Draw question

Rsully661

As I understand the first two passes are random? Why two passes? When someone draws a random is it typically one choice over the other that the random hits, like first choice over second? How long to find out who drew what if I applied for me and my two daughters? I’m hoping it’s my youngest will be her first big game besides pigs.

Technically the first pass is bonus pass so 20% of tags go to top point holders. Then the second pass is the pass that looks at 1st and 2nd choice equally. If first choice is available then you will draw first choice, if not and second choice is available it will give you 2nd choice. If neither are available you aren't drawn unless you did a 3rd,4th, 5th choice (3rd pass) and any tag available in that pass is pretty much worthless. There is no way to know which choice you drew until results come out. Results "should" post next week sometime.

Only other way you can somewhat know is if you put in a kid for a youth tag and can see a $50 charge then you know the youth tag was drawn. If all $135 charges then just have to wait.

You absolutely must turn that tag back in, if you don’t understand the first round is the bonus pass, and the second round is the random pass. 😂

You absolutely must turn that tag back in, if you don’t understand the first round is the bonus pass, and the second round is the random pass. 😂
Lol, you definitely win douche of the day award. I do apologize for not knowing the intricacies of every draw in the west.

Everyone says the second is random, but if you dig into it the guys drawing are still top point holders.

Everyone says the second is random, but if you dig into it the guys drawing are still top point holders.
Well that's because it is random. I have never seen a hunt where more guys with top points draw more tags than guys with low points in the random pass. Individually a top point holder has better odds but there are hundreds more people with low points applying so naturally more of those people draw a tag.

Yes but when someone draws random is it more likely to be a first choice or second? Or is there really no rhyme or reason and that’s how it’s set up.

Yes but when someone draws random is it more likely to be a first choice or second? Or is there really no rhyme or reason and that’s how it’s set up.
Reread longranger’s post. The 1-2 pass depends on your assigned number. If your the absolute lowest assigned number, you’ll probably get 1st pick. Further down the list, probably 2nd. The method is in place, you just won’t know till you see your result or tag number.

It all depends on what your choices are . at the end of the day you are assigned a number and then you get to choose. If you have a low number you have better odds to get a tag. If you have a high number and hard to draw units you may get passed by.

it’s hard to know all the intricacies to draws but if your going to apply it’s worth it to do a YouTube search. It may give you better odds for a hunt you’re looking for.

It's a simple process. As a past member used to say, think of it like a deck of cards.

Bonus Pass, they sort by points, then sub sort by lowest random number. Apps with 1 point or more are included, and they issue 20% of the tags, "up to" 5% can go to NR. They flip the top card and try to fill it, 1st choice then 2nd choice. Then they flip the 2nd card and try to fill it. They go thru every card.

1-2 Pass, they assign new random numbers, again keeping only the lowest. They sort by that low number only, and every app is included. They flip the top card and try to fill 1st choice, then 2nd choice. and again go thru the whole deck.

Tags are numbered in the order drawn, per hunt code.

Pretty sure he was just razzin...

Anyway, Arizona GFD has a well-earned reputation for draw related issues. Don't be surprised if it takes several days for it to sort out, or if it takes weeks for your portal to update.

Good luck and kill a big 'un!

card deadline to results

2/20 - ?? 2024
3/6 - 3/15 2023
3/1 - 3/8 2022
3/12 - 3/20 2021
2/27 - 3/5 2020
2/28 - 3/8 2019
3/1 - 3/8 2018
3/16 - 4/3 2017

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom