264 Win Mag Load Help?

Gwagen

I have a pre-64 Winchester model 70 Westerner .264 magnum that I've owned for 35 years and rarely shot. Recently, I got to thinking that I should see if I could equip it for shooting 400-500 yards. Trouble is, I have not found a load that seems to work well in it.

Most of the loads I've tried have been with components I've had on the shelf for many years. Sierra and Hornady 120-140 gr spitzer bullets, IMR 4350 and 4831 powder. Most of the loads I've tried have grouped in the 2-3 moa range. The best shooting load is Remington 140gr Core-Lokt factory loads at just over 1 moa.

I know bullets and powders have been improved over the years and am thinking that I need to try some "modern" bullets. Do any of you have suggestions for a brand/type that is particularly accurate, especially in 6.5mm? At this point, I'm not really interested in the likely performance on game, but rather in working up an accurate load. I'll worry about whether it's a bullet suitable for game later. The rifle would be used for both deer species in AZ and antelope (if I ever get that lucky). If you happen to shoot a .264 mag and have a specific load that has worked well for you and would share the info, that would be wonderful too.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bruce

I would load it with a quality bullet like the 130gr nosler accubond. Great deer/antelope bullet. Try RL22 or H4831sc with the 130gr.

I'll 2nd that but also try the 140 gr accubond while your at it.

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

One of my very favorite guns I own two Westerners , I've shot a truckload of deer and pronghorn over the years with one of mine.

The 264 originally came with a dual caliber 140 bullet in the factory loads. it's hard to duplicate the velocity those gave, I've cronographed lots of loads and and failed.

I have several loads that work great in both 264's but my favorite is a 140 Hornady Interlock in a Win case , fed 215 and 62.5 gr of H-4831. that gives you right at 3200 fps from the 26" barrel and under an inch groups . this bullet will perform fantastic on game, you really can't beat it at any price.

Thanks guys for the tips!

Hey sixpack, it's good to know someone else is still using these old Westerners. I'm curious, have you found your rifles to be fussy about what you load them with? Mine sure seems to be. I've got newer rifles that will shoot most anything into about the same group size, but the old Westerner seems to vary widely depending on what it's "fed". That's why I'm going to try some newer bullets.

Thanks again.

You know I didn't try any loads that were awful, but some better than others. I used to use the 140 gr Sierra but it wasn't that great on game, not even in the same class as the Hornady.

The new TSX would be a good one to try, the accubond hasn't impressed me so I haven't tried it.

What year is your gun? is it the early iron oxide coated barrel , smoke blue or carbon steel? the old timers said the late carbon barrels weren't as accurate but I doubt it makes a difference.

Thanks again sixpack! I hear alot of guys using those Accubonds in other calibers, but I've never tried them either.

I dont know when my rifle was made and I'm away from home now so I cant even check the serial number. I'm thinking 495000 range. I was not aware that they changed the barrel technologies. I bought it used in the late 60s or early 70s.

Do you happen to know the serial number for the division? Weren't some of them stainless steel?

There isn't a clear number break , but 495, would be late 1960 so it's first year production it wouldn't be carbon.

Your barrel is stainless, if it has a bead blasted deep blue look it's iron oxide coated and then the iron was blued. around the time your gun was made they came up with a way to blue stainless and it looks smokey, same barrel just a different finish.

I have a Westerner, the serial number is in the 491000 range. It is by far my most cherished possession. My father-in-law bought this gun in the late 50's when he drew one of the first Bighorn sheep tags ever issued in Co. He gave the gun to me about 25 years ago, I think he got tired of me drooling on his gun cabinet. I also have a Ruger M77 that I bought about 5 Years ago that I have shot great sub moa groups with. I have worked up a load that both guns will shoot sub moa, 140 Grain Berger VLD, 61 Grains RL25, Federal Mag primers, right @ 3100 fps. I took this load to Texas 2 years ago shot 2 Whitetails and an Auodad all between 200 and 350 yards Bang...Flop!!! I really like the way this load shoots both on paper and in the field...Good Luck...

Later, L.T.

I have thought about the VLD, but what is going to happen on the 100 yard shots? the construction looks pretty fragile but I don't know.

That kind of history with a gun is neat, I love the old guns they have class the new plastic ones will never have.

LT - Thanks for the tip on Bergers. I've read about them and they seem to have legendary accuracy, but I wondered about them in the Westerner. They recommend seating them in the lands and they are a long bullet. Could you load them to seat in the lands and still fit in the magazine? They also recommend a 1/8 twist, but I guess you found them OK in the 1/10?

Bruce

My load with the 264 is 68.5 gr of Retumbo, WW case, 215M primer and 140 Berger seated .010 off the lands. I haven't really tried this load in my Westerner but my Rem CDL and my custom both shoot it well. I'm getting 3150 fps out of the 26" Rem and 3225 fps out of the 27.5" Broughton on my custom.

I seat the Bergers just off the lands, I would have to check to see exactly how far. They are long but will fit the magazine on both of my guns. I shot a 400 lb bear this last spring with my 300 WM @ about 90 yards with 175 grain Berger, took out the shoulder and recovered the bullet in the off shoulder just under the hide. It knocked him right down, he got up and went about 25 yards before piling up. When I was in Texas we shot hogs from 50 yards to 400 yards same result Bang...Flop...I'm sold on Berger bullets. They shoot well and have performed well for me...

Later, L.T.

Thanks again guys for all the help! I'll try to absorb it all and then go purchase some new bullets and powder and when it warms up get a shooting session in with the old gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom