2011 Elk 11 Resident BP's

vanderb79

So I have 11 bonus points heading into the 2011 draw and am wanting some input on the best application strategy. Some factors to consider - I'm ok with any weapon - can hunt archery, muzzy or rifle. I have a cabin in Heber so any unit near there would make scouting and even the hunt easier. I'll be 50 years old by the time the fall of 2011 is upon us so this could well be the last or certainly one of the last times I will build up a large number of BP's. I have one 350ish" bull on the wall and I would want the opportunity to better that one. Lastly, I would consider a modestly priced guide if I felt it would greatly enhance the experience and/or expectations. With that in mind, what hunt would you suggest and why? Thanks in advance for your opinions...Bill

Since you have a cabin in some of the best elk country in AZ. I would consider putting in for the archery hunt in 3a/3c- you should be in the max bonus point pool for next year or close to it. And as you know there are some huge bulls in that unit. If you dont care on waiting a few extra years, I would put in for the early rifle tags in the better units as killing a 350 plus bull with archery equipment is no easy task in even the best units in AZ.

Bill:

You are in to deep to not keeping holding out for a early rifle bull tag. It should be all or nothing for you since you are a resident and do have a knack of drawing good tags (Unit 10 rifle antelope- Strip archery).

Hold out if you want the chance for a huge bull. I caved in and got one of those early muzzleloader tags in Unit 6A last year with about half the points you have. Glad I did! Now I am a confirmed antlerless elk hunter.

Don Martin
AWO

4817don_martin_unit_6a_ml_9-29-2010.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far. Yesterday I found out my 2 labs got out of a freind's yard who was watching them while I'm in MN. They have been missing since x-mas eve. So this and my antelope post are not that important right now, but I thought I should reply anyway.

Don, interesting perspective, but I'm not sure I agree. Looks like will 11 BP's I'm at the cusp of drawing any early archery unit I want, but still could be a long way from an early bull rifle tag. Yes, if the drawing Gods smile, I could get one in 2011, but looks like I would need 16 points or more to really be there "for sure". That's at least 5 more years if there is no point creep and no rule changes that would screw things up.

I know it wouldn't be easy to score on a big bull with a bow, but if I felt I would at least get into them a couple times and therefore have the "opportunity", that would be good enough.

A compromise may be a muzzy hunt though its really hard to discern what the draw odds are for those and you don't seem to ever know which units will have that hunt year to year.

Too many people play into this point BS. I had 11
points and drew a second choice archery tag 2 years
ago. Last year my dad drew an early rifle bull tag with 7
points. This past year my buddy drew an early rifle bull
tag with 7 points. Two 12 year old kids drew the same tag
together with no points......

Bottom line is, as a resident points can help but I wouldn't
rely on them too much. You'll never draw the tag if you
don't apply for it.

Bonus points are all about mathematical possibilities, not mathematical certainties :)

Put it this way, if you have one point in the draw and I have 12, who do you thinks has the best ODDS of drawing?

We do this little exercise in our Hunter Ed classes to show folks how it works; We give folks various bonus points then use our own "computer" to shake out numbers. Do those with most points get a low number ALL the time? Nope, and are those with 1 point excluded from drawing? Nope, but in the long run, at least in our exercise, you'll have a heck of a better chance to get a tag with lots of points that you do with a few points.

Don Martin
Master Instructor
AZ Hunter Education
Region III

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom