17 Rem?

hunterjmj

Do you guys know who manufactures the 17 rem besides Remington? Just looking for some different choices, but it looks like the choice is slim.

Jer

well savage makes a 17 as well as marlin and i think winchester is comin out with there version of the 17 HMR. They are sweet guns and shoot as flat as any gun i have seen or owned. my bros have them and swear by them.

BBH

I believe he is talking about the .17 rem, not .17 HMR.

Remington makes it in the BDL700 and now makes it in the vsl (?) version as well. Tikka makes one in a heavy barrel confirguration called the Continental. You can get a Contender/Encore barrel in 17 rem too. Other then that, you can have one built off any short action. I am having a .17 Mach IV built and should have it back shortly. That is a .221 fireball necked down to a .17 cal...very efficent cartridge.

Take care

Yup I was looking for a 17 rem. centerfire and I found one in the 700bdl VS heavy 26" barrel. Should be here within the week. I had to order it from an outfit in Texas, not an easy find. Can't wait. I looked all over for the tikka and couldn't find one. Called a "Pro Shop" and they said tikka never made a 17???
But I think I'll like this little setup.. I also stumbled on an outfit that makes a 19 cal. The price range was starting to get out of my league though. Thanks for the replys!

Jer

Jer,

If you need some starting load data email me at [email protected] if you want. Are you going to hunt coyotes with it?

Yup there are .19 cal and some pretty interesting .20 cals as well.

Have fun!

gdog,

Actually, I have never reloaded... I'm going to start though for this gun. Yup, I bought it for coyotes. I've done lots of reading on what to get for yoters as far as fur friendliness goes. I've heard all kinds of pros and cons of this rifle, but I just wanted to try it out for myself. It seems that people that have them live by them. I'll send you an e-mail. Thanks!!

Jer

Just went and picked up my rifle from the ffl today!!! Man is it a nice rifle, now I just have to throw a scope on it and kill some yoters..

Jer

Jer, I have taken many coyotes with the 17rem. I have owned sako and rem 17's. Both shot well, make sure you keep them clean. The only issue I had with this caliber was alot of the dogs I shot ran 100yds+ before they went down. The best way to find them is to follow the path they ran. Usually they went in a straight line. As far as pelt damage it was by far the best caliber I ever used.
Rick

It's not the Gun for windy days you will want to go up to a bigger caliber like a 6mm or 243 or the smashmouth of all coyotes guns the 220 swift.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom