51 elk

bowhunter

Looking at purchasing an elk tag in 51 what do you guys think about this unit not looking to kill a monster just a good bull.it's a unit wide tag any info on where to hunt thanks

What is a "good bull" to you?

51 to me seems like a great meat hunter unit with some ok bulls. I hunted it two years ago.

Sorry to bust your bubble but a 300" bull is very tough in this unit. Tough to even get a 6x6 in that unit. Especially in 50 and 52. Don't get me wrong it's doable but tougher. Lots of very young bulls.

Any of the 50, 51, 52 are good in quantity but low in quality.

>Sorry to bust your bubble but
>a 300" bull is very
>tough in this unit. Tough
>to even get a 6x6
>in that unit. Especially in
>50 and 52. Don't get
>me wrong it's doable but
>tougher. Lots of very young
>bulls.
>
>Any of the 50, 51, 52
>are good in quantity but
>low in quality.

x2!

here is a nice 6x6 bull my dad killed in 51 in 2014 51 inches wide big 6x6 this is a good as you will find there i havent seen many come out of this unit bigger than this guy .

PRO TIP. Lock all your ##### up and chain everything thieves roam this unit that is the only downfall ,Tons if elk ill echo most comments not a ton of big bulls dont be picky we got lucky with this one

>here is a nice 6x6 bull
>my dad killed in 51
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/5569751.jpg
>in 2014 51 inches wide
>big 6x6 this is a
>good as you will find
>there i havent seen many
>come out of this unit
>bigger than this guy .
>
>
>PRO TIP. Lock all your #####
>up and chain everything thieves
>roam this unit that is
>the only downfall ,Tons if
>elk ill echo most comments
>not a ton of big
>bulls dont be picky we
>got lucky with this one
>

beautiful area though. Near ridge where we killed him

85021view.jpg

Good numbers But finding bulls that score over 300 are hard to find in that area,But there are a few, Lots of 260-280 type bulls that is a good thing because the do alot of bugling and fighting because they are closely matched so a herd bull might get pushed out every few days.You find a Big bull and he will be the herd bull for the whole rut. IMO
I always liked smoothing out the tracks around the tanks and then checking them for BIG tracks. Then sitting up somewhere to glass the closest bedding area's and see if I can find the one that made those Big tracks.
Every year it seems we do find a bull that scores well over the 300 mark putting him on the ground is a different story.
Hunt the thick dark trees bedding area's during the day and sit water in the morning and evening seem to work for us. If you spook up elk during the day and they move around they will be looking for water before grazing that evening.
SO sometimes that work for ya to know where the next water is for them to use. Good Luck. I love hunting 51

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom