12a west (1014)

x2! I booked with Duwane this year as well.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

Thanks for the pointers guys,but hireing a guide isn't in my hunting budget. I have 10 availible days for the hunt, but i can send my dad out early to scout. Are there any decent areas that i should have him start checking? Would bringing a horse help in any way?

have you thought about getting a map service? What this entails is Duwane will outline some areas that have been productive(on a map) he sends notes and the map which the gas savings alone can be worth it...............520-385-4995......... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I did the map service last year and I'm telling you it's not worth it. I couldn't afford him last year so I tryied the map service and was sadly disappointed in what he sent me. You won't see his hunters where he sends you.

If your paying a bunch of money(thousands) to be guided would like it if you got the same type of service for a map.The Conversation would go something like this: Who that guy over there well that a guy I sold a map to he will be hunting all the same places I'm going to be taking you too. LOL

The top 10-15 places will be for his hunters(paying clients) and the next ten will be for his map service (clients) But they are good spots(big deer have been taken there) to start your scouting/hunt. What you was thinking for a few dollars you was going to get the all the Honeyhole spots and his paying hunters was going to hunt the leftovers.

I don't know Duwane, But I did talk to him once about 6-7 years ago and he struck me as a stand up guy.
Hope you all have great hunts.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>I did the map service last
>year and I'm telling you
>it's not worth it. I
>couldn't afford him last year
>so I tryied the map
>service and was sadly disappointed
>in what he sent me.
>You won't see his hunters
>where he sends you.

I know for a FACT that this is simply not true.

I have a good friend that drew a Kaibab tag and purchased his map service several years ago. I was with him and have been in Duwanes camp in later years. He puts you where you can be successful, period. That is, same spots that he hunts as well. With scenarios for weather, different weather calls for different spots. The Kaibab is a HUGE place. Having a starting point is smart in my book.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

This is the difference between expectations and reality. Gator hit it on the head. In any map service from any outfitter, you will not be placed in the spots he will be hunting. The map service is simply a way for you to drastically reduce your scouting time. In addition to this, you will have a general idea of where in the unit deer have been killed. The 12AW area is huge and to just get a feel for it will take a whole weekend. After that, you wouldnt have a clue where the deer will be based on weather. I think a few phone calls and the map service is money well spent. I did it 6 years ago for unit 23.............. Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Wow, you guys get your feathers ruffled pretty easy. I've talked with Duwane many times , love his videos and talking with him. I teamed up with some local hunters,without revealing my map, and they showed my the smae areas to hunt and more. I'm just saying these are not secret or even special hunting areas. I guess I am guilty of expecting a little more.

"I'm just saying these are not secret or even special hunting areas. I guess I am guilty of expecting a little more."

gcox98 is that really what you thought you where going to get?

If the local hunters knew about and where hunting the same areas that where indicated on the map i would say Duwane provided exactly what the service is supposed to.

I have never used the service but i believe it's supposed to be a starting point not cordinates to the big bucks.It's up to you to go from there.

I would mostly concur with gcox on this one. I purchased the map service from Mr. Adams several years ago and for me, it was definately not worth the money. It provided only very general starting points along with where you can find services (gas, water, etc.).

So if you've never hunted or spent any time in the unit, there is clearly some value to this especially if you can substitute this for one scouting trip. But if you're even basically familiar with the unit and think you're getting some special advice from an Outfitter without paying full freight, you're very likely to be disappointed.

What no GPS coordinates to a cedar with a 180 buck tied to it? What kind of service is that?

When I ask for information about a unit in which I have never been, I want to know a good place to camp within driving distance of places that have historically produced good animals. Turn me loose with Google Earth and broke-in boots after that.

mazanamangler - If you look around the net, you should be able to find some starting points. I've never set foot in 12AW, but I would be looking for big game guzzlers and tanks on Google earth, then look for the bedding areas and feeding canyons around them. Maybe Allen will turn you on to a good campsite.

Have to concur on this one as well. Buddy got the map service 3 years ago. Paid $400 plus dollars to Duwane, He sent a couple of photo copies of a map up there with a 5 day hunt strategy. he circled the areas for each place to hunt. The areas ended up being really general. Like look on monstermuleys and ask for help and you get the same general areas from people. No info on gas stations, hotels, nothing, just 3 9 X11 photocopies of the map, with an area circled for each day. Sure if he was charging 50 bucks maybe, but $400 and then to say, if you have any questions, it will be pretty much impossible to get hold of us cause we are hunting. To say, the least left a bad taste in my buddies mouth. Just my opinion, but what I saw was worth maybe $50 bucks. Sounds like his guide service is the real deal, but his map service isn't.

T

hey now, i didn't ask for the coordinates, but shy from driving over there i wore out the kaibab search engine. i got a usfs map, it has some tanks, springs and ponds listed. sounds like i can camp just about anywhere, but advice is always much appreciated. as for showers and gas does anybody have suggestions?

as always thanks

Always gas at Jacob Lake. Not sure about the showers. Maybe try the Jacob Lake Inn to see if they have any available to hunters.

Outdoorsmans Resource guide has some good stuff in it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

The top secret water hole map is worth the money. I think you get it now from a lake powel web site.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom