5B North archery hunt

troutsniffer

I just got back from hunting the last week of the archery hunt. It was a little frustrating with the amount of people and lack of rutting elk, but we still had a great time. At the start of the last week we were still seeing groups of 12-15 cows without a bull except spikes. The rut picked up a little the last 2 days. My friend got frustrated and let a spike have it. I ended up eating my tag. I ran into a lot of great people on the unit that were very friendly and helpful. I will post a few picks from our hunt. The best bull we saw on the trip was killed near Lake Mary by a woman in a minivan.
Sunrise
4abe8c065ff522b8.jpg

My buddy's spike
4abe8d8d68447c33.jpg

The minivan bull. It totalled the van.
4abe8e646b24ddd3.jpg

This owl landed in a tree right above me and posed for a few pics. He turned his head around almost a full 360 degrees.
4abe8f4a7073b716.jpg

These spiders would make the book!
4abe8ff272e7b247.jpg

Its too bad you weren't able to tag out. I experienced the same slow rut as you did but in 8. It defiantly seemed like a weird year. But congrats to your buddy and even with tag soup its still a fun experience.

I spent 9 days afield in 5BN and had a similar experience. Hunted the high country, low country and everything in between. Drove past Lake Mary many times - what day did that bull get killed?

That bull was killed on the 18th. The van was towed away right before we got there. The lady was waiting for a relative to come help her with the bull. She said the game and fish dept gave her a salvage tag for it. We saw several other bulls that were not that big in the same place. If I had that tag again I would probably put a snowplow on the front of my truck and just drive fast on that highway at night.

Man, I hate spiders! I saw one of those in Honduras but only it was a lot bigger and all Orange & Red. It came in our tent like some kind of creepy movie. Then a buddy of mine decided to take a pic of it and I guess the flash scared it causing it to jump up hitting his camera. I laughed so hard at him as he was trying to get away from it, running backwards. As he regained his composure, he began smashing it continuously with his boot until it resembled a big flat paper plate! Thanks for the pics, very nice.

Quest

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom