Zions Sheep ready to crash

Trammer

Last week I spent 5 days scouting the Zion Sheep unit. What an amazing unit it is! The troubling part of the trip came one evening when I was on a city street in Hilldale/ColoradoCity. I glassed up 4 rams on the talus slope next to town.As I watched the rams they were interested in something in town. I drove a couple of blocks and found what their attention was on: a paddock of domestic sheep.I dont know how many domestics are in or around Hilldale but when I got home, I used google earth and determined that the 4 wild rams were about 700 yards from the domestics.

Hopefully you will help a few of the hunters take out a few of those rams this fall.

There's always next year

Now that's great news. Not only did I not draw, but when I do there will be no sheep left!
Thanks for making my day Trammer!

I just drew a domestic sheep tag for that area. My tag allows me to harvest up to 1347 domestic sheep. I know there were a few other tags issued so between me and the other hunters we should be able to rectify the situation and preserve our wild desert sheep in that unit! ha
Zeke

Trammer,

Did you happen to spend any time on the Kaiparowits West unit while you were down that way?

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Trammer,
I've worried about that for the last 3 years. From what I've seen for the last 3 years more and more wild sheep are starting to hangout near Hildale/CC. Those domestics aren't enclosed well enough to keep the desert sheep out. Its not if, its just a matter of when!

I was in Zions for a second 4 day trip last week and found more domestics on the outskirts of town. This second group was only 380 yards from where the wild sheep had been 2 weeks ago. This group had a good fence around them but it appeared that there was not a second fence to prevent the wild sheep from contacting the domestics threw the fence.I did contact the Biologist for the unit.

>I did contact the
>Biologist for the unit.

Good job! A die-off on that unit would be and absolute shame. It really is to bad how fragile wild sheep are.

Ouch, I'm at 20 pts and finally getting in the ballpark to get a tag and some disease will wipe them out.

Hopefully the DWR is looking into this and are proactive on protecting this unit. Worse case, even to the point of culling the sheep if needed. better to lose a few than 200.

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

I surely have room in my freezer for some domestic lamb.

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom