.45 ACP

great post. thanks for sharing.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
- H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

As compared to the 40 S&W I have to compare but the 45 is worth reloading. What is the best weight bullet for self defense with a .45 ?

Best weight for a self defense load is either 200 or 230 gr. HP. for deeper penetration into vitals.

RELH

I have carried an old colt that belonged to my Dad. It shoots very well. I liked the 230 grn. As for reloads for self defence I would not recommend it. By all means reload to shoot for fun and practise, BUT if you ever have to use it for self defence make sure you are loaded with = factory loaded self defence rounds= You do not want to face legal issues of being loaded with your "made to kill" homerolleds. Find a FACTORY round you like ( I would suggest hornady critical defence) and then roll your own to match it as close as you can. then I'd ask you to practise,practise practise, and keep it loaded with Factory ammo when you carry. Good luck I hope you enjoy your 45 and shoot it a lot, but never have to use it.

I have two 45 acp's. I have a Kimber Stainless TLE/RL II and a XDs. Both are very accurate with the 200 gr Hornady XTP. My load is not hot by any means. I use the 200 gr with 9.0 gr of HS6, Fed 150 primers, and a COAL of 1.230

This is a bullet that was shot through a subaru car door into a pair of denim pants with a flannel shirt stuffed in them. This bullet was found in the dirt on the other side.

bullet1.jpg

I also load a Lee cast bullet. it weighs 230 gr and I use 5.2 gr of WW 231 with a COAL of 1.265. This is a very accurate bullet out to 15 yards and I have shot several ground squirrels with it.

4-15-12D.jpg

The 200 gr is a good load and I use it for carry or calling coyotes.

Coyote1.jpg

The 45 is a great round and easy to shoot. Ron

I'm a high volume shooter and reloader of .45 acp, going through 300 rounds a week on average. I used to load Berrys plated 230 grain over W231. Just recently switched to X treme bullets. The couple thousand I have shot have me very impressed and its all I will buy now.

Like others have mentioned for self defense I rely on factory loaded rounds. I like the Federal tactical bonded 230 grain round.

Foundation, I have been using X-Treme 230 gr. plated RN for several years now with 5.3 gr. W231 as my IDPA load. Very accurate load in all my 1911s. The owner of X-treme bullets told me several years ago that he decided to size all his 45 plated bullets to .452 from .451 and I think that is the reason why they have proved to be more accurate in most 1911 guns. That and they are double strike to insure perfect sizing.
I still have about 8 thousand of them in my reloading room. Their 357, 41, and 44 plated are also very accurate for target loads. My daily carry 1911 is loaded with Law Enforcement Federal Premium HST 230 gr. HP.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom