Beware of Guided Mule Deer Hunts in Huntsville UT

Dnkies

Hello All, After about 6 months of pondering, I have decided to share my experience with a very reputable “Outfitter” that is popular on this website. I won’t mention names, but I will say the hunts I was sold were on a private ranch in Huntsville UT. This will be the condensed version because there is just too much detail and information to write.

Last year I purchased 2 mule deer buck hunts for a ranch in Huntsville UT. The hunts were for my two kids, son 20 and daughter 16. The hunts were $6250 each ($13,500) plus the tags and licenses. This is a HUGE amount of money for me, but I’m not getting any younger and I wanted to have a once in a lifetime hunt with my kids. I felt this was the only time I would do this so it was worth it.

My two kids have been going out of state with me the last 4 years with no luck. But they have always got up every morning and evening and hiked along side of me for miles. Last year I said screw it and decided to pony up what I considered big money in an effort to get on to a private ranch and into the deer and see plenty of bucks.

I did some digging and reading and settled in on a very popular and reputable outfitter. I spoke with the outfitter’s family members on multiple occasions before I purchased the hunts. I made it abundantly clear that the type of hunt I was looking for wasn’t necessarily for big bucks (170 plus) but I wanted to be able to see multiple bucks a day. I was assured we would have multiple opportunities at “160” class bucks.”

The first sign something was wrong came about two weeks before the hunt. I was texted by the guide who was scheduled to take us. He texted me a couple of pics of the bucks he had seen on the ranch. Needless to say, the pics he sent were not impressive. In fact, we have killed much more impressive coastal black tail bucks in our home state of CA. I attached the pics of the two bucks to this post. When asked the guide if we would see more mature bucks than the ones he sent me, he said “probably”.

Well to cut to the chase, the hunt ended up being a complete waste of money and nothing at all like the description I was sold. We ended up hunting about 100 acres of steep mountain terrain of a 600 or so acre ranch. Basically we rode ATVs up a quakie covered mountain to a high point where we sat over a watering hole and glassed the 100 acres or so of canyon. On the second morning, my son did end up glassing up a 20” or so 3x2 on the neighbors ranch, but hunting that buck was pretty legally sketchy. We went back out the second evening to try and glass up that buck but no luck, so we decided to end the week early. In all we saw just the one buck on the neighbors ranch probably 5 does and 5 yearlings in two days/ 2 morning and 2 evening hunts. Yes we gave up early, but to be clear, it was painfully obvious that the bucks just weren’t there and the bucks that we were supposed to be hunting were really not worth hunting. We were all very disappointed.

I whole heartedly admit that leaving after 2 morning hunts and 2 evening hunts is cutting the hunt short, but at that point we were so completely let down based on what I was told by the outfitter when I purchased the hunts, that we just wanted to end the trip. It was obvious there were definitely not going to be multiple opportunities at 160” bucks.

I will add that after the first morning hunt on opening day, our guide asked us if we were going to “stick it out” for the rest of the week. I immediately thought that was an odd question, but it was obvious from the get go that the ranch and caliber of deer was just not there. I think the guide was used to hunters giving up early on this particular hunt.

We also had the pleasure of meeting the guide’s uncle at the house where we parked our truck to go hunt. The uncle was a nice man. While we were all discussing various hunts, the uncle made it clear that the hunting on the ranch was less than spectacular in recent years and said something to the tune of “there hasn’t been good bucks up there since the 80s”. This was another knife in our gut. It’s hard to describe the feeling I had, but it was one of disappointment and also embarrassment. I could not believe I was so naive to get ripped off. I had spent the last few months hyping the hunt up to my kids and my friends. I felt stupid.

I ended up sending a very detailed email to the outfitter detailing our hunt and the disappointment we had. The outfitter called me the next day and we had a pretty heated conversation. Basically the outfitter let me know that he felt it was our fault for giving up too early. He also suggested we should have hunted the buck we saw on the neighbors property. I countered with the fact that I was told we would have opportunities at multiple bucks a day and the bucks I was supposed to be hunting were far less than the caliber of deer one would expect for a $6250 hunt. I also argued the ranch was too small to be hunting and charging $6250 a hunter. I also did not like the fact that he was pissed we didn’t want to hunt the buck on the neighbors property. He did agree that the two bucks in the pics that were sent to me by the guide were less than impressive.

In the end , I asked the outfitter to replace the hunts with a better hunt, however they opted to refund us $4000 out of $12,500 and basically said good riddance to us. That to me was a slap in my face, but better than nothing.

The moral of my story is, there are reputable “outfitters” out there that will sell you hunts that aren’t worth even a fraction of what they charge. I’m sure the outfitters have access to better hunts they sell, but they also sell bad ones like the ones I bought near Huntsville UT. If you or anyone you know are considering purchasing a guided mule deer hunt near Huntsville UT, message me first and I will provide more details . I would absolutely hate to see any other hunters or dad’s get taken like I was.

IMG_2617.jpeg

IMG_2616.jpeg

I would def want a hunt for $6250 to be on a ranch with thousands of acres. Was the hunt presented like that to you when you bought it? Were acreages mentioned? 600 acres is not sufficient to run many hunters per year through it unless it was VERY strategically located.
Looking back, this one of the questions that I missed. I was more focused on seeing bucks and having opportunities. The guide told me the ranch was 1600 acres on the morning of the hunt when we were discussing the ranch and boundaries. When I thought about the size of the area we were hunting, I had my son look up our location on his Onx and it showed two 320 acre parcels. It was another awkward/ annoying situation where it was obvious we were in for a disappointment.

Yup. Small acreage ranch. Smaller than I was led to believe as well. I didn’t see any signs of mass deaths of deer. Plenty of elk on the surrounding hills. And like I said, the deer I did see were mainly does, fawns, and yearlings. Which I would think would be the first to go during a hard winter.

The Winter Of 22-23 Here In DRATville Did Our Game Herds No Favors!

Alot Of People Screaming a 70% Loss!

Were Tags Cut 70% For The 2023 Hunts?

NOTTA!

You Can Always Post Here On MM Asking About Areas/Units Prior To Assuming You're Getting A Good Hunt And Collect Some Info Usually From Somebody Here In This State On This Site!

If I had Spent That Kinda Money I Woulda Toughed It Out Till The End!

But That's Just Hard-Headed Me!

And It May Have Not Done Any Good!

Sorry To Hear Your Kids Didn't Get A Decent Hunt!

The Deer Herd In This State Is In Serious Shape!

Most of the deer I have killed came as a result of watching a single hillside or canyon all day. Sometimes for multiple days. But watching a water hole all day while the photos show deer using the source at night seems a bad idea from the start. Any guide worth his salt (let alone $12,000) should have a back-up plan. Hell, half of the kids in my town could take you onto public lands and kill bucks that big. A guide should certainly have been able to manage it, and if not, then at least have been up-front about your chances when accepting your money. Hopefully you will make up for it with a few nice blacktails next season.

I guess we will never know if there were any other bucks since you gave up… sorry your hunt did t go as planned

Looking back, this one of the questions that I missed. I was more focused on seeing bucks and having opportunities. The guide told me the ranch was 1600 acres on the morning of the hunt when we were discussing the ranch and boundaries. When I thought about the size of the area we were hunting, I had my son look up our location on his Onx and it showed two 320 acre parcels. It was another awkward/ annoying situation where it was obvious we were in for a disappointment.
Hello All, After about 6 months of pondering, I have decided to share my experience with a very reputable “Outfitter” that is popular on this website. I won’t mention names, but I will say the hunts I was sold were on a private ranch in Huntsville UT. This will be the condensed version because there is just too much detail and information to write.

Last year I purchased 2 mule deer buck hunts for a ranch in Huntsville UT. The hunts were for my two kids, son 20 and daughter 16. The hunts were $6250 each ($13,500) plus the tags and licenses. This is a HUGE amount of money for me, but I’m not getting any younger and I wanted to have a once in a lifetime hunt with my kids. I felt this was the only time I would do this so it was worth it.

My two kids have been going out of state with me the last 4 years with no luck. But they have always got up every morning and evening and hiked along side of me for miles. Last year I said screw it and decided to pony up what I considered big money in an effort to get on to a private ranch and into the deer and see plenty of bucks.

I did some digging and reading and settled in on a very popular and reputable outfitter. I spoke with the outfitter’s family members on multiple occasions before I purchased the hunts. I made it abundantly clear that the type of hunt I was looking for wasn’t necessarily for big bucks (170 plus) but I wanted to be able to see multiple bucks a day. I was assured we would have multiple opportunities at “160” class bucks.”

The first sign something was wrong came about two weeks before the hunt. I was texted by the guide who was scheduled to take us. He texted me a couple of pics of the bucks he had seen on the ranch. Needless to say, the pics he sent were not impressive. In fact, we have killed much more impressive coastal black tail bucks in our home state of CA. I attached the pics of the two bucks to this post. When asked the guide if we would see more mature bucks than the ones he sent me, he said “probably”.

Well to cut to the chase, the hunt ended up being a complete waste of money and nothing at all like the description I was sold. We ended up hunting about 100 acres of steep mountain terrain of a 600 or so acre ranch. Basically we rode ATVs up a quakie covered mountain to a high point where we sat over a watering hole and glassed the 100 acres or so of canyon. On the second morning, my son did end up glassing up a 20” or so 3x2 on the neighbors ranch, but hunting that buck was pretty legally sketchy. We went back out the second evening to try and glass up that buck but no luck, so we decided to end the week early. In all we saw just the one buck on the neighbors ranch probably 5 does and 5 yearlings in two days/ 2 morning and 2 evening hunts. Yes we gave up early, but to be clear, it was painfully obvious that the bucks just weren’t there and the bucks that we were supposed to be hunting were really not worth hunting. We were all very disappointed.

I whole heartedly admit that leaving after 2 morning hunts and 2 evening hunts is cutting the hunt short, but at that point we were so completely let down based on what I was told by the outfitter when I purchased the hunts, that we just wanted to end the trip. It was obvious there were definitely not going to be multiple opportunities at 160” bucks.

I will add that after the first morning hunt on opening day, our guide asked us if we were going to “stick it out” for the rest of the week. I immediately thought that was an odd question, but it was obvious from the get go that the ranch and caliber of deer was just not there. I think the guide was used to hunters giving up early on this particular hunt.

We also had the pleasure of meeting the guide’s uncle at the house where we parked our truck to go hunt. The uncle was a nice man. While we were all discussing various hunts, the uncle made it clear that the hunting on the ranch was less than spectacular in recent years and said something to the tune of “there hasn’t been good bucks up there since the 80s”. This was another knife in our gut. It’s hard to describe the feeling I had, but it was one of disappointment and also embarrassment. I could not believe I was so naive to get ripped off. I had spent the last few months hyping the hunt up to my kids and my friends. I felt stupid.

I ended up sending a very detailed email to the outfitter detailing our hunt and the disappointment we had. The outfitter called me the next day and we had a pretty heated conversation. Basically the outfitter let me know that he felt it was our fault for giving up too early. He also suggested we should have hunted the buck we saw on the neighbors property. I countered with the fact that I was told we would have opportunities at multiple bucks a day and the bucks I was supposed to be hunting were far less than the caliber of deer one would expect for a $6250 hunt. I also argued the ranch was too small to be hunting and charging $6250 a hunter. I also did not like the fact that he was pissed we didn’t want to hunt the buck on the neighbors property. He did agree that the two bucks in the pics that were sent to me by the guide were less than impressive.

In the end , I asked the outfitter to replace the hunts with a better hunt, however they opted to refund us $4000 out of $12,500 and basically said good riddance to us. That to me was a slap in my face, but better than nothing.

The moral of my story is, there are reputable “outfitters” out there that will sell you hunts that aren’t worth even a fraction of what they charge. I’m sure the outfitters have access to better hunts they sell, but they also sell bad ones like the ones I bought near Huntsville UT. If you or anyone you know are considering purchasing a guided mule deer hunt near Huntsville UT, message me first and I will provide more details . I would absolutely hate to see any other hunters or dad’s get taken like I was.

View attachment 139449

View attachment 139450
So sorry about your getting ripped off - it’s happened to me several times over last 40 plus years in spite of lots of checking & crooked references- beyond insanity & infuriating!!!!!
Still infuriating & mind blowing how purely evil people can/will be to rip off others out of thousands & thousands of hard earned $$$$ !
You’re not the first & wont be last to get dumped on by crooks like that ! So very sorry 😢!
Lots of crooks out there ! Damn them !
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado

I agree with the post above.
Been duck/goose hunting since I was a kid, so I know my way around the marsh, so I purchased a flooded timber hunt in AR at a CWA event.
My son and I traveled to AR and was told a flooded timber hunt wasn’t in the game plan as rainfall/water wasn’t available.
Upon my return I spoke with the outfitter and another hunt, flooded timber, is now offered to me, no cost.
I had a good experience thankfully and the outfitter made it right.
$12k is a lot of money, I think your $4k is a pittance, and you should do yourself a favor and divulge his name.

Sad to see your time and money going to waste especially with the kids involved. Be careful who u trust anymore there's a broker on this site selling very similar "trophy" hunts to what u described. I got burned on buying my dad a once in a lifetime trophy mule deer hunt for his retirement gift and it went alot like what u described. Be aware

I would contact the DWR and find out if this is a legit outfitter. I'm pretty sure guides and outfitters are required to have a license and insurance. That's where I'd start. Then depending on what you find you may have other recourse.

And, don't be that guy. Name the outfitter.

Living in the area you mentioned I can assure you the deer got slaughtered last winter just like @Deerlove said. Very few decent bucks around. Post up the name of the outfitter, if it’s who I’m thinking I’m sure we have plenty of bad things to say about him. Or her. Whatever it identifies as.

I think a majority of the blame lies on you for not asking enough questions. Feel lucky he gave you $4k back after you left after the second day.

Living in the area you mentioned I can assure you the deer got slaughtered last winter just like @Deerlove said. Very few decent bucks around. Post up the name of the outfitter, if it’s who I’m thinking I’m sure we have plenty of bad things to say about him. Or her. Whatever it identifies as.

I think a majority of the blame lies on you for not asking enough questions. Feel lucky he gave you $4k back after you left after the second day.
i would disagree, to me it's unethical to sell a $13K hunt when you know there are no or very few bucks in the area. not to mention not being truthful on how much land they had to hunt.

Long time member here and I can’t for the life of me figure out who he went with that this website deems popular?

You said that you sat over a 100 acre spot for two days.
Did you ask up front how many acres the outfitter had access to?
Did you ask him up front to define the areas that he had access to hunt so that you could look on google earth to see if it looked like country you wanted to hunt? (or did you just assume afterwards that he only had access to the two parcels that you found on your Onx? maybe he had access to another 1000 acres that wasn't under the same name?)
Did you ask up front the type of hunting you would be doing - sitting water, hiking/glassing, horseback, ATV, truck, etc?
After the second day, did you ask him to hunt other areas of the 1600 acre ranch and/or try different tactics rather than sitting on one spot?
I know I have hunted in good areas and depending on conditions not seen much activity for a couple days and then after a few days things completely change and animals seem to crawl out of the woodwork.

I guess I would have had the difficult conversation with the outfitter and made him follow up on his promises before I left rather than just leave and then hope for a refund.

Did you talk to any references (previous clients)?

It sounds like you in fact did get sold a bill of goods. But, you shot yourself in the foot by quitting early. That gives the outfitter all the advantage in any kind of dispute.

Did you get references from previous clients that had hunted the same property?

I hate this for you, but I wish you hadn't given up early on the hunt.

I've had hunts "turn on a dime" due to a variety of factors in the past.

ETA: I'm not saying that was gonna happen in this situation you described; however, now you never actually know and the outfitter can always blame you for giving up early. I CANNOT BELIEVE you got a partial refund at all, actually.

Last edited:
$13,500 for a mule deer hunt for two on only 2.5 square miles of property and seeing multiple deer daily would raise a HUGE flag for me. Unless it was ag land bordering other bedding habitat.

2.5 square miles isn't much habitat for "multiple" bucks.

i would disagree, to me it's unethical to sell a $13K hunt when you know there are no or very few bucks in the area. not to mention not being truthful on how much land they had to hunt.
Sure it’s unethical if the outfitter knew this was the case. But WE don’t know that for sure. We can only go off of two days hunted. I’ve been on some great units and had two days of terrible hunting. Had the OP asked more questions he could have been better informed and avoided this situation.

Post up the outfitter.

I don't know the name of the people that bought this property but it's down in the hollow from the Byram and from Rockin Ranch straight south east from the old monastery. There's two parcels you'll see it in the photo. I'm wondering if this is the spot because I do know they sold some no trespassing or trespassing Passes. Two 300 acre parcels.

Sure it’s unethical if the outfitter knew this was the case. But WE don’t know that for sure. We can only go off of two days hunted. I’ve been on some great units and had two days of terrible hunting. Had the OP asked more questions he could have been better informed and avoided this situation.

Post up the outfitter.
I agree with your post. But in my opinion the pictures that were sent to him tell alot about this situation.

$13,500 for a mule deer hunt for two on only 2.5 square miles of property and seeing multiple deer daily would raise a HUGE flag for me. Unless it was ag land bordering other bedding habitat.

2.5 square miles isn't much habitat for "multiple" bucks.
He did not even have one square mile to hunt.
1 sq/ mile= 640 acres.

He did not even have one square mile to hunt.
1 sq/ mile= 640 acres.
His write up isn't 100% clear.
In his first post #1 he indicates that he was told by the guide that they had 1600 acres (that is where I came up with the 2.5 sq mi)
In his second post #3 he said his son looked up on Onx and they saw two 320 acre parcels.

What isn't clear is if the outfitter actually had 1600 acres or just 640 acres. As I mentioned in my post #23, the outfitter "may have" had access to another 1000 acres.

Regardless, going into a $13,500 guided hunt that includes only 2.5 sq mi should immediately throw up a red flag. 2.5 sq mi is nothing when it comes to mule deer hunting unless it is sitting in a blind over agriculture fields.

Here is what a real honest outfitter would have done. I live in the NW CO winterkill zone and I can tell you that a couple of outfitters I know and socialize with, scaled down the hunts last year significantly. AND warned ALL their NEW and REPEAT customers this was not going to the normal hunt and nothing like any of the repeating customers had experienced. One of them told me it was hard to tell repeat customers that not only would they probably not harvest animals - but he wasn't even sure how much game they might see. He advised these and new clients to postpone their trip. This outfitter said I can't look these people in the eyes and tell them things are going to be good. He only ran a couple of camps with new clients(these clients insisted the winterkill was overstated along with the snow totals). The new clients felt they were cheated and the old clients said they might sit out a year or two, but definetely would be back.

I hope you checked the references before you booked the hunt and I would have been demanding my deposit back the minute they sent you the night time trail cam pictures of those dinky bucks unless you were staying at something like the 3 Forks Ranch.

Just looking for a positive in a unfortunate situation, but at least it’s not Wade Lemon this time, that poor Walmart cowboy has more on his plate these days than a Polynesian teenager at an all you can eat buffet. #chuckarama
Never miss a chance to hit Chuck-a-Rama in St George when we're passing through. Love the opportunity to have Thanksgiving dinner anytime of the year. :)

Not posting the outfitter is like the republicans saying they are going to make all these changes when they take back the house, then sitting on their hands like cowards doing nothing. Quitting on day 2 was not smart you gave up leverage. Say the dudes name if he’s screwing people.

Not posting the outfitter is like the republicans saying they are going to make all these changes when they take back the house, then sitting on their hands like cowards doing nothing. Quitting on day 2 was not smart you gave up leverage. Say the dudes name if he’s screwing people.
I dont understand why people won’t say the names when complaining or talking about an experience

I agree with the posts about revealing the outfitters name and business. If you were that disgruntled to write this post and won't do business with them again, why not spill the beans.

I will say this. I have whitetail hunted for over 45 years but only mule deer hunted only the last 3-4. The VERY first question I would ask a private landowner/outfitter is how many acres of private land we would be hunting. Mule deer migrate as we all know. I hunted an 8K acre ranch in Colorado last year and when the deer are there, it's game on, but when the big bucks move, 8K ain't enough.

I feel bad about the experience you had but there were some basic questions that you did not cover with the outfitter that frankly are on you. At least you got a portion of your investment back.

I would have to say both parties are likely at fault.

Do your research, simply booking a hunt because they advertise on MMs isn’t doing the necessary intel on who to go with. It blows my mind how many clients I hear book their hunts with little or no research. 20k hunts and they booked it because they heard the outfitter on a podcast? Or they saw the hunt on a hunting booking website. I guess if you have a lot of money you’re busy and don’t have time to do all the research because you’re likely in a demanding job?

Think of your personal hunts and how you plan that DIY out of state hunt. How it’s going to go, what the terrain is going to look like etc. Even with a ton of research it doesn’t go as you perceive. Perception and expectation doesn’t always line up. Now factor that into a guided hunt. Without a lot of research you’re damn near setting yourself up for disappointment.

What sucks about references is you get the clients often that had no expectation or knowledge for their hunt. They will tell you it was an amazing time, and it was to them. You damn near need a hunting resume of the guys on the reference list.

Looks like this may go the way of the Epstein island list, but maybe the OPer could list one of those lightly used $6250 Ball caps he drove a thousand miles for in the classified forum.

Hello Everyone, I’m not one to shy away from an argument. Sorry it’s been a couple days since I posted the thread. I work late and long hours. I earn my money, which is half the reason why I feel so shitty about this entire situation. 13k is a shitload of money to me. The other half of the reason is because I felt like a fool after this incident. Especially because I spent the months leading up to the hunt repeating the promises I was made of 160” bucks being common place on the hunt.

I don’t want to name the outfitter, but I will say they are based in Utah and offer hunts in other states as well. Trust me when I say the first thing I wanted to do was hop on here when I got home and post the name of the outfitter. One of the main reasons I got so pissed was because the outfitter literally laughed at me during our first conversation on the phone after I emailed him. And for the record, I told him his hunt wasn’t worth more than a $600 trespass fee. I told him, “Im glad you think this is ******* funny, because there’s nothing funny about it to me.” That was the start of a three week negotiation. I asked him for half out money back and he laughed again. I told him I’d rather have two replacement hunts and he refused and instead told me he would be sending me a check and that was all I was gonna get. He didn’t tell me it would be $4000 but he let me know in so many words that it was take it or leave it. To his credit, he offered the partial refund, he said, because the hunts were for my kids.

In spite of how I feel about the outfitter, how he handled the entire situation, how they described what I was buying, I don’t want to name them because I am partially to blame because I didn’t finish the 5 days. BUT, you have to remember that those two pictures of those rat bucks were sent to me two weeks before the hunt. That was obviously a huge red flag, but my due diligence on the outfitter (mainly from this site) showed nothing but positive reviews…granted there was no specific information about this particular hunt. I was sold opportunities at 160” bucks….not rats.

I did not clarify the size of the ranch before I purchased the hunts. This was absolutely my error and I own it. I will repeat however, the ranch was nowhere near 1600 acres like I was told on our way up the mountain the first morning. It was two parcels that totaled 600 acres or so. I can’t recall the exact size. But the huntable land was literally 100 acres or less due to steep terrain and quakies. And I have no problem sitting over a canyon all day but it was just obvious I was sold a lemon hunt from the get go.

The guide that took us was a very nice and friendly guy. It was however, his first year as a guide but he and his family had supposedly been hunting this ranch for years and years. This is why his uncles remarks of there not being any decent bucks in the area since the 80s. Now maybe his idea of a decent buck is different than mine and before the bad winter there were 160” bucks running around everywhere up there, but I seriously doubt it.

I’m from California (cue the insults LOL) and I have hunted better bucks here than the two bucks my guide was wanting to hunt. He kept talking about the two bucks as though we should focus on looking for them….obviously this did not excite me or my kids. we sat over the water hole in the pic for those two days and even the small bucks never showed. But to be 100% I wasn’t looking for those bucks…I wanted the “multiple opportunities at 160” class” bucks that I was sold.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to my post. I’m sorry if I pissed some of you off. Try to remember that some people won’t post threads like this because of the embarrassment and also because of the hard knocks some of you all dish out…but it’s ok I can take it, even if I’m from California. lol. Thanks again for all your replies…good and bad!

Main purpose of my post was to try to save anyone else from booking this particular hunt in Huntsville…I’m sure the outfitter has decent hunts on other ranches but they 100% should not be selling this particular hunt for $6250 a person.

Can't blame you for working hard and trying to do something nice for your kids! Sounds like a mess from the start even if you didn't ask every single question one could think of regarding a hunt. Sucks for you and your kids even more no doubt about it! Those two bucks shouldn't be shot by anyone after the 2022 winter. Props to your kids for knowing better!

Bad deal for sure you can get a cwmu with 10,000 K Acres with good dates for that kind of money. Simple post on here last summer we would have straighten you up real quick.

Main purpose of my post was to try to save anyone else from booking this particular hunt in Huntsville…I’m sure the outfitter has decent hunts on other ranches but they 100% should not be selling this particular hunt for $6250 a person.
How do we avoid a scam artist if you just tell us Huntsville? Most of that area is private.

Exactly! There are probably some good and honest outfitters working other properties in that area that just got unwanted mud thrown their way.
We are in the internet age if you do shady work and aren’t transparent people will figure out real fast. During the pandemic the real estate market was full of dirty agents. A lot have been sued since and a lot of them been weeded out. The same should happen in the outfitting industry. There are a lot of good ones and a few shady ones.

I spend a lot of time in that area and I don't live far from there. There was some land bought that is 600 acres going up the canyon. I believe it was an outfitter. If I remember right there is a sign with the info. I'll grab the info next time I go by.

Was this in the canyon up from Huntsville a few miles from the town?

R&k is known for overbooking clients, then buying cheaper hunts from other CWMUs and pawn them off.

They are also known for selling hunts on a 10,000 acre ranch, Then sticking the client down low by the freeway on 300 acres with very few animals, while the big money guys hunt where the animals are. Oh but if you get lucky and see a big animal, rest assured they won’t let you go after it, and send you to a different spot the next day only to find out one of the “preferred” hunters are now hunting it.

I know this first hand.

Just and FYI if you are not buying a CWMU tag and are just getting a general season tag and paying an outfitter to go on someones property you are more than likely going to be chasing mule deer the rest of the public chase on general season units, which is yearlings and 2 year old bucks.

Something just doesn’t add up here. The OP says pictures of the two dink bucks at the pond were sent two weeks before the scheduled hunt.
The photos are dated 10/23.
That would put the 5 day hunt (typical CWMU allotted days) around 11/6.
General season ended a week before 11/6, which leads me to question was it was it a CWMU, since some run there season into November? CWMU’s don’t exist with just 1600 acres, much less 600.
If it was simply private land, how would he hunt on general tags after the season ended?
I think we’re lacking some info here?

Something just doesn’t add up here. The OP says pictures of the two dink bucks at the pond were sent two weeks before the scheduled hunt.
General season ended a week before 11/6, which leads me to question was it was it a CWMU, since some run there season into November? CWMU’s don’t exist with just 1600 acres, much less 600.
If it was simply private land, how would he hunt on general tags after the season ended?
Definitely lacking info-let’s start with the name of the outfitter 😂😂

People are lazy, dates are likely wrong on the trail camera

To be fair to this outfitter, since we don’t know who it is and if intentional… the year before the bad winter there were probably good bucks running around on this property. When the OP booked the hunt there was no way to know just how bad the winter really was. 80% winter kill in this area.

I live on the winter range where usually there are dozens of 160”+ bucks. This winter I saw one buck that was 160+. And the rest were dinks like in the picture the OP posted. If you are not seeing them on the winter range, you sure as **** are not going to see them hunting.

But I do feel bad for the OP and hope he has better luck. Always sucks to have a bad experience.

To be fair to this outfitter, since we don’t know who it is and if intentional… the year before the bad winter there were probably good bucks running around on this property. When the OP booked the hunt there was no way to know just how bad the winter really was. 80% winter kill in this area.

I live on the winter range where usually there are dozens of 160”+ bucks. This winter I saw one buck that was 160+. And the rest were dinks like in the picture the OP posted. If you are not seeing them on the winter range, you sure as **** are not going to see them hunting.

But I do feel bad for the OP and hope he has better luck. Always sucks to have a bad experience.
You live on the winter range? You’re part of the problem 😁

I'm Glad You Posted This booty!

I've Got In Many Arguments The Last Many Years!

Joe Blow Buys Himself A Guided Hunt!

After The hunts Are All Booked Up!

They Start Feeling People Out!

The Hunters That Give A Little More Are The Hunters That'll Be hunting The Best Animals!

Boy Does That Ever PISS Some People Off!

I'm Not Saying It's Right!

But It Happens!

R&k is known for overbooking clients, then buying cheaper hunts from other CWMUs and pawn them off.

They are also known for selling hunts on a 10,000 acre ranch, Then sticking the client down low by the freeway on 300 acres with very few animals, while the big money guys hunt where the animals are. Oh but if you get lucky and see a big animal, rest assured they won’t let you go after it, and send you to a different spot the next day only to find out one of the “preferred” hunters are now hunting it.

I know this first hand.

I'm Glad You Posted This booty!

I've Got In Many Arguments The Last Many Years!

Joe Blow Buys Himself A Guided Hunt!

After The hunts Are All Booked Up!

They Start Feeling People Out!

The Hunters That Give A Little More Are The Hunters That'll Be hunting The Best Animals!

Boy Does That Ever PISS Some People Off!

I'm Not Saying It's Right!

But It Happens!
Or when they see the check coming from a California resident....LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom