120 Grain Nolser Ballistic Tips for the 280 Ackley Improved.

Redside

Have been working up a load for my .280 Ackley, using the 120 grain ballistic tips from Nolser. Been using 63.0 grns of Reloader 19 with CCI 200 primers. My shot to shot variation has been very small with a average velocity of 3335, shooting 3 shot groups. Accuracy has been excellent to say the least, with nothing over half inch groups at 100 yards. They say these bullets were made for large rifle and long range silhouette shooting, heavily constructed to knock down the heavy targets at long ranges. Seems they would be a perfect combination for a Southeastern Oregon mule deer hunt I have been waiting years to hunt. Anyone else use them, and how did they perform on game?

I'd go with at least 140 gr bullets if it were me in 7mm caliber. I'm not sure those are intended for hunting use, I'd call mike at Nosler and see.

i have heard the same thing, that the 120 BT's are a lil tougher. after shooting my first and second bucks with 125 BT's from a 30-06, i will be staying with my accubonds for everything.
Casey

My experience with BTs on game has been piss poor. Very unreliable. I wouldn't go anywhere near them. Even the Nosler manual says don't use them with a MZ over 3100 fps. Have heard nothing regarding silhouette application, but you could call nosler.

I've done a great deal of shooting with the Ballistic Tips in 125 grain for my 30-06 and 300win mag. I've had nothing but amazing results when shooting antelope. Mule deer with the same load was nothing less than terrible. For mule deer I've moved to 150gr partitions, and now the deer go down instead of leading me on 2 and 3 day searches, w/o a recovery. The accuracy of the BT's has been excellent for me, but like was stated earlier, they aren't that good on game.

I shoot the 120BT in my STW and they explode like crazy. I like that actually for this load. They are not built for long range target shooting, and have the same construction as any other BT. I have used them in six different calibers in all different weights. The largest animal I would use them on is a small (150lb) to meduim (175lb) deer. For deer with the heavier weights I think they work fine. They expand too much for me so I don't use them anymore. I would go with a 140PT or other solid built bullet.

Just got a email from the folks at Nosler concerning the use of the 7mm Ballistic tip in a 120 grain bullet. Here is what they said. The 7mm 120gr Ballistic Tip does have a more substantial jacket. That bullet is basically a 140gr BT with the jacket trimmed down. This selection is perfect for deer, antelope and other light skinned game.
Regards,
Nosler, Inc.
I really think it's not so much the bullet but rather where you put the bullet. I really like the way they shoot and look foward to using them this hunting season. Jeff

The BC on a 120 .284 bullet sucks, I'd go with 140's if it were me even if the bullet would hold together. I've lived in eastern Oregon my whole life, you say you've waited for years, do you have private land lined up? the SE Oregon deer herds are in BAD shape. unless you have a game plan you need to do your homework or your choice of bullet will be the least of your problems. I might be able to give you a little advice if you let me know what you have in mind, unless you've got it handled already.

These boy's are right.
BT's are always soft. I'd go heavy for the caliber.

Why not get some 140 gr. Accubond's and be done with it??

It would probably be wise to take the advice of the guys that have used them. The Accubond should shoot as well or better, and is better suited for what you are hunting. mtmuley

The "book" says that that is too light a bullet for caliber. Sometimes, though, things work for you and you have to go with it. The deer will probably never know the difference.

I agree with warren, the deer will probably not know the difference if a 120gr NBT hit it or a 140gr accubond. the accubond has a higher BC, but that does not always mean that it will shoot better, it is highly dependant on the rifle your shooting. I have shot 5 mule deer and 3 elk with the NBT and never had a problem with them. They do the job very well. If i were to recommend a bonded bullet, i would go with the Swift Scirroco over an accubond.

I've killed many deer with a 55gr BT out of .223 with a single shot to either neck, head, or body. So does that mean it is a great deer bullet? NO WAY it works but not the best choice for a hunt where you want the deer dead/down in a short distance. The larger caliber BT have thicker jackets then the varmint caliber BT's but they expand way too much for my liking.

Bottom Line, IMO.

The .280 Remington, and most certainly, the .280
Remington Ak Imp.......

Were MADE for 140 grain bullets. The .280 and 140 gr.
go togther like eggs and bacon. Like pancakes and syrup.

If you shoot a .280.........you should be shooting a 140
grain bullet. Period.

What a combination!!!! Pick and chose the bullets you like.

fyi
lrv

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom