Zen-Ray ED3

I think they've only had it out a couple days so I doubt anyone has much use with them yet...what I want to see a pic of is the dual zone tripod adapter socket...anyone know what tripods it will work with, any?? I've never had a my binos on a tripod before so I don't know anything about any setups...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

I have had the 8x and 10x 43 ED 3 for a few days. Catch the review here.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2185831#post2185831

The dual zone tripod adapter is the addition of a standard tripod threaded adapter in the hinge in front of the focus knob, in addition to the original on the front hinge. ANy standard tripod adapter will work either place. The one in front of the focus knob pretty well centers the weight on the tripod.

The x36 version is in the works too.

quote from me-"an x36 version is in the works too"...

I got crossed up here, my bad. There is a 7x43 ED 3 in the works. When I read 7x, I made the erroneus assumption theat they meant the 7x36. Live and learn

>I have had the 8x and
>10x 43 ED 3 for
>a few days. Catch
>the review here.
>http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2185831#post2185831
>
>The dual zone tripod adapter is
>the addition of a standard
>tripod threaded adapter in the
>hinge in front of the
>focus knob, in addition to
>the original on the front
>hinge. ANy standard tripod
>adapter will work either place.
> The one in front
>of the focus knob pretty
>well centers the weight on
>the tripod.
>
>The x36 version is in the
>works too.

Any tripod adaptor that works with ZEN ED3 binoculars?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-11 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]Both adaptors are standard 1/4" threads. Any tripod adapter works. I have Vortex, Nikon, and Bushnell and they all work. Nikon makes one that has a quite wide threaded attachment knob that they intended mostly for porro style. I have one of those, but the ED 3 has to be opened to max IPD distance. When the adapter is installed, the hinge can be placed to whatever distance you need.

I bit the bullets and got a pair of 10x43 ZEN ED3. I really like the finish of the new binoculars. It also is noticeably brighter than the ED2. The focuser is fast and it took me a while to get used to it after using slower focusing binoculars for a long time. But I think I appreciate the fast focus more when spending a few days behind them.

I buy optics to look through not any other reason so optical clarity is paramount among reasons to pick one over the other, then comes durability,then ergonomics, then price, then maybe warranty and finally if all others were equal I might consider resale and the possibility of a transferable warranty.

I have a Zen ed2 10x42 and optically it is great! I have compared it to my Swarovski SLC of the same power and optically it gives up very little. I have read many,many reviews and most rate the Zen above all of the vortex optically and the only comeback I ever hear is the warranty is better with vortex. Then. There is the argument for the Alphas and their resale value, I own a Swarovski and I won't be selling it and at this point I could probably make money on them but I'm still not selling.

My advice whether you are comparing one alpha to the others or one budget bino to another is to buy the best at what YOU want it to do which is to see things to shoot therefore the best optical clarity is top of the list. If YOU want resale value then get the bino with the best resale value and a transferable warranty.

Look in the classifieds, people do sell their optics for various reasons and if you forsee yourself doing so then consider that in the purchase but don't expect all people asking for optics advice to be the same as you, some people simply want the best view for the dollar and that is the answer to why someone would buy.......

The ZenRay over the Vortex.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

+1 Foreman!

But they have such a great warranty!?

Forget the fact you could buy two pair of Zens for the price of the BEST Vortex and probably never use the second pair of Zens But if you break the first and they don't stand behind them (doubtful) you would have the second.

If I break my chit because I do something idiotic and the factory says sorry but we think you need to take better care of your chit I am okay with that, would I take advantage of a company that would stand behind MY idiocy? Yes. But I won't sacrifice quality to get that kind of coverage. Now if Vortex or another company offered an equally great product for a similar price with that kind of coverage then yes I would buy for warranty but otherwise............

Bill

I want the ED3's bad but I need to sell my ED2's before I can do it. If anyone wants an 8x43 ED2 for cheap send me a pm...

~Z~

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-12 AT 11:16PM (MST)[p]settle down ZR guys I just cannot see the point in buying binos that are optically the same but one without the full warranty.

vortex talons were equal maybe a bit crisper then zr ed3's i looked through and i have the awesome unconditional warranty. i dont think zens beat vortex in any aspect. they really are not that much cheaper either 50 bucks ish. better off spending the extra 50 to get an unconditional warranty imo.

Theox, if the view was better (it's not IMO) I would agre but I just wont step down in performance and pay more for a product just to get a better warranty.

You like your vortex and their warranty, GREAT!

I don't.

Bill

huntindad thats exactly it your opinion. when you drop and break yours ill still be lookin through the same pair that are just as crisp to me haha. but i understand your ppoint. if they looked that much better to me than i could see why someone would choose those for the same price. guess thats why there are so many diff bino companies still in business. to each there own

My side by side place the Talon and the ZEN ED 2 as equals. The ED 3 (sorry Vortex guys) is better, with sharper edge and maybe a little brighter.

Truth is arguing that difference is pretty silly. If you like one or the other, buy the silly thing and use it.

I think the Talon is the reason the Razor HD (original HD, not original Razor) is on the way out. The Talon was close enough at far less $$$$ and Razor HD sales were likely taking a hit. SO the do a nice update to the Talon with an 8x32 and drum up an even newer Razor HD.

I had the Zen ED2 10x and had terrible focus knob problems with it sent it back they upgraded me to the ED3 for just a few bucks extra, got the ED3 the glass was stunning but once again the focus knob was real sloppy so I sent it back they agreed 1/4" slop is too much so they sent me another pair. This time the focus knob still had a little play and I could tell they have a problem with the focus wheel. I went and bought a pair of Minox on clearance sale and will never buy chinese binos again.

m_freeman, I'm not calling you a liar but I have a really hard time believing people on here when they have repeating problems with different ZR binos. Since I bought mine, 13 friends and family members have bought ZR binos and NONE of them have had a single issue with theirs...

~Z~

+1 NC

Not judging anyone but I have turned a few friends and family on to the Zens and ZERO problems so far.

Bill

I really wanted my ZR experience to be the best, after all, the glass is like 90% or more of the alphas, at 1/3 the costs. When the third pair arrived and even after ZR themslves said 1/4" slop in the focus knob of a brand new pair is too much, I realized the problem is Chinese quality control. The third pair I owned which was the second replacement pair had about 1/8" slop in focus knob I just couldn't risk what happened with the very first pair, they seized up while on a hunting trip. I bought a pair of German made Minox and the mechanical build is at least 2x that of the ZR, I know even though the Minox is only maybe 2% behind the ZR in glass quality (we do not know long term yet for sure on the glass, coating life etc.)I won't have to worry about a failure in the field. I will never knowingly buy anything from China I really need to depend on. I will say ZR customer service was great, as the fact is they did indeed have a lot of problems early on with the focus knobs, this is easily verifiable. Like I said *I really wish I could have bought a 90% alpha for $400.00!* It didn't work for me.

That sucks you had a bad experience with em bud, I've heard of a few guys on here with issues but that's it. Nowhere else and nobody I know who has em. Sounds like you're happy with what you've got now though so that's cool, that's what it's all about being happy with your glass :)

~Z~

wow, didn't realize this thread is still alive. I bought mine 3 months ago and couldn't be more happier. I had a chance to compare to Razor and Talon in the field last month. The finish-wise and optically, it's closer to Razor. The Talon is also very nice binoculars. But it needs more fiddling to get the sharp focus. The deal breaker was the eye-relief of Talon is too short with the eyecups taking all the available space.

The new ZR prime binos will be out soon and i think these will be the best optics for the money hands down. the ed2s and 3s have a little bit of edge to edge clarity concers and the prime is supposed to be the glass to correct this. ZR's are as bright or brighter than any optics ive compared them to including Swaros. these will be in the 700.00 range and are supposed to be out in march. Ill let you know.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-12 AT 07:26PM (MST)[p]Hmmmm won't let me post a link...I'm holding out for the primes though!! Can't frickin wait!!

~Z~

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom