54 Cal Question

Salmon

Hello, Am going to AZ on a late elk hunt. I have always used this load (120 gr 2ff) and a 415 gr maxi-ball. Shots have been 100yds or less. Do you think this load would work out to 200 yd also. I have about 600 bullets in this weight. Thanks in advance.

All I can say is try it on the range. Since you have 600 of them, start shooting and see if you can hit accurately. Hitting the target is half of the battle. You can shoot over a chronograph and get the velocity then run some ballistics to see if it has enough energy. Just guestimating, you are probably looking at 1550-1600 fps which will give you ~1460 ft-lbs @ 100 yards. If you zero at 100 yards and using a very generous BC of .18, you will be about 2 feet low at 200 yards. You will also have about 1050 -ft lbs of energy. Wind drift in a 10 mph cross wind is 16", and time of flight is about one half second. I don't think I would take the first shot at a bull at 200 yards with this setup. If he is wounded and going away, I would drop the hammer.

I am not a fan of the maxiball. I like Hornady great plains better than the maxiball or the maxihunter. I think the the TC bullets are way too soft. I have a hardness tester. The TC maxi's are butter soft. The Hornady Great plains bullets are a pinch harder but still very soft. Those bullets will deform substantially at the shot. Especially with a 120 gr load. Here is the simple truth. I don't think those bullets have what it takes for 200 yards on elk. Under 100 yards is where I would keep them. I have tested a lot of bullets. I would NOT shoot an elk with a TC Maxi of any kind. TC's quality control is just not there. Look at this bullet I found in a box.

2250Crap_TC_bullet.jpg

The 54 has a poor selection of bullets and even worse selection of moulds. Good luck. Ron

Thanks guys for your answers. The 415 gr Maxi=ball I use were hand poured by myself out of an Old Lyman Mold. Haven't ever had one come apart or fragment. FrontierGander, you think energy wise they will still penetrate etc for a kill? Friends/myself has killed probably 15 elk with them over the years but 100 yds was about max.

Yes, and i bet if you go for a double lung shot, it will still exit even at 200 yards. Just get out on the range and practice placing your shots.

FrontierMuzzleloading.com

NO I am asking FrontierGander about how he is coming up with his expertise on 200 yard shots at elk with a TC bullet. I will ask you. What is your accuracy at 200 yards? I am standing on my thoughts before. keep under 100 yards for the Maxi. Ron

Elk are not hard to kill, i got a cow at 140 yards with a simple charge of 80gr pyrodex rs and a 223 grain round ball in a 54 sidelock i had. A 54 shooting a 425gr conical is easily a 200 yard bullet.

My elk load this year involves a 250gr conical and 200 yards will be easy on an elk.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

To anyone that has killed elk. DO you consider elk to be " not hard to kill"? So you got lucky and killed one cow with an unethical shot. Do you want us to pat you on the back?
That does not make you a expert on killing elk. I am sorry but you need to get some real world experience. Your response shows your lack of knowledge on killing elk. Ron

lol nothing unethical about my shot, even doc white puts the 54cal patched ball deadly out to 175 yards. Elk are killed with 100gr 243's, its all about shot placement. My cow had both of her lungs taken out with spider web "cracks" around the main hole. Blood was easy to follow.

Some like to make elk hunting harder than it is. The biggest challenge is finding the elk and getting into position for the shot.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

Be honest how many have you killed?
I know I have killed 14 with bows, muzzleloaders and Rifles. You sound like a young guy that has gotten lucky once. Good luck in the future. This thread is going no where. Ron

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-12 AT 08:14PM (MST)[p]"Elk are not hard to kill.......... 200 yards will be easy on an elk" LOL

True in a perfect world. I don't live in that world.

Salmon, I consider the maxiball to be fine out to 150 yards. If I ever get drawn in Utah where I will max out around 200 yards with a 1X scope, I would probably move up to a Barnes type bullet or nosler partition, etc.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I had a Knight mk 85 in 54 cal. After 125 yards that thing dropped so quickly that making a lethal hit was guess work at best. I have a .45 cal that I've made several kills between 200-225 and would feel confident out to 250 with the right conditions.

That 54 caliber will kill an elk at 200 if you can make a good hit, but I think that'll be a big challenge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom