Zone 80 for Antelope.

muzzy125

Do any of you have any opinions on Zone 180 for trophy Antelope??? We are looking at trying to draw a tag here for next Fall and wondering how this zone is.We are looking for 80" plus bucks.

Any info would be great.

Jeff

I'm not sure what your Antelope experience is but an 80 inch goat is a biggun ! about like a 350 bull. Even in Wyomings best units like 60 and 61 an 80 incher takes some time and luck. 80 is a good unit and produces some nice bucks but you'll need to pass up a bunch of smaller bucks and be very lucky to get a crack at an 80 incher. It also has a lot of private land. You'll probably need 2 preference points to draw in the regular draw or you could draw with 0 points in the special draw. GOOD LUCK. Chip

muzzy125,

WHAT IS ZONE 80? There is no unit 180 like you stated in text, so hope that you are refering to Unit 80.

Brian

IMO crappy area for trophy goats. Eastmans rates it bluechip. My daughter had that tag last year and we hunted hard....I mean we covered pretty much every square mile of that whole unit. Glassed until our eyes fell out and we didn't see anything that would have went 70". One thing is for sure we saw goats coming home that were laying next to the highway that shamed anything that 80 had. Don't waste your points.

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Put my boys in for this hunt. They have max points so I am hopeful they draw. We are interested in just seeing a few animals. If they are successful in the draw I might hit you guys up for a little info about the area. Good luck in the draw.

Good Luck on the Draw!
Figure You-All get a look at some of the country in Lope 80 you'll be wishing for a couple more tags for a couple different beasts, also!

Rump

Interesting comments on unit 80...the unit holds several antelope that are over 80 inches and a few that are 85 plus. There is a lot of private land but there are not that many tags so you can get access if you work at it. The area right around the Montana boarder has soem really good goats, the only problem is when the get shot at they will run into Montana. A nice goat is easy in this unit a 80" trophy will take some work. They are rutting pretty hard so you should see alot of animals. Not as many in the areas to the south but not bad. Also much of the area does not look like typical goat country but they are there ( even up by heart mountain and there is plenty of plubic ground there) if you draw get back to me I will help you out.

>Interesting comments on unit 80...the unit
>holds several antelope that are
>over 80 inches and a
>few that are 85 plus.
>There is a lot of
>private land but there are
>not that many tags so
>you can get access if
>you work at it. The
>area right around the Montana
>boarder has soem really good
>goats, the only problem is
>when the get shot at
>they will run into Montana.
>A nice goat is easy
>in this unit a 80"
>trophy will take some work.
>They are rutting pretty hard
>so you should see alot
>of animals. Not as many
>in the areas to the
>south but not bad. Also
>much of the area does
>not look like typical goat
>country but they are there
>( even up by heart
>mountain and there is plenty
>of plubic ground there) if
>you draw get back to
>me I will help you
>out.

I don't know if it was the lack of rain or what but we hunted our butts off for 5-6 Days and didn't see anything close to 80". We covered pretty much the whole unit, private, public, Montana border. Guys take this man's advice if you draw and get a hold of him, because I sure didn't find them. What do ya think Scott did we cover the country?

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Quote By: HIKER

IMO crappy area for trophy goats. Eastman?s rates it blue-chip. My daughter had that tag last year and we hunted hard....I mean we covered pretty much every square mile of that whole unit. Glassed until our eyes fell out and we didn't see anything that would have went 70". One thing is for sure we saw goats coming home that were laying next to the highway that shamed anything that 80 had. Don't waste your points.

Hiker and I hunted the unit hard in 2008 for a total of 6 days. Two trips the opening of the season and the tail end of the season we hunted on private land and public and I would not recommend burning any points on this unit.

We covered the unit in great detail on the public side. Up early in the morning darkness and back in camp well after dark. We hunted Heart Mountain, Two Dot, Badger Basin, Elk Basin, Sand Coulee and a few other areas. Then we hunted on a bunch of private ranches in Powell, Clark, and up on the Montana border.

On the Private end of things we hunted several ranches in different towns including two large ranches along the Montana border and was not impressed with the antelope we saw.

I know a few ranchers in this unit and even spent a full day with one of them, taking us around land locked public lands as he could get us access through the private ranches as he knew the ranchers who owned most of the land locked public we seeking access too.

In all we hunted our hearts out in this unit for what was touted as a great unit by the Eastman?s was a big disappointment.

In fact on the two trips up to and back from Cody we saw a few antelope along the side of the road in Kaycee, Midwest and Casper that were no brainier shooters. The 6 days we spent in 80 we saw one antelope that was a reasonable shooter on the last day.

Between Hiker and I we have taken over 30 antelope and this by far a disappointing hunt. Maybe it was because of the severe drought they experienced in 2008 but I would not recommend burning points in this unit.

If you do however decide to hunt it I can be of assistance.

Before you put in for it contact the Game Wardens for the area

Chris Queens you will find to be extremely helpful.

Craig Sax 307-587-4304 Cody

Tim Fagan 307-587-3886 Cody

Chris Queens 307-754-5290 Powell

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote by: Hiker

Guys take this man's advice if you draw and get a hold of him, because I sure didn't find them.

+1 on that

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Thanks for the info guys. For me it is more of a timing thing. The Sept. 1 opening makes it possible to get a hunt in before the boys have to start school. We would be happy to see a few and put a tag on a couple of 13 inchers.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-09 AT 00:58AM (MST)[p]Posted By:Sirzonkalot

Thanks for the info guys. For me it is more of a timing thing. The Sept. 1 opening makes it possible to get a hunt in before the boys have to start school. We would be happy to see a few and put a tag on a couple of 13 inchers.

That is the huge draw for many with kids the early dates of the season.

A 13 incher would not be much of a problem,you see plenty of antelope.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Boys ended up drawing WY antelope unit 80. We are planning on hunting the opener Sept 1-5 and home for the start of school. The plan is to camp and hunt close by. We will be without ATV's and will be hunting on foot. Just ordered a few maps and interested in any info you guys are willing to share. General areas? Camping spots? Places to check out? Probably more interested in numbers more than giants.

Thanks

Tony Helfrich
[email protected]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom