.300 H&H

couesbitten

I've got a buddy at work who is looking to buy some brass for reloading. If you have any or know a good place to get some, he'd appreciate the help. Scott

They are all over ebay, but expect to pay about $1.50 each. Remington also usually makes a seasonal run of it, it is available through places like Midway, but he will have to wait for who knows how long......

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

I bought some a few years ago from a small company in South Dakota, it is W-W brass, I'll have to go back and see what their contact info is. I thought they were a very decent deal.

Scott,
I didn't realize how long it had been (10 years!)But here is the info:
DAC Import - Export
P.O. Box 1332
Rapid City, SD. 57709-1332

ph# 605-342-2449
fax# 605-342-5665

orders only # 800-344-2450

hopefully they are still in business because back then their prices were great, like 20 rounds brass for .300 H&H for $9.50 which included a slip top plactic ammo box, shipping was extra.

300 H&H is like 264, 284 and other obsolete cartridges they make a run of brass every year or two. the 300 H&H is a good round but hard on brass, it's easy to rechamber it to 300 WBY if that's of any interest. I wouldn't if it's a pre-64 70 though.

The last I bought was at Sportsman's Warehouse. And I think they had it stocked last time I was there. Also, I believe Nosler will be making custom brass in this caliber.

I wouldn't call the 300 H&H obsolete. Factory ammo is still available.

Obsolete refers to a cartridge no longer chambered by factory gunmakers. sure something like the 700 classic comes along now and then but it's day has passed.

I understand the term "obsolete" to refer to a round no longer available in factory ammo. "Obsolescent" refers to a round no longer chambered in factory rifles, but factory ammo is still available. So, the 300 H&H would be obsolescent rather than obsolete. As I understand the terms. At any rate, we are splitting hairs. A little strange referring to my elk rifle that shoots 200 gr. ABs at 2900 fps as "obsolete" or "obsolescent". But that's OK, I like being the only guy in camp with obsolescent equipment.

Don't get me wrong I have a 300 H&H Super Grade and I've hunted with it and it's a great round. but from a practical stand point all 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag are faster , shorter and their brass last longer. it doesn't mean the H&H is no good it just has it's draw backs therefore it will become more obsolescent if you prefer. you must have a good load, about 3000 is all I can get with a 180 out of mine before I get a sticky bolt.

No argument here. I use the H&H because that's what my rifle is chambered in. Still, they haven't improved a whole lot on a cartridge that was introduced in 1920. I enjoy the nostalgia.

Dude,

I load mine with 71.5 grains of RL22 and 180 gr. partitions and they crono 3124 fps. The barrel is a 26" shilen. Try it. No signs of over pressure. I am by no means an expert but have heard that the 8 groove shilen match barrel is good for an extra 100fps and that adds up but doesn't make alot of sense to me. Sound possible??

JB

I guess the lighter rifling could increase velocity some by digging into the bullet less, I'd have to look but if I remember right the pre-64's have a 4 groove so it could make a difference not to mention the higher quality smoother bore of your barrel. a little can be a lot when you're dealing with such pressures. I haven't shot mine in years , I always used H-4831 but I don't doubt the new powders could give you a little more.

In the past I have had problems with case seperation with my 300 H&H. What I do now is reload the old 300 H&H cases one time and toss them. How many times do you guys reload your 300 H&H cases?
Don

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-07 AT 11:54AM (MST)[p]Wanna hear a sad story? My Grandfather owned a 50's Model 70 .300 H&H that he hunted with through the 80's, he would fire about 3-4 rounds per year out of it total, grew up during the depression so he really learned the value of a bullet. Anyways, when he died my anti-hunter cousin got it :( I have tried everything to get it from him, but he knows I will just end up killing things with it, lol.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

NoDoe , your problem is common with the H&H. it was designed for cordite stick powder is why it's shaped the way it is and with no shoulder it flows brass bad. Nosler is going to make brass for the H&H and it's much thicker than WW, it should last longer but you'll have to back your loads off and work up again.

It's all correct, hard to tell from pictures but it looks very possible it's all original finish too. nice as they come if it looks as good in person as pictures. it has the dry look with grain and the forearm screw has no finish in it, not a sure way to tell but 90% of refinished stocks have junk in the screw hole. the color of the stock is a little light for a '54 gun is my biggest concern .

Look at the barrel stamping. The top of Winchester, H&H, and Magnum are buffed off. Looks like it has been reblued to me

Don

I noticed that too but I have some guns I know are original and they look similar. sometimes if the roll stamp left an area raised more than it should be they buffed it before it was blued, something they wouldn't bother with today. it has the correct tampico brush type prep work to it also, looks good to me but without it in your hands it's hard to say.

I agree the first one look real. this one looks like a nice honest gun but he's dreaming with a starting price like that, for a plasic butt standard grade forget it.

The one I was loading for is from the late 1930's, has a five digit # and the barrel is stamped "300 MAGNUM" the 3 position safety works the oposite direction of a newer M70, and many years ago someone had a red rubber recoil pad put on, it was disintegrating so we replaced it, and it had a 7/8" weaver M330 scope with a post reticle, which we took off and put on a leupold 3x9. it will shoot 1 - 1 1/2" 3 shot groups any time.

The early ones were stamped that way because there was no other 30 cal magnum at the time. if you still have that 330 scope some of those are worth as much as your gun.

dude, we still have everything. my bro-in-law bought that gun from some one about 9 years ago for $600.00 scope and all, included an old yellow box of 20 rounds winchester 150 gr silvertips, too.

Some 330's are worth more than others and I can't tell which ones they are. I sold a bunch of scopes I'd taken off guns through the years on ebay a while back and the 330 I had brought $500, I thought it was just a piece of junk for a pellet gun. well it was a peice of junk , but an expensive one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom