30,000 fewer applications

ArizonaBuild

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, JUNE 7, 2010:

BIG-GAME LICENSE DRAWING RESULTS AVAILABLE ONLINE WEDNESDAY, JUNE 9

SANTA FE -- Hunters who applied for New Mexico 2010-2011 deer, elk, antelope, ibex, javelina, bighorn sheep and Barbary sheep licenses can see if they made the drawing "lucky list" Wednesday, June 9, on the Department of Game and Fish website, www.wildlife.state.nm.us.

Hunters who were successful in the drawings will be mailed licenses and carcass tags according to species. Unsuccessful applicants will receive refunds for prepaid license fees -- by check if the application was on paper, or by credits to credit cards if payment was online.

The Department received 132,761 applications for 62,471 licenses, a decline of almost 30,000 applications -- 18,766 residents and 9,130 nonresidents -- from the previous year. The declines included almost 15,000 applicants for deer licenses and just more than 10,000 for elk licenses.

This year, the Department began requiring all applicants to pay the full license fees at the time of application. Previously, only those who submitted paper applications were required to submit full upfront payments. Online applicants were only charged the application fee upfront, with their credit cards charged for the license fee only if they were successful in the drawing.

Almost 80 percent of this year's applicants took advantage of the Department's online application process, which was first offered in 2004.

Hunters wishing to check their drawing results can log in to their account on the Department website, www.wildlife.state.nm.us. Hunters also can check their results in person by visiting Department offices in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Raton, Roswell and Las Cruces. Results will be available June 23 by telephone at (505) 476-8000.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publications/press_releases/documents/2010/060710drawresults.html

I knew upfront fees would have an impact. Like I said, I knew 2 people personally that put kids,wives etc who really dont hunt in the pool. Now most of that is thinning out. As much as I love NM and the people here, there is alot of corruption. I cannot wait for the govenor election. Time to clean house.

>I knew upfront fees would have
>an impact. Like I said,
>I knew 2 people personally
>that put kids,wives etc who
>really dont hunt in the
>pool. Now most of that
>is thinning out. As much
>as I love NM and
>the people here, there is
>alot of corruption. I cannot
>wait for the govenor election.
>Time to clean house.

Bullbreath, I do not understand. Your friends that put their kids and wife in did they hunt their tags? Did they go and the husband/father shot it for them?
I am all for putting in kids and wives if they hunt themselves even if it means less tags for the hardcore hunters.
But, if it is some guy hunting his kids or wifes tag I hope that guy gets nailed.

paul, i think he means kids are a priority but he is the first priority. thats how i used to be now im really gettin sick of hunting. if i dont be a little more careful in the field the feds are eventually gonna catch me burrying landowners.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

This makes waiting for Wednesday easier - thanks. Before you had to submit the full fee upfront, I put in for all species and now I am down to elk and antelope. This might have bumped my odds from no way in hell to I guess it is possible. Look what it did to the number of antelope applications last year when that rule went into effect for that species - even if I do not draw I think it was a good move by the State.

I believe he is saying he knew 2 people that put their wives and kids in the draw but the wives and kids did not hunt.

That is some of the best news I have read in a while. I talked my brother into putting in for Elk this year, all he hears from his friends is how you never draw in NM. We haven't hunted together for 20 yrs. and I would love for that camaraderie to come back in our lives. I hear a lot of people whining about it, we split the weapon choice. I love to bow hunt and he likes to firearm hunt,we will have to see who bends to the others like, when we draw.

Yet while I celebrate this news, it is sad that we as a state were down over 9,000 NR apps. They are in their own pool so it does not affect me, but it is a BIG potential income loss for the state.

And I don't just mean the department. Just think about how much money comes INTO this state through hunting revenue!

I don't know how much easier it makes the anticipation after reading that, my hopes are even higher.

This is the first year I have put in for NM, mostly because I was expecting the drop in apps.

Good luck guys.

Unless the economy turns around, expect the same next year.

Being a NR, the elk unit I put in for has 7.5 tags. If I draw, I am going to Vegas!

>I believe he is saying he
>knew 2 people that put
>their wives and kids in
>the draw but the wives
>and kids did not hunt.
>

That is what I meant. I am all for youth hunts. Here is another thing. I know a person who got a little more interested when it was app fee only. He drew a unit 15 archery hunt that many would love to have. After one weekend during the 10day hunt, he said he wasnt going to drive down that far again. Pay upfront is ethical because it is the responsible thing to understand your committed to the full fee regardless. 30k less, I bet success rates will go up now that you have serious people hunting.

Yet while I celebrate this news, it is sad that we as a state were down over 9,000 NR apps. They are in their own pool so it does not affect me, but it is a BIG potential income loss for the state.

I think the state may be smarter than most give them credit for. IMO they expected that type of drop, thus raising the app fees from last year. Even if that wasn't their thinking, they still made close to the same money.

I'd be very surprised if it even made a difference in the hard-to-draw units. Last year when supposedly the economy was even worse (people still in shock) hard-to-draw units in other states still had nearly the same number of applications.

The Christian

>I'd be very surprised if it
>even made a difference in
>the hard-to-draw units. Last
>year when supposedly the economy
>was even worse (people still
>in shock) hard-to-draw units in
>other states still had nearly
>the same number of applications.
>
>
>The Christian

my guess is it would be a little less than half the percentage of the overall drop. Probably 6-8% better odds. A handful of hunters in each Q unit will now draw that otherwise would not have. JMO

I am also guessing most of the decline is related to wives, kids, and those who weren't very serious in the first place.

Here is one example (my situation). I used to apply for non-res elk, deer, antelope, sheep, and ibex for myself and my two sons. However, I just can't afford $18,870 ($405 non-refundable) for each of us to apply for all of these species plus other tags in other states. We had to drop the sheep and ibex from our wish list (40% reduction). If other individuals or families are in the same boat, you can see why the number of applications could go down pretty quickly.

NM used to be a cheap state to apply for several species. However, at $27 non-refundable fee per species, I think NM has now put themselves in par with other states like ID, AZ and UT that requrie the purchase of a hunting license (but you don't gain preference points in NM).

I am a non resident and used to put me and my wife in for everything in NM but now I just put me in and for Everything excpet sheep. That is a more than a 50% reduction in what I put in for. If you put in for everthing in NM as a non-resident your non-refundable portion is about the same up to double of several other States and NM does not offer bonus points and has terrrible odds. My family has put in for well over 100 different draws in NM and I yet to draw.

I'm thinking nonresident deer had to have the biggest drop, it was a great backup plan, very small investment lost if you can't go...Now you have bought the tag if you draw. I bet NMGFD lost quite a bit of $$$ due to not purchased nonresident deer tags...

My hopes just jumped up. Hope I draw both deer and elk now.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Okay, so after a little math and some scratching of my head I have come up with a few numbers to ponder. I assume that the state raised fees and went to the pay up front method because their analysts told them they would loose apps and make more money. Thus my findings.

First off, the numbers I came up with based on last years reports showed that there were only about 21,000 less applicants than last year. Still good though.

All that aside, I will use my numbers because they should actually show the conservative end of all this. Using the numbers that I came up with from last season, if NR apps are down 9130 then they went down about 27% compared to last seasons over all NR apps. I know that the odds will not change by that much on all hunt choices, but that is a hefty change. Resident apps were down 18,766 or 15% from last seasons numbers. Pretty good numbers I think(if you are looking to better odds)

Now the money. Again, I am using my numbers from last year. Last years apps brought an estimated $1,130,328. If you take the total number of apps this year and act like every one of them are residents (which obviously they aren't) then the estimated profit is $1,593,132.

All this to say that I believe this was a step in the right direction for the state of New Mexico. I am not saying it was a cure all, or that there are not things that need fixing, but this helped.

So how did I get my numbers? I added the total number of 1st choices apps for Res NR and Guided NR across all hunts involved in this draw. Total number of 154,647 apps last season. 120,906 residents and 33741 NR apps.

Well I'm one of the 30000 that did not apply in nm, and honestly won't again until the nmgfd pulls their heads out! Money and economy had nothing to do with my decision, I figure I'm better off with a night vision scope and a snug top than to keep giving this state another dime! Good luck in the draw boys!

I just call em as I see em!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-10 AT 06:22AM (MST)[p]Please explain "that outcome" Elkman. I obviously need a dose of your wisdom.......

It is clear that you feel pretty strongly about something.

I got curious as to what all the numbers added up to and thought I would share them. I don't know what the intentions of the state were, but if they were as I mentioned then they are on track. If that was not the plan, then they should evaluate the situation.

I personally don't mind the upfront fees. If you are applying for the hunt then you are saying that you are good for the money, so why not pay up front? I don't like the increase in the app fees, but so is life.

Amen fishfurlife. In my opinion I wish all state would do that and not allow turning back in to preserve points as well. I would also like to see points only eliminated. Many states are so "top heavy" that no new applicants will ever have a chance, let alone be able to figure when they may be ableto draw.

>Amen fishfurlife. In my opinion I
>wish all state would do
>that and not allow turning
>back in to preserve points
>as well. I would also
>like to see points only
>eliminated. Many states are so
>"top heavy" that no new
>applicants will ever have a
>chance, let alone be able
>to figure when they may
>be ableto draw.

Utah used to have it set up so grandma with 15 points could apply as part of group so increased group's odds of being drawn...then turn back in her tag to get her points back.

Point systems all have issues but mainly they punish youth who were not able to apply in Year 1 of the point system.

States love point systems since an applicant is very hesitant to skip a year of applying. How many hunters passed on NM or ID this year but will jump back in when the economy gets better and be at no disadvantage the first year they return to the draw?

NM has 30K less appicants this year.

I prefer a blended approach to a system where some of the tags reward long-term unsuccessful applicants and some of the tags are awarded with no preference.

My 2 cents.

NM has 30K less appicants this year. Big whoop!! Still didn't draw 2B which is 15 minutes from my house.. 9 years and counting and no elk either.

>I am a non resident and
>used to put me and
>my wife in for everything
>in NM but now I
>just put me in and
>for Everything excpet sheep.
>That is a more than
>a 50% reduction in what
>I put in for.
>If you put in for
>everthing in NM as a
>non-resident your non-refundable portion is
>about the same up to
>double of several other States
>and NM does not offer
>bonus points and has terrrible
>odds. My family has
>put in for well over
>100 different draws in NM
>and I yet to draw.
>
Just an update this I was 0 for 5 again and my dad was also 0 for 5 again-Maybee Next Year-Higher Fees did not help me-just cost me more money-However, I did have a friend draw antelope-

0 for All again this year in NM. I guess I should not complain with a January 2001 Rhodes Canyon Oryx tag in my pocket?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom