26x or 36x fixed for spotting scope...

huntindad4

Very Active Member
I need advice from other hunters on this one. I know the basic advantages and disadvantages of each I just want to hear some personal experience reasons I may not be thinking about.

I have the Pentax PF80ED with the Zoom so I can use it for many situations but want one of the wide angle fixed power lenses for glassing with the scope at long distances with a better FOV.

The 26x has a FOV of 150ft. at 1000 yds. and the 36x has a FOV of 110 ft. at 1000 yds.

Both would have more FOV than the zoom at 20x which is 90 ft. at 1000 yds.

My concerns are heat wave and low light with the 36x and just not enough power with the 26x for glassing LONG distance.

Bill

I don't know a lot about optics but from my limited experience I have found that often a lower power but better optical design combined with better glass will allow you to see much more. I also know any fixed lense vs a zoom will produce a much better image. So a high quality 30x or 40x may allow a much better view than a lower zoom quality 60x. But you probably already know this just sayin'

Thanks for the response.

I am looking for a little more first hand real world experience with the two side by side though. I know it will be a matter of opinion and intended use but anything helps.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom