13B Rifle Deer

W

Whitegoat

Hi everyone,
I recently drew a 13B tag finally after 12 years of waiting! I have done some research and called a few outfitters, I've decided that I cannot afford to hire a guide. As like most people the economy has me at bay just a bit. I plan to hunt the entire 10 days if need be and am also going to get up there 4-5days in advance. I'm also going make a few scouting trips. Has anyone who has been up there could offer me some advise I would be greatly appricitve of your help. Is such a vast area I would like to just get in the ballpark of some areas that hold deer. I know allot of it is luck and hard work which I'm going to work my ass off the only problem is time is not on my side. Any pearls of wisdom or advise I'm all ears.
Thanks

Hello,

With that tag I would seriously consider getting a guide. There are a lot of guides that will just charge you for the guide service. You do your own camp and food, it will save you some money. I am in a similair situation this year as far as the economy goes, I think most people are. I was drawn for one of the best antelope tags in the state this year and I was not going to hire a guide, but I changed my mind as I may never have another antelope tag. I started doing the math on how much it would cost for me to make scouting trips and really hiring a guide was the way to go. Those scouting trips add up real fast. Just something for you to consider as that is the best tag in the state. I have never been to the unit so I cannot help you there.

azhuntin is right. You're more than likely going to spend the same amount of money if not more if you go DIY. I wouldn't take the chance. That tag is more a less a once in a lifetime tag. That's just my humble opinion. Besides there isn't a whole lot of people who know very much about 13b. And the one who do know it aren't going to tell you a whole lot because they make a living hunting those deer. Don't get your feelings hurt if the only advise you get is "Get up early, hunt hard and stay late."

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

Congrats on a great tag, I keep trying but no luck! I have never been there but i can give you the canned advice, water and elevation. Study your maps for water sources and find mountains, ridges or knolls, closest to the water and climb up and just start glassing all over as far as you can see. Take your maps on your scouting trips and check the water for deer sign and take notes which sources have the most sign. You might consider a week long scouting trip right before the hunt instead of making a couple trips up between now and then. It is about a 10 hour drive from Phoenix each way, don't know where you are coming from but that gives you an idea that a weekend fly up and back won't be very easy or give you much time to glass.
P.S. If you find a water source with 8 trail cameras on it, I would consider finding some elevation nearby and start glassing!:)
Hope you find a big one and post some pics with a story!
BB

Thanks for the advice everyone, although hiring a guide is ultimately what I would prefer to do, with talking to about 7 different ones it's still going to cost me about 4000ish for just guided depending on what outfit it's between 4-8000. I already have everything gas cans,tires, camp trailer, cameras. there is no way it's going to be that much in fuel and food. I really wish I had the extra cash it sucks but that's life.

Goat,
I sent you a PM with a small piece of help I would do if I had the tag. Also, if you truly want to get a starting point you might ask the guides if they offer a map service for 13B. I read mixed reviews from people that have chosen that route but I know my truck would suck up $300+ in gas for one trip to scout so maybe the $400 for basic areas to start at might be worth it for you. I'm sure you know who the guides are, check them out for map service and Good luck.
Just sayin', that might be an option for you if you don't get many offers for help.
BB

Where do you live? I'm in Flagstaff. I'm no expert on 13B but I have hunted it 3 times in the last 16 years and spent a total of about 65 days scouting and hunting. I'd be happy to go over maps with you.

Hey Goat,
I'm in the same boat. Been waiting 11 years w/o a tag to finally get drawn. I'm completely in the dark with the unit and have talked to a couple guides also. I'm going to scout it next couple weeks to see what I'm getting into before the outfitters all book up if that's the route I choose. Maybe we can collaborate efforts and help each other out.
Ill pm you.

Guys;

I am trying very hard to keep out of this, but if you need help, and can't afford a guide, call me I can help you.

I will have a camp at Poverty corner, during the 13B archery hunt, from august 18th, thru Sept. 13th, call me or stop by camp, you will like it, I guarantee it.

Steve Cheuvront

602-373-8637

Anyone have a line on outfitters who do map services or something of that nature? Not partially or fully guided. I don't know if this even exists.

Guys;

O.K. now.

This is the cold hard truth.

YOU, put in for a 13B, deer tag, right?

Now you have it and don't know what to do, right.

This happens like clockwork, every year, this is an old story.

I have a 13B deer tag, rifle/ archery, I've never been there or have very little new information, right?

Now , you come on MM and ask for help.

People give you the best most honest advise they can, which is, hire a guide.

Well the answer back is, I'm just a regular guy, times are hard, and I don't have $3,000.00 to 10,000.00 to hire a guide.

I am sure that is absolutely true.

Answer, THEN WHY THE HE!! DID YOU PUT IN FOR THE TAG IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!

ok, now I've had my little rant.

People have already told you it will cost, probably 2-3,000.00
dollars to do a half a$$ed attempt at scouting, before the season.

Even then, you won't know where to really go, believe me.

a week before the season opens, people are driving all the roads, putting up trail cameras, spot lighting all, I mean, all night long.

Funny thing, the mule deer, somehow notice this.

They go nocturnal, quick.

That means that deer you been watching all summer, just vanishes.

Well he didn't vanish, but you, as a rookie, don't know how to find him, and if by chance you do find him, you will be unable to close the deal, meaning, get him killed,

This happens every stinking year.

Short answer, get a damn guide, even if you have to borrow, or steal the money, or sell your bass boat.

This is a once, maaaayyyybe a twice in a lifetime tag, don't be stupid, make it count, or go home empty handed, with the story that something at the last minute kept you from harvesting a monster, when in reality, you never saw a buck, that would bust the 180 mark.

Call the guides, make a deal, which they do every year, and go and have a great time, and come home with a deer , you will always be proud of.

Or just sit there and whine, poor me poor me

I don't want to here it any more.

I ,and the rest of the people up there, have EARNED our knowledge, and I will guarantee you, NO, body will give that 10 years of sweat, flat tires, money spent, time away from work and family, for nothing but a sad story, believe me.

the end

I' ve changed my mind, don't call me, call a licensed guide, thats what they do to feed their familys.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-10 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]>
>Guys;
>
>I' ve changed my mind, don't
>call me, call a licensed
>guide, thats what they do
>to feed their familys.
>
>Steve

You know, there are some people who don't have to kill a B&C deer to brag about their hunt and they deserve the chance to hunt the strip too. Believe it or not, some guys would rather be HUNTERS than just SHOOTERS who pull the trigger on an animal they were led to. It's not the exclusive club you make it out to be.

There are many guys who have hunted there who are more than willing to help other hunters PRECISELY because they know they will probably never get another tag so it's no skin off their nose to tell another lucky hunter what they know. Yeah, it may not be as much as the guy who spends every year up there, but many REAL hunters who are not just rich shooters would rather do the work themselves, partly for the satisfaction it brings.

Guides have their place and so do hunters.

Bruce

Steve,

How do you start a post offering help and then flip flop at the end?

Bruce is right a guide is not right for everyone, there are a lot of DIY hunters out there that do very well. And just because they cannot afford a guide you should not belittle them.

So everyone out there listen- If you cannot afford a guide- Do not apply for the strip. That is reserved for people with money. That is ridiculous

Whatever happened to Good people helping each other out?

If your not willing to help out just -shut up

Azhuntin,

I have, every year, and will in the future, help anybody that asks for my help.

If you want to twist my words, or meaning, go ahead.

I know who I am, as well as the at least 20 plus people who I have helped get a deer, for free, over the years.

Plenty of people go to the strip, and all over the state, every year, not knowing the first thing about the unit they will be hunting, and find out what they need, scout, and do very well each and every year.

You backed up yet???

Or do you want to play this debate game some more.

Either way, I ready to play, just blow the whistle, and I will kick off.

Steve

602-373-8637 cell

480-994-4029 home

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bruce,

I'm glad other people on this website actually realize what hunting is about.

Steve,
Here is my answer to why I put in for this unit...because the state of Arizona, which I reside in, only has two places that holds a large number of mature mule deer compared to anything south of the grand canyon. Ya you can kill big bucks in 10 or down south but the probability is very low compared to the strip or kaibab, and I want the opportunity to "HUNT" not "shoot" on some of the county that hold gigantic mule deer. That's my answer to your"answer".

Now do guides hunt deer better than most, ABSOLUTELY. Those guys do tremendous amount of work to enable the clients to harvest trophy animals. In my opinion the guide is the hunter.

I've never met you, you don't know me but I'm a ROOKIE? Tell that to the 4 bulls over 345 one being 386 that fell to a rookie. Or the 3 coues deer over 105. I guess beginners luck lasts for 15-16 years? Not to mention the dozens of other animals that I've help friends and family hunt. If I want to shoot huge animals I'll pay a game or private ranch in CO to shoot them. I'm here to chase free range mule deer and the biggest ones in the state not to mention probably the world.

I respect your advise to hunting that part of the state, but don't disrespect me I didn't disrespect you. Don't insult my hunting ability. How come you are always a topic of discussion on here you had no intentions of helping me or anyone else. I recently read a post about your opinion of top guides If I do hire a guide I'm not going to use them. Chad Smith has an excellent track record but if your associated with him I'm defiantly not going to consider him, even if he's the nicest guy in the world with the biggest deer of all found and is going to charge me 500 dollars.You're hurting these hard working peoples reps by getting on here posting absurd stuff, and then saying hire this or that guy.

JB

Goat, This is what I would do and what I did 2 years ago when I had a 13a rifle tag. Now I will say first that I am a guide and know a few others that were willing to help with general info on the unit. Until i drew the tag I had VERY little experience in the unit. Most of my time was spent in 13b. I was given GENERAL info on the unit roads some waters and general densities of deer. (You can get all that info from the WM in the unit) I went up, by myself no team of guys, 1 week before the hunt and scouted my a$$ off dang near 24/7. I ended my hunt on day five with an awesome buck.(See 13a pics thread for a pic) I ended up killing him nowhere near any of the info I was given before the hunt. During the hunt I saw 36 bucks that would break 170 and 2 over 200". I killed one and the other was killed while I was hunting him by a road hunter. The strip is a BIG place but do your homework, scout incredibly hard and hunt harder and you will be rewarded no matter what the outcome. It can be done! I'm proof of that! Good luck!!!!!!

Eric

I am going back to 13a this sat as I have an archery tag this year!! Please don't hate me I'm just as shocked as anyone that I drew. I waited 13 yrs for my first tag.

Thanks for the advice Eric, Thats awesome that you keep getting strip tags. Hope you kill another giant buck. I'm going to give it my best shot. As long as i end up in an ok area I'm going to hunt my a$$ off and find a buck that I'm proud of whatever the score may be. Thanks again for the advise and motivation.
JB

JB;

I apologize to you .

You are a rookie on the strip, as far as knowing where to go.

Is that not true?

Like I said, I have and will continue to help people find good deer, if they ask me.

You have already made up your mind about me, and thats fine with me, but if you stop by camp, I will do all I can to help you.

Steve Cheuvront

602-373-8637

Steve,

Were not going back and forth on this. Trying to or explaining your interpretaion to what you said.

Yes I am a rookie to the strip that is true, but the context of your comments inferred that I wouldn't be able to kill a deer if I found them since I was a rookie.

If you would have said your a rookie to the strip it's going to be a challenge to find deer. That's one thing, but you didn't. You attacked my ability to actually hunt.

Anyways thanks for your apology. But I'm not going to stop by your camp and risk getting my skills insulted by you. But I will honk when I drive by on my way out with a giant buck.

To everyone else,

Ive gotten enough pm's about Mr. Steve, I'll form my own opinion about him. I don't need any more. Thanks all
JB

JB

Guys;

All any man can do, is say I'm sorry that what I said offends you.

I have done that.

I have offered my help, which was rejected.

I have done all I can do.

Steve

Who wants your help when you act like a pompous mule deer god that your not. In where does a 400 word post of you saying call a guide and you can't do it blah blah blah....when you finish it off with "I've changed my mind don't call me call a guide" where in there or after do you state you will help anyone...so I'm calling bullish*t...if I was a guide I would be pissed by you taking business away from me by helping people. Oh well seems like that's the consensus anyway.

You can help some, others well there is little help.
Man Steve I can't believe that you pulled the rug out from under them.Keep those big bucks alive until I can draw. But Your camp would be the first place I would stopped and then I would bug your truck with a GPS tracking device.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Gator;

You wouldn't have to put a GPS on my truck, you could go with me IN the truck.

I would be glad to help you, or any one else thats needs help.

Doing that, I get the most out of the deal. Youre happy, and I am even happier.

But, remember, I am the selfish, self proclaimed, DEER GOD,
so remember if you come by, you must first kiss my ring, and address me as sir steve, the all knowing and all important,

etc. etc. , etc,.

Ain't these guys a hoot, I swear.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-10 AT 02:16PM (MST)[p]

Steve, i don't know you but you seem like a nice enough guy. I enjoy the pics and the strip stories.
I think its comments like #10 on this thread that make some individuals dislike you. Or dislike what you write, i should say. No sweat off my back, just an opinion. But we all know what they say about opinions...
If i ever draw a strip tag i would seriously consider a guide or a map service but you can't talk down to guys that want to try it on there own.

Keep posting those pics!

and yes, i saw you apologized. Soon this post will be at the bottom and all forgotten!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-10 AT 04:48PM (MST)[p]Wheew... I need a cigarette after reading that pissing contest. I think I'll use the green tobacco for this cigarette. That was good thread. Even God likes a good fight.

Good luck to ya Whitegoat and be safe.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

The last couple days of the season you will have a ton of people coming by and asking for help. The truth of how hard it is to hunt that area will be dragging on them.The mental part of hunting this area is the hard part to get ready for.
Good luck to all just remember you wouldn't see alot of deer but the next one you see, MIGHT just be a monster.

Bates7;

What fight?

I just let them win.

I'M just a blowheart coward, hadn't you heard?

I truley wish them well, and am sure they will have a hard hunt, but will enjoy the experience, for a lifetime.

Steve

Steve you're so full of bulls**t I can smell you all the way down here in Tempe.

Keep up the good work Steve.

I'm not the nicest guy around and my closest friends will vouch for that. In my younger days I was so arrogant and pompous that I even contested God at one point. He took care of that issue in a timely fashion by letting my best friend and I live after I rolled my pickup down into a canyon after a night of partying in Greer. We were on our way back home to Big Lake where we were both "Boatboys" at the Big Lake Store. One of the many things that I've learnt in life is that we are all human beings with emotions that flair up in a second.

I hope that you and whitegoat can forgive one another. I have never witnessed this much passion on a subject except in the Bible.

By the way the "Green Tobacco" that I mentioned before was a euphemism. I'm not a pot head.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

"By the way the "Green Tobacco" that I mentioned before was a euphemism. I'm not a pot head."

We've already got your test set up..... Terry

Guys;

There are lots of really big bucks avaliable up in 13B.

I am home for 2 days to take care of my wife and stuff , and then back for the hunt until Sept 16th.

Most every body has taken or seen a really big buck!

It's not easy, by any streach of the imiganation, believe me, but hard work, little sleep, many miles driven, and good common sence, and being able to rethink the sitution, and addapt, is the real answer, for me, at least.

Don't give up, keep hitting it, and after the hunt, I will tell a small story.

Oh yea, there are Mt. Lions every where, and on almost every trail cam, I have.

I even have a Russian Boar on one of the trail cams.

Steve

steve. u said some harsh words and then gave an honest apology. that is always "good people" in my books.

people like whitegrudge will always be miserable in life. i always notice that people with no forgiveness have the hardest time in life.

hey whit, seriously dude grudges are unhealthy. itw ok to said alright let by gones be by gones and move forward. it always makes me feel better

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Whitegoat;

If you got a buck, put up some pictures, if you are still hunting, come by the camp at poverty, and take a free shower.

I could use some help, myself.

Maybe we could help each other, what do ya say?

It's only getting better, as each day passes. Way less moonlight, alot less prople, most areas are wide open, and it's still very hot. Remember, water is a premium!

Good luck, hunt hard, and most of all, have a good time.

I will be there until the 16th of September.

Steve

I believe most of those hogs originated from escapees from a hunting preserve in Mesquite, NV that existed in the 1980s. At first, they stayed mostly around the Virgin River area. Sounds like they have expanded their territory.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Tony;

There are a few to be found in the western most part of 13B, near the Nevada Border.

This porker was in the middle of the unit!

I'll send some picks, when I get back to town, after the 16th of september.

Steve ( mom )

It doesn't surprise me. They can go a long way over 20+ years.

BTW, the name of the game preserve was the Arvada Game Ranch. The guy that owned it was the mayor of Mesquite at the time. I went there to hunt pheasants and chukars twice. On the 2nd trip, I wound up trading a M19 S&W for a shorthair pup, who was my companion for 11 years. Ginger developed pancreatic cancer, so I had her put down,

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

So the porker can be shot right he's not a game animal for AZ is he.

Whitegoat,
Hope you have a great hunt. Hope you get a monster buck but whatever happens doing it your way and enjoying everything about it is what it's all about.

Whitegoat;

I agree, good luck on your up coming hunt, I made a mistake, thinking you were up hunting during the archery season, sorry.

If you need so help, please let me know. I know you don't care for me much, but the offer still goes.

Steve Cheuvront

cell--602-373-8637

hm----480-994-4029

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom