2012 NM Muley

agrvarminthunter

We had a good year and went 5 for 5 in deer camp. I was excited with the buck that I got. The best thing is I was with my dad when I got him. He has been with me all 3 bucks I have killed. Not much to the story as I got him at noon the first day of the hunt. My dad and I hit a spot the first morning that I just knew would be full of deer and we didn't see anything but one group of nine little does. So we were headed out to find another spot that we had seen some little deer scouting the weekend before. We decided to stop and check the spot where dad shot his deer last year, but really didn't expect to see much because we knew those deer were just moving through there last year. We circled it and nothing. We were headed back out and there was one little road that went through the middle of the spot. I told dad lets take that road and see if we see anything from it. We are driving down it and dad says, "Well I guess we have swtiched over to coyote hunting". I parked when I figured we had gone far enough and told him I was going to glass. I got in the back of the pickup and started glassing and next thing I know I see ten or twelve deer running through the mesquites on the horizon and I see a good buck that needs to be investigated. I told dad to get in the truck and we went around where I thought they might be going. We get around and sure enough I can spot a couple of them milling around about .75 mile away. Dad and I go up the fence line to try and use it for cover. We spook a coyote and he goes right towards the deer so now they are on alert. I sit dad at a fence corner and told him I was going to to over the hill and come around them from the north because the wind was wrong. I didn't get 100 yards from dad and they blew out of there. I went back to dad and asked him to take the truck around a mile and pick me up and I was going to go where I thought they might stop. I peak over a sand hill and there they are. I set up at 243 yard with my bi-pod and .300 WSM and wait them out for about 15 minutes til dad gets impatient and moves the pickup again and the buck jumps up and gives me a shot. One shot and he hit the ground harder than anything I have ever seen. Thanks for reading and here are the pics.
2411pb170454.jpg

931pb170456.jpg

8251pb170457.jpg

647pb200462m.jpg

Here is the five of them. My buddies killed the first three from the left, mine is the fourth one and my dads is the fifth one. Hard to go five for five anymore and especially not have to kill a forkie to do it.

They are all muleys there isn't a whitetail in there. The buck on the far left was a very young buck and he doesn't have the white mask in fully yet. He was going to be a good one, but was all busted up this year. Thanks for all the compliments on my deer. I hope the weather pattern changes and these deer have feed to grow some bone next year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom