30-06 or 300 wsm??

waspocrew

I've been looking at my rifles lately and I've been thinking that a .30 cal needs to round out the collection. I've got a B-day coming up and have been thinking that a rifle would be a fun gift to myself.

I think I'm torn between a 30-06 and 300 WSM. I should also mention that I'm only 160 lbs and don't really want to kill myself with the big magnums. I'd like either to be an elk rifle and also bigger game (Alaska someday). I really don't see myself taking game anywhere past 500 yards at all. Most likely would be under 300, but it would be nice to have the option just in case. I have access to reloading equipment so cost wouldn't be a huge issue.

What caliber would you go with and why?

Rifles I'm looking at: Tikka T3 and Rem 700 SPS. I've found both in town in 30-06 for $549 (tikka) and $599 (remmy) Both are stainless which isn't a huge selling point.

Just curious to hear your thoughts!

You can't go wrong with either. I have both & tend to go to my 300 WSM most of the time when Elk are considered. Recoil isn't bad with WSM. Myself ,if I was choosing between the 2 ,I would go 300 WSM.

300wsm hands down. I have been shooting this caliber for 5 years now and love it. Have taken 3 animals at 500+

}}-SLIVER-->

I have both as well as a standard 300 Win Mag. They all do the job and havn't had an animal shrug off a shot yet. Pick the one you like the most. If I had to lean to one between the 06 and the WSM I would pick the WSM just because it gives you a little bit more omphh when shooting heavier bullets.

Do you plan to shoot factory ammo or handload your own ammo?
I have a Tikka T3 .300 WSM, it is a nice gun and I like the cartridge. I do handload though.

go with 300wsm i have 2 of them rem model 700 and a howa with a christsen fiber barrel both are excellent shooting guns mentioned before recoil is not bad

Can't go wrong with either one. A 30-06 will recoil less and a 300WSM will give you more FPS/energy.

For me, I'll take a 30-06, in a Tikka, using a 168gr Barnes TTSX at about 2,900fps, and would feel confident to kill most anything in NA.

I have standard and magnum chambered guns in my safe. They will all do the deed. When it all boils down you will find:

1. The WSM will not kill a critter any deader than the 30-06 will.

2. The 30-06 has much cheaper ammo as well as brass, less powder consumption, so its more economical to shoot. If its more affordable to shoot, the you may shoot more and be a better shot.

3. The 30-06 has less recoil which makes it more comfortable to shoot. Again, if its more comfortable to shoot, you may shoot more and become a better shot.

4. The 30-06 will give you an extra $50 towards good optics, or more ammo.

The old addage of "It's the Indian, not the arrow" comes to mind in this case.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom