altitude, wind, angle up/down hill etc. etc.). Make sure you are positive before you pull the trigger and good luck!

NvrEnuf

I just bought the VXIII 4.5-14 x 50 BC in Silver for my setup. I was worried I "over did it", but it sounds like you guys like the setup. I'm not rich, but feel like it after paying for that bad boy!! Holy cow! I'll post after it's mounted and shot for a bit. Excited now! :)

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

I dont have either one, but I do own a Burris Black Diamond with their ballistic plex reticle on my .338, and although Ive never fired at an animal that far, rocks @ 500 are dead meat!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-06 AT 02:27PM (MST)[p]I own both Leupold and Zeiss Conquest scopes and I do believe that Zeiss has the edge on glass. However, I can find no wrong with any of my Leupolds and if the range point recticle is what your after then go for it. I think the only recticle that Zeiss has of that type is a mil-dot. I may be wrong on that.

I did do have a Burris fullfield II with ballistic plex as well and although I do not feel it has as good of glass as either Vari-X III's or any Zeiss the Ballistic plex does work and kind of fun to play with.

I had to play around with it a lot. I think using handloads and achieving good zeros would be a lot easier then going pot luck with factory loads.

My biggest caution is that those types of recticles are not a substitute for getting out spending a lot of trigger time developing your loads and getting comfortable with any rifle.

There's no doudt Zeiss is s excellent product.Leupold is the only brand scope i have used in the 25 years i have been hunting and not once have i had a problem with them.Just recently i purchased the Leupold 3.5X10 W/BC reticle for a new Tikka 270WSM.I have made several trips to the range and am very impressed with it.Now i need to draw a tag so i can take it hunting. I only have Wyoming and Arizona left its not looking good!!!

NvrEnuf I was wondering how long you have had the target turret and if it is rugged and dependable over time. It sounds great! I have a Swarovski with TDS and love it on my 300 RUM.

There is a Leupold authorized dealer "premier reticle" that will not only have the B&C type reticle in your scope, they will calibrate the scope to your load/caliber. I have the VXIII with my scope adjusted for 115 ballistic tips in .257 wby mag . Premier allows you the flexibility to pick out options on the type of reticle, what caliber your shooting, what conditions you shoot in etc. You might want to take a look at their website and see if this helps.....Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Have Zeiss conquest 4.5x14/44 target knob in the elevation postion Mil-dot.The primary reason for Zeiss is that the reticle is in the primary focal plane, what this means is as you increase mag. the distance the mil dot represents stays the same. EI 2 Moa between hash marks stays the same no matter what magnification your scope is set on. Leupold scopes the reticle is in the second focal plane as you change magnification the MOA each hash represents changes with magnification.Thats why leupold has the large arrow and the small arrow locations on the adj. ring. Also not that accurate for range estimation or hold over. Leupold does make a scope they call it frontal plane feature. I believe it is in there Mark 4 line of scopes. Big bucks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom