257 weatherby bullets for speedgoats?

basselkNM

Purchased a 257 weatherby mag last year and am going 2 use it this year on a speedgoat hunt was just curiuos on what might be a good bullet for them? any help would b appreciated thanks

If you reload, try the 120 gr. sierra gameking. It has been a very good bullet in my 25-06 at 3000 fps. If you do not reload, I believe Federal offers that bullet also. Lopes are not hard to knock down and you do not need a tough bullet to get the job done. This is one animal that a reasonable priced bullet will do the job and that bullet has a very good rep for outstanding accuracy in most rifles.

RELH

I went with the Barnes Triple Shock 115 gr. flat base for my weatherby this year. I use to shoot a nosler partition but have had really good performance with the barnes bullet. I went with the 115 gr. because I will be using them on muleys as well.

bm

I use Hornady Spire Point. Weatherby used to offer them in their factory loads.I am not sure if they still do. They shoot real flat and kill like lightning. I have been shooting them for over twenty five years.
Don

Weatherby does still offer the 100gr spire point in factory loading. I used that bullet for my Antelope hunt in 2006, I posted the video here on MM of that buck hitting the dirt like he was hit with Thors hammer. Great bullet for lopes.....

Take a look at the Accubond. The bullet seems to work well in a variety of cartridges. And I know folks that have used them in a variety of cartridges on various game. Myself included. mtmuley

I to my antelope last season with a 115 BT, but switched to a 110 grain accubound and it took out both shoulders and spine of a 200 lb whitetail buck and was a complete pass through.

That sounds like a big waste of good meat to me. I quit using Core-lokts 20 years ago for that same reason.

RELH

REDDOG
Do you know anyone shooting the 115 grain berger bullet.I have been struggling to find the right load with the berger bullet I dont know if its my seating depth or if I am trying to get to much velocity.Need help

thanks very much

Elkhuntr
I am stuggling with my 115 berger bullets. May I ask what you are using,including seating depth.

Thanks very much

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-08 AT 00:16AM (MST)[p]I dont know anyone useing them, scince you will never reach the lands in a wby like they recommend, i would load it like a standard bullet. i would recommend trying a oal of 3.225-3.250, and use a heavy dose of H4831. i would think some where around 66 grains, but use your judgment on that. i have also had great luck using the vld case chamfer tool, availible from most reloading supplyers,it cut a less steep angle on the case mouth (22 deg.) i think, they are inexpensive from midway or cabela's.

also, i have heard that Walt Bereger is great to talk too,and will go out of his way to help if you still have problems, i would call berger.

edit, i hate giving powder charge advice, it worry's me! the 66 grains is my old load i used with sierra 120's, i would work up to it. my sierra book says their accuracy load was 64.9 grs of H4831.

Huntin4fun, I am pushing the 115 Bergers with 66 Grains of H4831. I set the bullet depth to just clear the magazine. I can look and see what they are chronographed at if you need me to.
Elkhuntr

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom