18 resident elk bp's

BEARDOWNAZ

Am really having a hard time with unit choices. I'm almost guaranteed and early rifle bull tag in all but units 9 and 23n. Right now I'm leaning towards unit 9 first choice and 10 second choice. Of course I'm worried about lack of precipitation so far this winter (although that may change this coming week) and all the people that show up for rut hunts in 9 and 10, but am about sick of waiting. Any thoguhts or advice as the deadline draws near?

Your choices are good, but I think 23 may be the best. To have that many points for elk is crazy, so just make sure you're confident on spending them on a somewhat dry year. This same time last year it appeared rather dry as well, but then we received late moisture which really helped out. Good luck in the draw!

I am a non resident with 18 points and am in the same boat.
I decided to pass this year and go for another point.After this many years, I want to try and have everything in my favor. Probably won't ever happen. hopefully next year!

23N and then 9. 10 is a unit with potential access issues and gets a lot of attention. It's a good unit but not as good as some of the others IMO.

with Your accumulated number of resident B.P.(18) you have been very unlucky under the NOW draw system that Az. has ... DO NOT wait,go for it in 2012,no telling what the future may bring You ??? Good adice from above on units,I will 2nd. 23N as a 1st choice of Your 2 choices.About same number of tags but fewer friends/supporters wanting to be there like what happens in unit 9 each year ??? As for a 2nd. choice in 2012, late Sept. is a good time to be in unit 10 ... Good Luck,you have earned this opportunity at a early bull tag in Az. --------------- Bruce & SilverGrand

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-12 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]I def. wouldnt put in for 23 north first choice with 18 points. I would be curious to know when the last time the guys that are telling you to put in for 23n were actually in the unit during the rut. 23 north has dove off a cliff in the last 3 years. Dont put in for 23 north unless your good with a 375 type bull of less. I wasnt there last year, but i havent missed the previous 10 years or so. 2 years ago i spent 30 days camped in the unit during sept and the biggest bull we saw went 375 as he lay on the ground. There are a few giants of course, but very very few. 23 north is a very private hunt with the tag numbers, but 9 has many more jumbos.

I would also add(just my opinion), that 23N is slightly more immune to drought conditions than 9 or 10 is cause of average precipatation levels. If you have to put in this year, and this year shakes out to be a "drought " year, then 23 north starts to look better and better when compared to 9 or 10. If you have waited this long, then why not wait another year or so for above average precip. levels so that your hunt is truly awesome without having to calculate in the drought factor. Good luck on your call and such. I will say this that any of the units that people mentioned here will assure you one heck of alot of fun in the field.

Sounds to me like CouesMagnet also has 18 points. I would say 23N all the way. Let the others have their circus in 9 & 10.

I only have 2 points for elk, but i wish i had 18. I dont know anyone with more than 10 points, but i wish i did so i could put in with them. I just cant imagine having 18 points for elk. Unit 23 is my favorite unit in the state, and its kind of sad to see how far downhill it has gone in recent years. I have tried to understand what has caused the drop in big bull numbers, and other than the steady increase in late rifle tags, its hard to figure it out. I have a theory though, and it has to do with the rodeo chedisky fire years ago. I think before the fire alot of elk from the reservation would jump the fence to rut in 23 north. Since most of the fire stayed on the reservation side, the reservation now has superior feed to the 23 N side. I think less elk leave the reservation to rut in 23N now after the fire because the feed is holding them on the reservation side. If you go to the areas in 23 north that the fire did jump the fence(canyon creek), you will see very large concentrations of elk because of the feed in the new burn. These areas have large numbers of reservation bulls jumping the fence. Unfortunately everyone and their grandma hunt here and the big bulls know to jump the fence before shooting light. I am just saying to the dude with 18 points, that 23 north built its reputation by being a big bull unit for years, but the days of finding multiple giants are over at least for a couple of years. 23 N is a awesome experience for bulls screaming and with the tag numbers for early rifle its hard to beat the privacy in the field. I just wouldnt want a guy to put in for 23 N going off past experiences in 23N, even if it was just 5 years ago, cause alot has changed in just the last 3. I did see a 360-370 bull this year on the late rifle hunt in the six days i was there, and i think he made it, so there is hope for next year. Send me a pm if you draw 23North cause i think i could help you out. I wish i had your problem with the 18 points and all.

Thanks for all the info and opinions. I think you(Couesmagnet) are onto something with the Rodeo-Chedeski fire theory. I helped on an early rifle bull tag in 3A/3C and we didn't see as big of bulls as expected. I've heard the number of late reservation tags is partly to blame. I'm liking the precipitation we are having around Flag right now and hope it continues,especially in 9 and 10. I have heard the horror stories of the trophy hunts in 10, but still see or hear of big elk coming out every year. I'm still really leaning towards 9 and 10, in that order. In any case, the early rifle hunts are hard to beat and I hope my wait will have been worth it. Good luck to all in the draw and don't forget, it is only two days away!!!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom