2008 recommened quotas

nvnative79

The recommened quotas are on NDOW's website. They really cut the Elk and deer tags. Sheep, Antelope and Goat pretty much stayed the same. If you guys want to know what they did for your hunt you put in for and I will tell you.

Wow! Not looking good where we hunt. Tags just got a lot harder to draw. Almost cut in half!

Don P.

The meeting to actually set those suggested numbers is tomorrow, Saturday 5-10-08, at the Valley Rd office. Times etc are listed on the website. It does not say the public will have a say, but might be intersting to listen to what the biologists have to say.

In Elko we at the wildlife board went with the ndow numbers they were about the same except in area 6 where the fires have had a big impact and we needed to lower numbers. Ely's board and the public at the meeting cut the ndow's numbers for elk in half as they want to see the quality go back up.

Just curious, what was the need for the deer cuts? The winter? Was it harsh in Nevada also? Nice to see Nevada make adjustments as necessary from year to year. Maybe tougher to draw now, but later when you do, hopefully the quality and numbers are up.

To piggy-back on what KTC said....nice to know there is a state out there caring for its wildlife and not just dollars.

Steve

>To piggy-back on what KTC said....nice
>to know there is a
>state out there caring for
>its wildlife and not just
>dollars.

Lots of folks will disagree but NDOW has always done a pretty good job of managing its big game.

Here is the article from the RJ

RENO -- Nevada wildlife biologists are recommending fewer hunting tags this year for elk, deer and antelope after wildfires, drought and a harsh winter in some areas led to poor survival rates for fawns and calves.

State recommendations for desert, California, and Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep are about the same as last year.

In this year's survey of big game populations, biologists estimate Nevada's mule deer numbers at 108,000, down from 114,000 in 2007 and 23 percent below average, according to the Nevada Department of Wildlife.

The population estimates and biologists' recommendations will be discussed Saturday when the Nevada Wildlife Commission concludes a two-day meeting in Reno by setting tag quotas for this year's hunting season.

Once quotas are set, hunters who applied for big game tags earlier this spring are entered into the annual draw, or lottery, that is conducted in June.

Biologists said the winter of 2006-2007 left many Nevada water basins near or below 50 percent of average, forcing deer to travel greater distances for water and forage and exposing malnourished fawns to predators.

"For many of our central Nevada herds the summer alone did (in) the fawns even before the winter hit," the report said.

"For those herds that fared better through the summer, many were faced with difficult winter conditions that took its toll on fawns in January and February, evidenced by the third lowest spring fawn ratio on record."

Statewide, the Wildlife Department is recommending 9,043 resident rifle tags for mule deer, the most popular. Specific quotas are set for areas around the state.

The recommendation compares with a quota of 10,265 approved by the commission last year.

For antelope, 126 fewer tags were suggested for the main hunt. For bull elk, 728 resident rifle tags were recommended, compared with 778 approved last year. The Department of Wildlife also recommended 1,210 cow elk tags, down 210 from 2007.

I'm glad to see they're adjusting quotas. Nevada is a hard state to draw, but when you do you have a hunt worth taking. I've enjoyed every hunt I've done over there. I haven't drawn much in the last 15+ years, but the hunts are high quality and I will get my tags....eventually.

I went to the Commisson meeting on Sat in Reno and they made pretty minimal changes to the recommended quotas, They did add 2 Rocky tags for a total of 12 altogether which is cool, And as far as the Ely elk tags they approved 197 in the early hunt and
around 150 in the late which was alot more than the Ely guys wanted to see.

i hope they took the recommendations of the wildlife bio dudes seriously. while i will be disappointed not to draw it is better to take care of the herds then over stress the animals and risk endangering future years.

I am glad to see the quotas drop some too. The winter was pretty hard on the animals. The effects won't be seen too much this year as far as mature bucks, be we will be seeing fewer smaller bucks this season. That will translate to fewer 2 1/2 year old deer next year unless the tags are reduced this year.

With that being said, I think its funny how the people say the quality of elk have gone DOWN. Eastman's had the stats from 1997-2006 for B&C entries. Up to 2006 there were 65 total entries into B&C from NV. From 97-06 there were 56. Which means there were only 9 entries prior to 1997. Add to that the at least 2 bulls killed last year that came real close to 400 Net, and several others taken, and I am sure the number of entries went up at least 6 last year. Doesn't seem like quality is dropping to me. Nevada is still at the top for the number of tags issued and the number of big bulls taken. I have not seen any state that can match that many bulls entered every year. I think people just want BIGGER bulls than can realistically be grown here. Since Jerry Mcoen (sp?) killed the 425 monster on Table Mountain in 1999, everyone thinks there should be a 400 bull behind every tree (or sagebrush) in the state. I don't know of many people that would have a problem shooting a 330 bull and being plenty happy. Also it seems the same people who are mad about the quality dropping are the ones who are mad because of all the new wilderness areas produced, and have $30,000 in 4 wheelers in the garage. Riding around on a 4 wheeler does not get a big bull. Working hard and hunting smart gets a big bull on the ground. The wilderness areas also will help grow some big bulls. If you want a big bull in NV you will surely have to work for it.

Sorry for my rant.

Later,

Marcial

The reason for the decreased deer tag quotas was partially winter and partially drought. The bioligists observed doe to fawn or recruitment rates were way down, and the is what drives the population model is fawns per 100 does.

RE: 2008 recommended quotas

Nevada does due a good job of managing there wildlife , we have less animals then any of the top B&C producing states and we still manage to put some good numbers in the book each year. Last year I took a 416 bull.

RE: 2008 recommended quotas

NVarrow! Thats a hog of a bull. Lets hear the story on that bad boy!

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom