37 hunting

257nut

we hunted 37 for deer during the muzzle hunt. all that time in we saw a total of six does and one small buck. we hunted the western part. talked to a number of hunters and they didn't even see a deer. saw lots of elk in the alpha tank area and the waterhole area. that was the only hole held water, rest were bone dry. found four deer and two cow elk killed by lions (tracks around them and near by in the waches). tons of elk tracks and droppings. not as crowded as rifle season. people were spread much better. the hunt was still fun

the lions have been bad in that part of the unit for a few years now. ill be out there next weekend but we will be more in the central part of the unit

I know a few people that have taken some nice bucks out of that area. Ive hunted the unit twice, im only going a third time cause my dad likes the area. The first year I saw about one hundred elk and about seven or eight deer around Carrizo peak. The second time saw no sign in the same area, and spike near the Jicarilla area. This year ill mess around the Ancho area, im sure ill see lots of hunters, and that is about it. The public land in that unit seems a bit small to support the amount of hunters game and fish allows in there for the rifle season. Am I just missing something, or is this area way over hunted????? By the way, if anyone has any Barbary sheep ideas for this unit I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

257nut,
If you dont mind sharing with me where you found those lion kills, Ill sure try to take care of some of those predators for you!

Ryan

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-12 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]We went 1 out of 3 for deer on the muzzy hunt as well. My buddy bagged this one the second day of the hunt near the seven cabins area near the wilderness. This is his first nm buck and first hunt in nm after relocating here about 7 yrs ago.
2236image.jpg

I want to thank NMHUNTER for helping a newbie to the area figure out some starting points to begin scouting. Good luck on your hunt.

hey no problem always willing to help out when i can. thanks again for the update on what you guys saw. glad you guys scored on that buck. would have been better if you all tagged out, but hey 1 is better than nothing. now i just hope i can get away from all the rifle hunters next weekend.

I was there too...hunting private land in 37 Muzzy. I've noticed the deer head count was way down this year. Someone told me that blue tongue disease hit the herd and drought conditions were bad this year. What's blue tongue disease anyways? Glad I wasn't the only one to notice the missing deer. Last year the numbers were decent....small bucks though......

tough hunting this year. the bucks i had found early in the summer were gone. still we went 2 for 3 and killed a couple small bucks the last 2 days of the hunt.

Never heard of the bluetongue before so i looked it up! FYI

Hemorrhagic (Blue Tongue) Disease in Deer

Hemorrhagic Disease is often called either Blue Tongue Disease or Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). Blue Tongue and EHD or separate diseases, but run so closely together in blood test that they are sometimes impossible to tell apart. This disease occurs mostly in sheep, but has also been found in cattle, goats, buffalo, antelope, and deer. Outbreaks in the U.S. occur in deer almost yearly in the Southeastern States.

This disease is spread by biting midges like flies or gnats. Some of the symptoms of this disease are high fever, excessive salivation, and swelling of the facial area and tongue. The blue tongue that gives the disease its name occurs only in a small number of cases. Once the deer is bitten and infected with the virus most symptoms will began to show within a few weeks. The death rate is usually low but tends to more noticeable in seasons of high temperatures and little rain. When a deer is infected with the virus their extremely careful nature is often changed. They move toward water and shade to try to comfort themselves from the high fever. They are less fearful of humans, and lose their appetite for food. Death can come from hemorrhages of the heart or other glands and starvation. The disease is nontransferable to humans. It can only be carried by biting insects infected with the disease.

Hey Guys
Have a good friend that is taking his grandson to 37 this weekend, Nov. 17 to 21st (Deer)
Never hunted the unit so thought I would ask for some help for the kid. They were thinking about camping/hunting the Indian Divide area is this a good starting point? PM me if you want.I can share some info on the northern part of the state. 50,52 and 53

Thanks
CC

that would probably be the best bet. the deer tend to cross back and forth from 36 to 37 in that area. they probably wont see a whole lot of deer, but they should find a few.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom