A great hunting tale

Tristate

Long Time Member
I have been quiet about an experience I was fortunately blessed with this year. I have shared some pics but I have not told this tall tale yet. It started with a magical spring and summer. Record rains came to the country that my brothers and I hunt. It was most welcome after a damning drought and one of the worst deer seasons we have had in 2022.

I went out labor day to guide an aoudad hunt and hoped to scout for a big deer for me or my brothers to chase in archery season. The aoudad hunt ran long and by the time we were wrapped up I only had 2 days to look at muleys. After 2 days of searching I had turned up on nice typical that I thought would go 175.

Archery season came and my brothers and I met for some hot mule deer hunting. The evening before opener one brother asked if I had a lead on a big one. I told him about the one buck I had found and told him we would make a play on him in the morning and he could decide whether it was what he was looking for.

At day break we set up our optics on a hill overlooking a long red crescent valley. As the light slowly brightened I made out the shape of a lonely mule deer feeding. I was optimistic this would be the same buck I had seen there a month earlier. Slowly I could make out the antlers twitching as he fed. Soon I realized this wasn't the buck I had come there to find but something much more special. We soon had enough light to make out exactly what he was and who he was. This was a giant buck we had chased two years before and had never seen again. Back then he was a giant living in a slightly different area close to our location. We had stepped on him when stalking and never saw him again. We had figured he had died. He was older now and in his twilight years but still a hellavu buck with matched in line double forks. We watched patiently for an hour as he went into a deep cut to bed.

I left one brother there watching on the spotter. In the cut we could not see the deer anymore but knew he would be there. My other brother and I suited up and began the stalk.

We reached the hill above the cut and I crawled to the edge to locate this buck. Upon reaching the edge I could see him sound asleep 35 yards below me. I slowly crawled back and I informed my brother to crawl up to the same spot don't worry about ranging him and stick him. My brother inched forward to the kill spot and looked back at me in confusion. I tried to direct his sight to the buck using frantic hand signals but I could tell it was futile. I crawled forward. The buck was gone. I knew he must still be very close by, I just no longer knew exactly where.

We inched over to a connected wash out thinking he could have gotten in it but it was empty. We sat up and discussed the possibilities. I stood up slowly and looked around. I saw a tiny dirt bank that had collapsed from rain just thirty yards away. I told my brother he needed to walk over there and check in below that edge. It was small but a buck could curl up there and hide. He approached it slowly with me following. As his last step settled on the ground above the edge antlers slowly rose less than two feet from the tip of his boot. I could see this giant head rise above the edge of the red dirt and a big brown eye role sideways to observe me. I could smell him now as a slight breeze hit my face. This monster buck was about to explode like a covey of quail. But he didn't. He slowly began crawling like nothing I had ever seen a deer do. As silent as a cat he was trying to sneak away from us. My curious gawking was suddenly snapped back to reality by a loud THWACK! The arrow was away and then the buck finally exploded in a panic run leading him to the bottom of the valley. I watched in my binos as he tipped over. Definitely one of the greatest hunting experiences of my life and I wasn't even shooting.
20231002_122428.jpg

Upon meeting up with my brother he was just excited as all of us. He had watched the whole show in the spotter. He told us he saw the deer crawl from the bottom of the cut up into the little wash out where we found him. He said several times he wanted to yell at us because at his level it appeared we were stomping all over the buck 🤣

After getting him cut up and all the back slapping was over it was time to start looking for a buck for myself. Normally I would know a buck to go after but this time I had no plan.

To be continued .. ..

Last edited:
When I was a kid my dad and uncles would send us kids through the thick Russian Olive trees on deer drives. One Year while I was walking the edge of a big patch of Russian olive trees in some thicker taller sage a big buck jumped up about 10-15 yards in front of me and tried to make his escape out over the hill side my uncle was walking along shadowing our drive. He was able to put him down, a really nice 23-24 inch buck with inline 5's like your buck, but not quite as big lol. My uncle said he watched that buck crawl on his belly in front of me for a good distance before it finally jumped up and ran he didn't dare shoot since it was so close to me.

I know a guy that used to hunt out in the bookcliffs before they closed it down, said he was up on a high point watching an area that the rest of his family was pushing through hunting and he spotted a big buck but it was to far away for him to shoot, he said he watched as someone got close to it, that buck walked up into a juniper tree and climbed up into it with just his back feet in the dirt, and his head and body up in the tree, the family member walked right on by pretty close and never seen the buck, once the hunter went on by the buck made his escape.

They can be some crafty sucker's.

This I'm Sure JakeH Was Before You Were Old Enough To Hunt!

There Used To Be Sage Brush,Buck Brush & I Don't Know What All In The Bottom Of Willow Creek That Was 10'-12' Tall!

After Surrounding Areas Were Pressured By Hunters Alot Of Deer Would Move Down In That THICK Sshitt & It Would'of Took A Pack Of Dogs To Move Them Out!

We Used To get up On Vantage Points & Try & Get A Look At Them But All you Could Really See Was A Little Movement!

It was great Cover For Deer!

The Sshitt Was Kinda Like hunting Olive Patches Like You're Saying,In 20 Yards Your Clothing Would Be Shredded!

Then They Decided To Burn It All!

End Of Cover & Story!

When I was a kid my dad and uncles would send us kids through the thick Russian Olive trees on deer drives. One Year while I was walking the edge of a big patch of Russian olive trees in some thicker taller sage a big buck jumped up about 10-15 yards in front of me and tried to make his escape out over the hill side my uncle was walking along shadowing our drive. He was able to put him down, a really nice 23-24 inch buck with inline 5's like your buck, but not quite as big lol. My uncle said he watched that buck crawl on his belly in front of me for a good distance before it finally jumped up and ran he didn't dare shoot since it was so close to me.

I know a guy that used to hunt out in the bookcliffs before they closed it down, said he was up on a high point watching an area that the rest of his family was pushing through hunting and he spotted a big buck but it was to far away for him to shoot, he said he watched as someone got close to it, that buck walked up into a juniper tree and climbed up into it with just his back feet in the dirt, and his head and body up in the tree, the family member walked right on by pretty close and never seen the buck, once the hunter went on by the buck made his escape.

They can be some crafty sucker's.

I've had a lot of experiences similar to this when just trying to close on a buck to get pics or video footage. I experienced a sneaking buck doing a low crawl a couple of times as well- amazing both times as the buck thought he was successful- and in a way he was- both instances camera failed me! :eek:;)

I have been quiet about an experience I was fortunately blessed with this year. I have shared some pics but I have not told this tall tale yet. It started with a magical spring and summer. Record rains came to the country that my brothers and I hunt. It was most welcome after a damning drought and one of the worst deer seasons we have had in 2022.

I went out labor day to guide an aoudad hunt and hoped to scout for a big deer for me or my brothers to chase in archery season. The aoudad hunt ran long and by the time we were wrapped up I only had 2 days to look at muleys. After 2 days of searching I had turned up on nice typical that I thought would go 175.

Archery season came and my brothers and I met for some hot mule deer hunting. The evening before opener one brother asked if I had a lead on a big one. I told him about the one buck I had found and told him we would make a play on him in the morning and he could decide whether it was what he was looking for.

At day break we set up our optics on a hill overlooking a long red crescent valley. As the light slowly brightened I made out the shape of a lonely mule deer feeding. I was optimistic this would be the same buck I had seen there a month earlier. Slowly I could make out the antlers twitching as he fed. Soon I realized this wasn't the buck I had come there to find but something much more special. We soon had enough light to make out exactly what he was and who he was. This was a giant buck we had chased two years before and had never seen again. Back then he was a giant living in a slightly different area close to our location. We had stepped on him when stalking and never saw him again. We had figured he had died. He was older now and in his twilight years but still a hellavu buck with matched in line double forks. We watched patiently for an hour as he went into a deep cut to bed.

I left one brother there watching on the spotter. In the cut we could not see the deer anymore but knew he would be there. My other brother and I suited up and began the stalk.

We reached the hill above the cut and I crawled to the edge to locate this buck. Upon reaching the edge I could see him sound asleep 35 yards below me. I slowly crawled back and I informed my brother to crawl up to the same spot don't worry about ranging him and stick him. My brother inched forward to the kill spot and looked back at me in confusion. I tried to direct his sight to the buck using frantic hand signals but I could tell it was futile. I crawled forward. The buck was gone. I knew he must still be very close by, I just no longer knew exactly where.

We inched over to a connected wash out thinking he could have gotten in it but it was empty. We sat up and discussed the possibilities. I stood up slowly and looked around. I saw a tiny dirt bank that had collapsed from rain just thirty yards away. I told my brother he needed to walk over there and check in below that edge. It was small but a buck could curl up there and hide. He approached it slowly with me following. As his last step settled on the ground above the edge antlers slowly rose less than two feet from the tip of his boot. I could see this giant head rise above the edge of the red dirt and a big brown eye role sideways to observe me. I could smell him now as a slight breeze hit my face. This monster buck was about to explode like a covey of quail. But he didn't. He slowly began crawling like nothing I had ever seen a deer do. As silent as a cat he was trying to sneak away from us. My curious gawking was suddenly snapped back to reality by a loud THWACK! The arrow was away and then the buck finally exploded in a panic run leading him to the bottom of the valley. I watched in my binos as he tipped over. Definitely one of the greatest hunting experiences of my life and I wasn't even shooting.View attachment 143888

Upon meeting up with my brother he was just excited as all of us. He had watched the whole show in the spotter. He told us he saw the deer crawl from the bottom of the cut up into the little wash out where we found him. He said several times he wanted to yell at us because at his level it appeared we were stomping all over the buck 🤣

After getting him cut up and all the back slapping was over it was time to start looking for a buck for myself. Normally I would know a buck to go after but this time I had no plan.

To be continued .. ..
I was 16 in 1963. First buck I ever shot was whitetail 5x5, field dressed at 213 pounds. My Dad say the buck go into a chokeberry patch above the Red Deer River. I got on the ridge above the berry patch and Dad circled down and came up from the bottom. The buck held until Dad was almost through the patch at which time the whitetail came crawling out on his front knees and his nose in the dirt. It worked because Dad couldn’t see him over the berry bushes. His problem was, he crawled out 50 yards in front of me, with nothing between us and 6” high native prairie grass. I emptied 10 rounds of 303 from a British Enfield at him. One of the ten hit him, but I couldn’t tell you which of the ten it was.

Last edited:
We didn't know exactly where to go but we were going. We spent a couple of fruitless days looking at nice deer but no great ones.

Then I decided to go look at one of our traditional summer haunts. It holds bucks every summer but is hard to glass. There are two lookouts both over a mile from the honey hole and both you stare into a rising sun at prime glassing time.

In the gray light we sat staring through our glasses. I picked up 2 bucks feeding calmly in the binos both looked interesting and my brother set up a spotter, and WOA! My jaw dropped. One of the two bucks had everything you dream of in a muley. Giant forks. Giant beams. Awesome width. We watched him as he fed for almost an hour in the rising sun. Our eyes were almost bleeding from staring at the sun but none of us wanted to look at anything else. We guessed measurements and added and re-added up his score as we waited for him to bed.

Finally both bucks bedded close together and I started to devise a plan to go for him. I made a huge loop to the east and circled back from the north. I was most of the way there when the wind flipped and both bucks boogied. Game over. We backed out and headed for some new country but our minds couldn't be dragged away from there.

The next morning we were back on the look out but we couldn't find him. We searched for hours and actually spotted him up feeding just before lunch like he didn't have a care in the world. We watched him bed again and the stalk was on. I worked out hand signals with my brother and made my move. I made a big hook and came to my shot spot. I looked back at my brother and it looked like he was telling me I needed to go farther south. I hooked further south and started very slowly advancing while watching west when suddenly the beast exploded from my right side. He stopped 80 yards away and gave me a parting look. It was one of the most awesome seens I have ever watched in all my hunting years. That was it for my archery season. It was time to go back home. We swore to come back in gun season and give it the ol college try. But now this hunting tale took a wild twist.

When we left one of my friends showed up with his daughter and buddy to archery hunt. I've known this man for 10 years. Both he and his daughter are exceptional hunters. He told me they had cleared their schedules and would be bow hunting for 20 days. Selfishly I wanted that deer but finally I had to face the reality that my friends are great hunters and if one of them killed that deer I was gonna be happy for them.

Days went by and I was working away when the call came. My friend's daughter had shot a big deer and word was it was a big one. Unfortunately they had not recovered the buck and they were looking for him. I talked to my buddy that night on the phone and he gave me the details. The shot buck was close to the location where I had been hunting a week before. And the description was similar to the deer I had hunted. Oh well it was a fun hunt and now I hoped they would recover him but they never did. They searched for days but never located their wounded buck. At the same time, the more I talked to my friend the more I thought this was a different deer. But I just wasn't sure about anything.

To be continued......

We inched over to a connected wash out thinking he could have gotten in it but it was empty. We sat up and discussed the possibilities. I stood up slowly and looked around. I saw a tiny dirt bank that had collapsed from rain just thirty yards away. I told my brother he needed to walk over there and check in below that edge. It was small but a buck could curl up there and hide. He approached it slowly with me following. As his last step settled on the ground above the edge antlers slowly rose less than two feet from the tip of his boot. I could see this giant head rise above the edge of the red dirt and a big brown eye role sideways to observe me. I could smell him now as a slight breeze hit my face. This monster buck was about to explode like a covey of quail. But he didn't. He slowly began crawling like nothing I had ever seen a deer do. As silent as a cat he was trying to sneak away from us. My curious gawking was suddenly snapped back to reality by a loud THWACK! The arrow was away and then the buck finally exploded in a panic run leading him to the bottom of the valley. I watched in my binos as he tipped over. Definitely one of the greatest hunting experiences of my life and I wasn't even shooting.View attachment 143888

To be continued .. ..
I felt like I was there with you guys. Really good read.

To be continued .. ..
That's a Texas muley? Wow I had no idea they were like that nice buck great story

When you purchase a Texas hunting license it comes with a mule deer tag which can be used on private land with permission. That is how this deer was tagged.

Texas also has some draw mule deer tags for public land. Right now the mule deer tag that everyone puts in for in this state is Yoakum dunes. It is not a large WMA but they have killed some very nice muleys on it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom